SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
This is being made for the 90% of pick up truck owners that have 1 person in the vehicle and nothing in the bed.

Exactly.....living in TX this is approx 70% of the trucks I see....this would be good for the Tahoe as well.

I use my truck both off road and to haul crap plus I like to keep trucks as long as possible....4cyl turbo does not sound good for any of that....maybe I am wrong, by the time I am looking to buy (2+ years) we will see

Personally I would rather a medium displacement diesel 200hp/350ftlb would be nice, the Chevy Colorado has an interesting diesel...mind you its a $4K+ option....and it's a Chevy Wink

The Jeep pick up will have the 3.0 diesel...but I would rather have dependability over coolness.....but it does look COOL

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
This engine has practically the same amount of torque and hp as the V8 in my 2009 Dodge, that's impressive. I'm about sold on the idea of getting a new Ford with the eco boost V6 but I'm concerned about the long term durability and cost of repair and I'd be even more worried about this 4 cylinder. The fuel savings just isn't enough to justify the complexity in these engines. On the other hand this engine will probably satisfy the needs of most truck owners, myself included.

I had the same concerns when shopping for my Expedition.
Did I want a 2014 with 5.4L V8 or 2015/16 with the Ecoboost V6. I wanted to have the truck for at least 10 more years and make it 200k.
After a lot of reading and plenty of F150s with 200k+ starting in 2011 I am not too worried about them.
Only about 2 months in but loving it.

Small turbo diesels have been around a long time and go lots of miles in Europe and Africa for quite sometime so I am not too worried.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
This is being made for the 90% of pick up truck owners that have 1 person in the vehicle and nothing in the bed.

I love these assumptions.

I match this description 56% of the time I drive my F350, but there's 40% of the time that anything less won't do the job.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI. The small turbo in the Honda(CRV) has had some major problems.

We got a 2017 CRV with the ‘older’ conventional engine, no problems. There are lawsuits lining up over the small turbo engine.

I’d at least wait a bit to make sure the bugs are worked out.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
only truck I ever had was a 1964 GMC with a 250 CI carburetor engine, and a 4 speed stick. I really do think simple is better.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It will only take 3 or 4 years to work the bugs out of that new engine, if they're lucky. It'll be swell, you'll see.

How true. I still remember the launch of the 2013 ATS. THIRTEEN campaigns in the first year, albeit many were reprogramming issues, regardless, recalls. With fondness I still remember the sunglass holder/map light fiasco. Campaigned then a while later another campaign to replace the part first replaced as the second one did not meet FMVSS requirements.

As we used to say whoever was in charge of that mess probably got promoted......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Rather have a turbo-diesel 4...I don't understand why small diesels aren't more popular here? Way rather have that, for similar mileage, than a hybrid!

I suspect with the price of diesel fuel and all the extra equipment required to meet emissions small diesels have lost their advantage. I ran the math when I bought a new VW Golf diesel in 2004 and it would have taken several years for the fuel savings to offset the $3,000 extra the the diesel cost. Then two years later, ultra low sulfur diesel fuel was introduced, diesel became more expensive than gas, and my math went out the window.

These days not only does diesel cost more, you also have diesel particulate filters that burn extra fuel to "regenerate" themselves (fancy way of saying they get really hot to incinerate the crud they have filtered) and diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) which gets injected into the exhaust all of the time as you drive to reduce NOx emissions.

With a small turbo, gas motors can achieve similar power for less money. The 1.9 liter diesel in my Golf was 90hp and 180ft/lbs of torque. The 2.0 liter gas motor in my Focus ST is 250hp and 270ft/lbs of torque. The ST gets 26mpg vs. the 37mpg the Golf got, but that's to be expected with the additional power. A smaller engine with similar power to the Golf's diesel would be much closer in fuel economy.

The Canyon/Colorado platform already has an Isuzu Diesel, 2.8L with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

The Canyon/Colorado platform already has an Isuzu Diesel, 2.8L with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs.

Yes. And the Ford 2.7l Ecoboost produces more torque across a wider rpm range as well as more horse power. In the Colorado, the 2.8l is epa rated for 22 city, 30 hwy, and 25 combined. The 2.7l in the larger F150 is rated for 20 city, 26 hwy, and 22 combined. The Colorado diesel gets 14% better fuel economy than the larger F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. However, the 2.7 ecoboost also makes 8% more torque and 79% more horsepower than the 2.8 Duramax using 2018 specs for both. Using fuel prices I saw in Georgia I saw yesterday on I-75 (2.75 gas, 3.39 diesel) diesel costs 23% more than gas. Plus, the Duramax needs DEF. The F150 2.7 is also rated to tow 7,500-8,100 pounds depending on configuration. To top it all off, the 2.8 Duramax is a $3,700 option while the 2.7 Ecoboost is a $1,000 option.

So my point that small diesels have lost their advantage still stands.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

So my point that small diesels have lost their advantage still stands.

Totally agree. Paying 40 grand for a diesel Colorado makes no sense any way you look at it.

And I don't want anything to do with a turbo 4 in a truck especially when Chevy makes such a great V8. I'd rather have a 5.3 working at 50% capacity than a turbo 4 working at 100% capacity... for durability purposes alone.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post