SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson to Buy Ducati
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson to Buy Ducati Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

Harley-Davidson Among Bidders To Buy Italian Ducati
Published by Cyril Huze June 21st, 2017 in Builders, Editorial and Events.

Numerous sources state that Harley-Davidson is lining up a takeover bid for Italian Ducati put up for sale by German carmaker Volkswagen, potentially bringing together two of the most famous names in motorcycling in a deal that could be worth up to 1.5 billion euros ($1.67 billion) Others are also preparing to bid: Bajaj Auto (BAJA.NS) and several buyout funds. Tentative bids are expected in July. VW hopes to raise between 1.4 and 1.5 billion euros from the sale of Ducati, valuing it at 14-15 times its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) of about 100 million euros. A source close to VW said the sale of Ducati may not be finalized before the annual EICMA motorcycle show in Milan in mid-November as VW wants to find the right buyer and the sales process may take time.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Didn't read the article yet but I wonder if this is the result of the gargantuan hicky VW took recently.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This feels like a poor fit for HD to me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Two TOTALLY different ideas on bikes.

I agree with the poster above me.... bigdeal....Not a good fit.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As long as they don't step on the duck, it will pass the sniff test.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bad idea. I hope it doesn't happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I would like to see
An American made sport bike. I don't think is how to get it done.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
No way the Italians will go for it.
Won't happen.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Harley already fucked up one sport bike company with Buell, they might as well double down and go for the 2fer. Better market penetration by buying and screwing up all the competition.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
Won't happen.

It's owned by VW, other than the name the Italians have nothing to do with ownership...

HD bought MV Augoosta a while back, didn't
pan out, but that's a very small market, HD needs a sporty image partner, and buyers for HD are a bit more financially able to buy expensive bikes, Ducks are not inexpensive, might fit, who knows.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
HD's track record with Buell and MV Agusta is one reason I am anything but thrilled with this recent news. I'd rather see a manufacturer like Polaris acquire Ducati. HD doesn't know what it's doing when it comes to sport bikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
So VW was a better fit?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
H-D bought MV Agusta several years ago for about $70 million including assumption of debt. Then they turned around and sold it back a couple of years later to the former MV Agusta CEO for $1 (One Dollar), debt free.

Chief among the issues with the MV Agusta ownership were the differences in management philosophy between Milwaukee and Italians.

Either H-D is under different management now, or they don't learn from their experiences.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
Won't happen.

I dunno, look what happened with Fiat/Chrysler and Ferrari.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VW was actually a good thing for Ducati. Reliability and service intervals improved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Bad idea. I hope it doesn't happen.

Agree. Don't ruin Ducati please.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh dear.... NOooooooo!!!!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
B'heh. Heh, heh, heh. Heh, heh, HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I don't know what's going to happen (AMF, anyone?), but it's either going to be brilliant or some of the sickest sick humor to ever come down the pike.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I think it's a smart business move, puts them in the hi performance sport bike business (Something Buell never did for them. The only thing that came out of Buell deal was the V-Rod. Stock is down from a year ago...Buy

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
This feels like a poor fit for HD to me.

I don't know the motorcycle industry but how is this any different than say Honda making regular cars and also high end Acuras?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post