SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s bad analogy. Its about half the engine size so it would be like putting in a 500-600cc two stroke engine in a harly sportster 1200, which to me sounds incredibly fun. There is no reason why modern tech can’t squeeze tons of power out of a turbo four, especially a rather large four. Can they do it reliably? We shall see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Cylinder deactivation on a four-cylinder? This works on V8s without a feeling of "missing," deactivating the inner cylinders on one bank and the outer cylinders on the other bank, but taking out two cylinders will make a four rougher than a dried-out corncob. There must be some seriously absorbent engine mounts, possibly electronically controlled.

It doesnt just deactivate cylinders, it closes the intake and exhaust valves, the piston that is "shut down" still compresses on every stroke negating the misfire effect. Keeping engine balance in place.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My biggest concern with turbo engines is longevity. If you wind that rubber band that tight every time you drive, how long will it last? Trucks are not like cars, people drive them into the ground over 10-20 years. Chevy could end up really shooting themselves in the foot when these engines start to fail after a short time.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Apparently the exhaust manifold is cast integral to the head. I would like to think this eliminates a junction enhancing reliability, but this may increase cracking possibilities.

I hope they've done much testing at 10 percent overload at Death Valley temps with full throttle for long periods.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
Back in the 80’s, BMW made a 1.5 liter turbo four for F1 that would put out 850hp for races and up to 1400hp for qualifying.

Yeah, at over 10,000 rpm. And torque out of those things? Haha, yeah right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Apparently the exhaust manifold is cast integral to the head. I would like to think this eliminates a junction enhancing reliability, but this may increase cracking possibilities.

I hope they've done much testing at 10 percent overload at Death Valley temps with full throttle for long periods.

Newer engines are doing this and have been for awhile, it decreases temps and increases power, like having match ported headers. Aluminum does a much better job of removing heat from the combustion chamber than steel. Its also surrounded by water jackets with coolant flowing through to dissipate temps even further.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
This is being made for the 90% of pick up truck owners that have 1 person in the vehicle and nothing in the bed.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that the displacement is the same as the 2.7L V6 (small ecoboost) that is showing up in the F150 range.

I wonder if there is a plan for a scale-able architecture to create a roughly 4.0L I6 Turbo gasoline engine in the future to bite into the SBC V8s?

I know that there is a 3.0L I6 duramax that is coming to the 1500 line family.

BMW has been doing 2.0 I4 with a close relation to 3.0 I6, and MB has plans to be switching over to I4 and I6 families for streamlined production on family lines and parts commonality.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if this engine is a revamp of the 4 banger in the Saturn cars. The Saturn engine block was a skeleton like part, cast aluminum in the EPC(lost foam patterns) process. In a aluminum foundry in West Seattle, I ran the their lost foam production, which included casting this block and other smaller parts in the alloy we used(A356). This was done as a non contract test of our production abilities in our primary alloy. Much of the Saturn car's drive train components were AL or grey iron cast in this process.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t know where some people get the idea that turbos are unsuitable for towing. They’ve existed on heavy diesels for over a half century, and diesels have a higher combustion temperature than gas engines. If they can be engineered to work for semi engines, why can’t they be engineered for gas applications?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Rather have a turbo-diesel 4...I don't understand why small diesels aren't more popular here? Way rather have that, for similar mileage, than a hybrid!

Supposedly they will offer a 3.0 liter duramax turbo diesel on these new 2019 1/2 ton trucks as well.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
My biggest concern with turbo engines is longevity. If you wind that rubber band that tight every time you drive, how long will it last? Trucks are not like cars, people drive them into the ground over 10-20 years. Chevy could end up really shooting themselves in the foot when these engines start to fail after a short time.

Plenty of Ecoboosts with well over 200,000 miles.
Plenty of Turbo Diesels with 500,000 miles.
Proper maintenance is key.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Plenty of Ecoboosts with well over 200,000 miles.
Plenty of Turbo Diesels with 500,000 miles.
Proper maintenance is key.

As are proper oiling and cooling systems

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
To achieve these numbers, Chevrolet developed a dual-volute turbine. Unlike a twin-scroll turbocharged, a dual-volute system sends exhaust gas into the turbine through two separate inlets, coming off the exhaust manifold. Because the gasses aren't combined before going into the turbocharger, flow is smoother and boost pressure builds faster. An electronic boost controller keeps everything in check as the 2.7-liter builds up to 22 pounds per square inch of boost . The results are impressive. Chevrolet claims that the 2.7-liter turbo engine reaches 90 percent torque quicker than any other engine in the class. In layman's terms, turbo lag is virtually nonexistent. To reduce friction, the new engine uses a computer-controlled continuously variable oil pump. An offset crankshaft also is at play here .

These two items stood out at me the most.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I just went from a 2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2L V8 making 403 HP and 417 ft-lbs of torque to a new Lincoln Navigator L with a twin turbo 3.5L V6 making 450 HP and 510 ft-lbs of torque. No complaints. I even get significantly better mileage (went from super horrible to just horrible!).

I can imagine a change from a big V6 to a small turbocharged 4 being similarly unobjectionable.

I am loving my 2016 Expedition EL. It has 365hp and the thing scoots.
450hp and lighter I bet yours flies for the size of the rig.

We’re likely to get a 2nd Expedition next year. I’ll likely fool with some tuning and engine mods on the new one. 500hp to the wheels seems like a reasonable goal.
Does the Navigator require premium? I need to find out what is different with the motor if anything other than tuning.

I wouldn’t mind a 4 cylinder turbo in a single cab short bed.
But a crew cab loaded with people and gear just seems like it would struggle a bit.

It isn't exactly light on its feet, but the straight line acceleration is pretty impressive. Smile

The user manual says the engine is fine with anything 87 octane or higher but will get better performance with higher octane fuel. The HP/torque numbers specifically state they are using 93 octane fuel.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I seldom encounter anything higher than 91 around here. And 86 is beginning to be more common than 87 for regular unleaded.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the subject to be extremely interesting but beyond me. My last Chevy was a 1994 4X4 with the V6 which had 247,000 and some odd miles and the current 2007 Chevy with a V6 has 115,000 and some odd miles. I drive less now. By the time I'm ready for another truck the track record for this new engine should be established thus I am not a Beta tester.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Anyone else recall when they put that 4.3 in the S-10's? Those suckers ran like a scalded dog. I had a large time in one that had a stick shift back in the day....

I had a '93 S-10 blazer with that engine. It had some get up and go. I my only complaint with that engine is that I had to replace the fuel injector like 3 times. Mad

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This engine has practically the same amount of torque and hp as the V8 in my 2009 Dodge, that's impressive. I'm about sold on the idea of getting a new Ford with the eco boost V6 but I'm concerned about the long term durability and cost of repair and I'd be even more worried about this 4 cylinder. The fuel savings just isn't enough to justify the complexity in these engines. On the other hand this engine will probably satisfy the needs of most truck owners, myself included.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The upcoming GM trucks are ugly as sin, the other engines are carryover in terms power levels and now this. I've been a GM fan for a long time but my next truck is a Ford or a Tundra.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post