SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You need new tires, but you’re broke
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You need new tires, but you’re broke Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
So you can barely afford two, what do you do? Front Wheel Drive automobile.

Question:
How do you handle it?

Choices:
Front tires
Rear tires
Whichever two are the most worn
Doesn’t matter
Try to hold out and see if you can scrape together funds for four

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
New on the front, put the best of the old ones on the back

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Put the new ones on the front and put the best 2 old ones on the back.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need new tires, but you’re broke

Even when not broke I only replace two at a time.
I'm not good about having them rotated, even if it's free, my time is not.
So, they don't wear evenly.
I do as recommended above: Put the new ones on the front and put the best 2 old ones on the back.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
Put the new ones on the front and put the best 2 old ones on the back.

Yep. You want to make sure your drive wheels are the same size to avoid excessive wear on the drivetrain.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Check out used tires. I know some places sell them. You might be able to get four tires for the price of 2 new ones that are better than what you have and may get you through this rough patch.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As the majority stated.

As well as benefit of greatest stopping potential and control forces being in the front.

If going with used, nothing over 5 years old, inspect them well for checking, cracking and any aparant damage and before your drive off after they are mounted and inflated for bulging.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
Check out used tires. I know some places sell them. You might be able to get four tires for the price of 2 new ones that are better than what you have and may get you through this rough patch.

This was going to be my recommendation as well. You would be shocked how cheap you can get used tires for and they will have plenty of life left in them.

I bought a vehicle that needed just two tires and found used tires with the same tread depth as the other two for $80 online, shipped. New tires would have cost $180 a piece and they wanted to do all four so the thread depth would be the same(AWD).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What tire size do you have?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Just for the record I think replace the front tires, as well. I was chatting with someone recently who was of the opinion that it didn’t matter, which seemed illogical to me.

Didn’t think of four used tires. Only had so many choice options in the poll, anyway. Razz

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

This was going to be my recommendation as well. You would be shocked how cheap you can get used tires for and they will have plenty of life left in them.

I bought a vehicle that needed just two tires and found used tires with the same tread depth as the other two for $80 online, shipped. New tires would have cost $180 a piece and they wanted to do all four so the thread depth would be the same(AWD).

Yes. Used tire places are everywhere

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

P195/60R15

I’m confused, how does tire size play into it?

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

P195/60R15

I’m confused, how does tire size play into it?

I was going to give you a link to some decent quality cheap tires in that size. I know if you go to a local tire shop, most of the time their quotes are outrageous. I buy my own tires and then have a local shop mount and balance for $12/tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Starfir...0%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Try to buy 4 used ones better than what I had as long as the price and install is right.

If you have bad tires on the rear you should take it easy going around curves, especially in wet weather. You will fish tail.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Google to confirm but my understanding is that with front wheel drive cars it is important that all 4 tires wear evenly and have the same basic tread design.

If that's correct, and assuming I really do need tires:

> I'd look for a good set of used tires. (I had a car totaled in a flood. I sure it was parted out and someone got set of high end Michelin tires with about 3k miles)

> I'm generally anti debt but I'd make an exception if safety was at stake.

Sorry to hear you're in this tough spot.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I just checked at www.tirerack.com and found the cheapest tire is $56/tire and are Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring.

The highest consumer rated tire is $103/tire and is the Firestone Weathergrip.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would shop used. But unless I came up with a really good set of cheap new take off's of close to it. I would buy two new of good quality tires. Maybe offer something up for sale in the classifieds to help fund and new set?.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19183 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You’d be surprised how many “used tires” come from the salvage yard.

Totaled out vehicles often have very good quality tires with like new thread depth.

Check it out.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
On of our vehicles is AWD, we have no choice but to replace all 4 at the same time. Whoever the jackass is that came up with design, there should be a special place in Hades for them.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
On of our vehicles is AWD, we have no choice but to replace all 4 at the same time. Whoever the jackass is that came up with design, there should be a special place in Hades for them.

A lot of AWD vehicles are that way. Besides, if you rotate your tires like you should, you should be replacing all 4 tires at the same time anyways.

Tires are a wear/maintenance item.

———————————————