SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Augustoberfest
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Augustoberfest Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Who's the guy that buys a pallet of Oktoberfest every year?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
GrumpyBiker

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I drink Stiegl Pils year round – including October. Fine stuff.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

If you wait until cooler weather, there will be little to no Octoberfests left on the shelf.

Yeah, sorry about that ! Wink

And GB wins the internet today.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Someone point me to one of those that tastes similar to a Bavarian hefeweizen. Please.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Someone point me to one of those that tastes similar to a Bavarian hefeweizen. Please.

Sorry, brother. No can do.

Nearly all "Octoberfest" beers are a style of beer called a Märzen. Märzens and Hefeweizens are two very different styles. Märzens are an amber, medium-bodied lager brewed from barley, and have a rich, toasty, malty flavor. Not really anything like a light, yeasty, wheaty Hefeweizen.

There is one other traditional style of Octoberfest beer, known as the Wiesn. It's a bit lighter and brighter than a Märzen, and you could consider it to be slightly closer to a wheat beer, but it's still fairly different. Wiesn style Octoberfest beers are less common/popular than the Märzen style, but there are a few companies that offer Octoberfest Wiesns, like Paulaner. You might check those out first.

But in the end, if you go around trying Octoberfests hoping to find one that tastes like a Hefeweizen, you're just going to be disappointed. That's like trying all the oranges at the grocery store, hoping to find one that tastes like apple. Big Grin

Two different styles, for two different weathers. Don't get me wrong... I love Hefeweizens. They're my overall favorite style of beer, and they're nearly all I drink during the warmer weather of late Spring and Summer. But once the weather cools down in Fall, Winter, and early Spring, I love a good Märzen.

Nothing beats a cool, crisp Autumn weekend afternoon, sitting on the patio or on the couch inside with the windows open, drinking a quality Octoberfest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ok, I see your point, and my statement was poorly worded. I really meant to say "point me to a good weizen."

I might have made one or two Oktoberfests back in the Ansbach/Frankfurt regions, back in the day. Never was disappointed, but still wasn't my favorite.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Ok, I see your point, and my statement was poorly worded. I really meant to say "point me to a good weizen."

That I can do.

Weihenstephaner is the best German Hefeweizen, by far. My favorite beer, bar none.

Ayinger is almost as good.

And there are several other good choices out there for quality German Hefeweizens. Other good ones that first come to mind include...

Franzikaner:

Paulaner:

and Weltenburger:

But there are a number of other good German Hefeweizens too.

There are also several domestic craft brewers that produce decent German-style Hefeweizens, some of which are almost as good as the German imports. The best of these domestics is probably Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss:

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
You are both a gentleman and a scholar, Rogue. Danke.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mit Vergnügen, mein Freund!

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Swung by Spec's this evening and they had 3 varieties of Octoberfest. The Spaten was a 6-pack in green bottles so I didn't buy (too often green or clear bottle 6-packs are skunked including last year's Octoberfest).

I did pick up these 2 locally brewed beers and look forward to trying as Saint Arnold was one of the best Octoberfests last year.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This year's Saint Arnold is very good

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Swung by H-E-B and they had two Octoberfests.

Sierra Nevada was actually manning a sample stand for their summer beer, and he shared where he had stashed the last 6-pack of Octoberfest. This year's partner is in Miltenberger. It's more flavorful than the Saint Arnold's but not as light and refreshing.

posted Hide Post
The Shiner Bock Oktoberfest was out when I made a grocery run this morning at my local grocer. Tomorrow I may stop by the local Army base BX to see what is out there. Oktoberfest is still a month away from the official start, but I love the season. The grocer had replenished the Sierra Nevada stock BTW. Smile

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite time of the Beer Year !!

Picked up a few Märzen offerings today.
Having some Barktoberfest at the moment.
It has a distinct Brown Ale flavor to it in the background.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice finds.

I hit my usual liquor stores this afternoon. The only new arrival this week was Paulaner's Octoberfest Marzen, so I grabbed a couple packs. I imagine that things like Sierra Nevada, Shiner, and Spaten will be along shortly, since they're already out in other areas.

I put my order in with our largest and best-stocked beer store for a couple cases of Ayinger Octoberfest. He said they should be available in the next week or two. In the past several years, Ayinger has been in very high demand, with limited supply. A few years back I was only able to get one of the two cases I ordered, and my beer guy said that it was the lone case he was able to get his hands on that year. (And it was mine! All mine! Muahaha...)

I had Hoffbrau Octoberfest a few years ago in another city. Very tasty. But none of the local distributors around here carry Hoffbrau stuff. Frown

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Scored two more Texas Oktoberfest beers. Karbach (Houston) was my 2nd favorite last year (Paulaner was favorite), and Legal Draft (Arlington).

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I bought a mixed six-pack. Paulaner-Martzen, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Wien'er, Erdinger-Weissbrau, Hofbrau. They are still cooling. The Ayinger, which I usually do not like, is very nice this year. The bier is early.

Alles frisch!

Slabsides45, BOLO for Wien'er Wiezenbock, and Erdinger Festbier-its in the Weissbier style.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nothing more around here still. Frown

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
So i snagged a hofbrau and spaten. I was unimpressed so far. Maybe its the heat. What is the prized jewell this year?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post