SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Key fob programing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Key fob programing Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Wife just got a 2018 Chevy Traverse. Keyless fob for this is new to me.
I can get a fob but need to know if I can program it or if a dealer/locksmith is required.
Retail price of $125.00 for new fob plus $60.oo to program. I can get a fob for about $85 but still have to get it programed.
Did a search on Youtube but couldn't find anything that covers the newer models.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You can usually negotiate as many fobs as you need as part of deal, sounds like that time may be past. I've never heard of a new car coming with just one. Any chance they skimmed the second one?

If you purchase one on your own I'd recommend from a dealer or reliable OEM parts supplier. Many sources for these will sell ones that can not be programmed, or the dealers won't since it's not OEM.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kia Sorento new in 2011. It came with two fobs and I'm still on the first one. That's 7 years with no issues. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new 2015 VW TDI came with two Fobs. All new motorcycles and cars I bought in last 12 years came with two Fobs.

Dealer owes you one and a free Fob program.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, they owe you a FOB. My mom just went through this with her Pilot and had to pay $160 for a second FOB because she didn't demand one when she purchased.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It should have came with two. Did it?

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
We got 2 with the vehicle.
Just considering a spare.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, in that case go with the real deal factory stuff. My mom tried one of the cheapies and it would not work. The truck would start, but then turn right back off. lol.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
a lot of remote starter installers sell and program them can't hurt to call around and ask might be cheaper than the stealership

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a lease buyback, 2010, a number of years ago. Only came with one fob. Bought another fob on eBay. Came with instructions on how to program. Required a key on the existing fob in the ignition, and the key turned to on. Took about 30 seconds and worked the first time. Which for me and electronics was amazing!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont know about others but the newer GMs have to be dealer or licensed locksmith programed.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I have ordered replacement Key Fobs from this place.

They came with directions.

Call them their technical support was great.

The directions they sent with a new one was a poor copy and could net read it well. Called them and they emailed me directions.

https://ikeyless.com/?gclid=EA...JEAAYASAAEgK1mPD_BwE

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Some FOB’s can be programmed to the vehicle without special tools, some cannot. Need to verify your vehicle.

For example. My 2003 Jeep needs a scanner to connect to the BCM to program a FOB. My girls 2003 Mustang can program a FOB without a scanner.

They are vehicle/manufacturer specific.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
I have ordered replacement Key Fobs from this place.

They came with directions.

Call them their technical support was great.

The directions they sent with a new one was a poor copy and could net read it well. Called them and they emailed me directions.

https://ikeyless.com/?gclid=EA...JEAAYASAAEgK1mPD_BwE

You can buy the remote but I think starting with 2012 GM requires it to be programmed by the dealer or locksmith.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
There are vendors that specialize in fobs and programming. Your local Carmax can steer you to the guy they use.

I just bought two new ones for my Tundra on Ebay. Aftermarket remotes were $35 for a pair shipped, OEM's were $120/pr. Seller had great feedback, so I took a shot. They came with programming instructions, and work perfectly.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post