SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Chevy Silverado to feature turbo 4 cylinder Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Yes, I drive a Ford with a twin turbo Ecoboost V-6, but I think this is a really bad idea. Kinda like putting a 125cc 2 stroke in a Harley.

https://www.caranddriver.com/n...four-cylinder-engine

Confirmed: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Gets Optional Turbocharged Four-Cylinder Engine
A four-cylinder full-size pickup is coming, and we took it for a quick spin.
MAY 18, 2018 AT 5:00 AM BY GREG FINK PHOTOS BY THE MANUFACTURER 111 COMMENTS
VIEW 19 PHOTOS
Confirmed: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Gets Optional Turbocharged Four-Cylinder Engine

Chevrolet will add a turbocharged four-cylinder engine to the 2019 Silverado pickup truck. The engine, built in Spring Hill, Tennessee, will be available in midline LT and RST trims and serves as the entry-level powertrain in those models. Today’s 4.3-liter V-6 will live on in lower-level Work Truck, Custom, and Custom Trail Boss trims.

Displacing 2.7 liters, the long-stroke forced-induction inline-four is an all-new unit that General Motors said was designed specifically for truck applications. It packs a solid punch with 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque—just 35 lb-ft shy of the optional 5.3-liter V-8—that is available from as low as 1500 rpm and continues to 4000 revs. The engine is paired exclusively with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Dual-vane turbocharging and an electronic wastegate help keep lag at bay, and during a brief drive around General Motors’ proving ground in Milford, Michigan, the turbo four took off with the gusto of a naturally aspirated engine. The automatic transmission does the four-cylinder no favors, however, as it’s eager to reach its tallest ratio and apathetic to downshift when the accelerator pedal is floored.

Still, the little engine moved the big Silverado with plenty of pep off the line while emitting no noticeable vibration while on the go, at idle, or on restarting from a stop by way of its automatic stop/start system. Additional efficiency measures include variable valve timing, an electric water pump, and a cylinder-deactivation system that seamlessly cuts fuel to cylinders two and three if conditions permit. The use of an aluminum block helps make for an engine that weighs approximately 80 pounds less than the 4.3-liter V-6.

Chevrolet isn’t yet releasing trailer-tow ratings for the four-cylinder, nor is the bow-tie brand ready to share pricing or fuel-economy information for the 2.7-liter turbo. Presumably the turbo four will better the current rear-drive Silverado V-6’s EPA figures of 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. We’ll know more specifics as we get nearer to the truck’s on-sale date this fall.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, their V6 is 4.3 liters? That's V-8 displacement!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Back in the 80’s, BMW made a 1.5 liter turbo four for F1 that would put out 850hp for races and up to 1400hp for qualifying. So, it’s plenty possible to get loads of torque and HP out of a four, especially with a turbo in the mix. The big questions are probably: does the torque start low enough, is there much turbo lag, and how reliable is the engine? Depending on the answers, it could be just fine, or a pile of shit. I’m reserving judgement for now, but it could actually work.

Of course, I used to be a pretty big Subaru fan, and I’ve seen what 350hp out of a turbo four with AWD can do. Some of my friends had STi’s with the 2.5l and some tuning. Those things would spin all four tires off the line if you weren’t running race tires. They generally didn’t blow up either. So yeah, I’ll wait and see.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
That 4.3L was a 350 with 2 cyls cut off. Smile

It was the engine of choice for city produce restaurant delivery in Chevy/GMC Astro vans.

I've yet to drive a Ford turbo but people whose opinion I respect like them.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've yet to drive a Ford turbo but people whose opinion I respect like them.

I love mine. But I'm jealous of the new 3.5L engines making 100 more horsepower from the factory.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My 1995 GMC Jimmy had a 4.3L V-6.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Yes, I drive a Ford with a twin turbo Ecoboost V-6, but I think this is a really bad idea. Kinda like putting a 125cc 2 stroke in a Harley.
125cc 2 stroke in a Harley? Yup. I remember these. Early 1960s, Harley-Davidson sold them.

They were Italian, Aermacchi, re-branded for Harley.

I was living in NYC in 1960, wanted a city runabout. It was a tossup for me between the 125cc motorcycle and the Topper. I went with the HD Topper, a 165cc scooter, because it was betteer suited for carrying "stuff."

Had it for a year, maybe a bit less, then used it as a trade-in for a shiny new BMW R-50.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had a GMC Safari w the 4.3 vortec. Pretty strong motor, and we went 270,000 before much of the rest of the van fell apart around it. But not the motor, never had to work on it.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting.

Having a long stroke with the turbo backed up to an eight speed tranny once programming and shakedown is complete. The biggest drawback would be someone looking at it and thinking of the four bangers of old and what it sounds like.

I'm thinking that if they wanted an engine based on sound alone, it would have to be about 500 cubic inches of 72 degree V10 (90 degree V10s or most V8s need not apply) so that won't help with gaining fuel economy.

A lot can be gained with proper aero tuning. The lighter the truck, the better it should do in everyday driving. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
2.7L is a big 4 cyl. With a turbo that can generate pressure at low RPM, it will generate a lot of torque and a flat torque band over the range. Perfect for trucks - basically what diesels can do. Paired with a transmission with lots of ratios to keep it in the appropriate power band - this can work well. But proper programming of the engine and transmission will definitely be needed to keep it responsive and not just a CAFE truck model.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It will only take 3 or 4 years to work the bugs out of that new engine, if they're lucky. It'll be swell, you'll see.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I find the whole thing funny considering the Chevy guys laughed at the Ford Ecoboost......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
My 1995 GMC Jimmy had a 4.3L V-6.
The Chevy 4.3L V-6 had the same bore and stroke as a 350 V-8 (4.000×3.480), and takes the same pistons, cam bearings, main bearings, valvetrain parts, timing cover, oil pump, and front dress.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been around a long time. All the Blazers got it too.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
It could work, but I think it won't. I predict it'll have some annoying driving characteristics especially noticeable to drivers used to V8 pickups.

If the fuel mileage isn't amazing, why bother?

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different engines. The original debuted in 1985. The current 4.3 V6 appeared in the 2014 Silverado.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4cyl is more powerful than any V6 that's ever been in the Silverado.

With all of the gears and if it's tuned right, it will stay in the powerband and be fine.

The soccer moms who make up 75% of pickup drivers won't know the difference.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
The soccer moms who make up 75% of pickup drivers won't know the difference.
The best made up statistic of the day.

Soccer Moms are driving way more crossovers and SUVs that pick-ups.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I find the whole thing funny considering the Chevy guys laughed at the Ford Ecoboost......

And also the aluminum.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My bro had a Chevy truck with the 4.3 liter from 1985. 84 and 85 were just about the only years the 4.3 was a stand alone component. Carb & HEI was good enough to have several people to offer to buy the engine for more than he paid for the truck.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post