Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

El Paso Login/Join 
posted
Thinking about a job offer out that way.
Any members live / lived there with an opinion?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It's practically part of Mexico and there are a lot of Muslims/Arabs there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I hear Marty Robbins fell in love with a Mexican girl there.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
They like to brag that they are the safest city in the country.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Ciudad Jaurez North as it's often referred to.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I lived there for 3.5 years. We moved to Orlando from El Paso.

Not a bad place. Middle of nowhere. Low violent crime, that stays mostly south of the border. The cartel bosses keep that shit in Mexico where the LE is easily corruptable. They don't want the attention of American LE.

Nice weather year round if you can stand the dry heat. The 4,000 elevation makes for great cardio. You can bike just about year round there.

-Cost of living is low. We rented a 2,200 square foot house for $1,250/month.
-Beware a lot of houses have swamp coolers instead of forced air.
-Spanish is the dominant language but you won't have any issues if you can't habla espanol.
-Drivers are awful, worst I've seen anywhere outside of muslim countries.
-It's windy and dusty there.
-Stay in the 79911 and 79912 area codes.
-Traffic is awful, even worse if you're in the far east.
-Avoid I-10. Daily accidents that shut down the entire road. They don't move them off to keep traffic flowing.
-Eat at L&J Cafe for Mexican food and Cattleman's in Fabens for steak.
-Phoenix is 6.5 hour drive, Albuquerque is 4, San Antonio is 9. Not much in between.
-A lot of Soldiers there, large part of the economy relates to Ft. Bliss.
-Jobs are typically low paying retail and service jobs.
-Labor is cheap. Had 11 tons of gravel moved from driveway to backyard for $250.
-Great MMA gym on the west side if you're so inclined.

If you have more specific questions, let me know here or e-mail.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I could not resist.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hope your Spanish is good.

I was born and raised there and lived there until '97. I haven't found a reason to visit since I left. It's probably different now, but my parents opted to move us across the country to farmland where the gunshots in the night are coyote hunters and deer jackers, and where I saw one or two hallway fistfights at school instead of some kid getting jumped by a gang and beaten with a chain until he stopped moving. The middle school I went to fed into Hanks High, which was one of the most violent in the city at the time and I was one of maybe a few dozen white kids in a school of hundreds. I watched a fat white kid get swarmed by dozens of mexicans and blacks on the playground and basically get gang-beaten for calling someone a "black whore." I had a shell casing collection purely of empties found on the sidewalk or side of the street. Being spit on for being a "pinche gringo piece of chit" at about age 9 or so was a formative experience. Our neighbor's houses got tagged regularly, I got chased home by a pack of cholos one day after school, and then there was the day the low rider convertible with the top down and two guys wearing wigs, sunglasses and hoods up pulled up on the curb and were shouting at me with the passenger reaching for his waistband and standing up so I could see that. The driver said something to him, and then he sat down and they sped off, disgusted that I hadn't been worth their time, just some 11 year old kid that froze on the sidewalk like a rabbit. This was on the east side, supposedly a good part of town.

But like I say, it's probably different now.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Back in the 90s, I had to go there several times to work out a resolution to a customer dispute.

I found some great Mexican restaurants, but did not otherwise care for it for the reasons mentioned above.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Hope your Spanish is good.

I was born and raised there and lived there until '97. I haven't found a reason to visit since I left. It's probably different now, but my parents opted to move us across the country to farmland where the gunshots in the night are coyote hunters and deer jackers, and where I saw one or two hallway fistfights at school instead of some kid getting jumped by a gang and beaten with a chain until he stopped moving. The middle school I went to fed into Hanks High, which was one of the most violent in the city at the time and I was one of maybe a few dozen white kids in a school of hundreds. I watched a fat white kid get swarmed by dozens of mexicans and blacks on the playground and basically get gang-beaten for calling someone a "black whore." I had a shell casing collection purely of empties found on the sidewalk or side of the street. Being spit on for being a "pinche gringo piece of chit" at about age 9 or so was a formative experience. Our neighbor's houses got tagged regularly, I got chased home by a pack of cholos one day after school, and then there was the day the low rider convertible with the top down and two guys wearing wigs, sunglasses and hoods up pulled up on the curb and were shouting at me with the passenger reaching for his waistband and standing up so I could see that. The driver said something to him, and then he sat down and they sped off, disgusted that I hadn't been worth their time, just some 11 year old kid that froze on the sidewalk like a rabbit. This was on the east side, supposedly a good part of town.

But like I say, it's probably different now.

I used to live right on the corner of Lee Trevino and Pebble Hills. Yes it has changed a bunch.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Been there 4-5 times for work, usually 5-7 day stretches.

Not the worst place in the US, but it wouldn't be in the top 100 places I'd consider moving.

Now for a temporary job or springboard to better things, it's certainly tolerable for a year or two, but no way I'd live there beyond that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are days that the smog is so bad it hurts to breathe.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
When my brother was stationed at Ft. Bliss, he often said that the US tried to give El Paso to Mexico....they didn't want it. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Texas version of Camden, NJ.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thanks for the real experiences. The job wouldn't be so much career advancement as much we'll pay you a shitload of money to come here. I thought it was just because the isolation. I think I'll stay where I'm at.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That is exactly how much money it would take to get me to move there. Smile

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is exactly how much money it would take to get me to move there.

How much is a Shitload in Jerkwater currency?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Tree fiddy more per week than a pantload

posted Hide Post
That is a boatload here. LOL

posted Hide Post
Unless the money is very good and it is temporary I would also recommend against it.
Democrat run government the would be at home in California or South America. Work is viewed as a place to socialize first and work second. Theft is not viewed as wrong but acceptable by a large part of the population. A large number refuse to speak English. Violent crime rate is low. It is quicker for me to count the number good places to eat than bad. Something is very wrong when Taco Bell has better food than a Mexican restaurant. Drivers are bad, but not as bad as New Mexico. At least with Fort Bliss you have military people who are polite.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post