SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iran's fast boats stop harassing U. Navy, baffling military
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Iran's fast boats stop harassing U. Navy, baffling military Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted
Really? No one has any idea why this activity has halted?

quote:
The Iranian military has halted the routine harassment by its armed “fast boats” of U.S. naval vessels in the Persian Gulf, the U.S. military said, a turnabout that officials welcomed but were at a loss to explain.

The boats for at least two years would dart toward the U.S. vessels as they passed through the Persian Gulf, risking miscalculation, but haven’t done so for five months, U.S. military officials said.

The officials said they hoped the respite would continue. “I hope it’s because we have messaged our readiness…and that it isn’t tolerable or how professional militaries operate,” Army Gen. Joseph Votel, who heads U.S. Central Command, told reporters traveling with him in the Middle East this week. Iranian officials didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The fast boats, typically armed with .50 caliber machine guns and rocket launchers, have come within shooting distance of American naval vessels, encounters that grew routine even though each one presents potential dangers to American vessels transiting through international waters.

In some of the more serious incidents, Iranian crews have directed spotlights at ship and aircraft crews, potentially blinding pilots as they conduct operations, according to U.S. military officials. In one case, an Iranian boat pointed a weapon at an American helicopter flying off a Navy vessel, officials said. In the most serious incidents, U.S. vessels have fired warning shots in return.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...ffling-military.html

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a mystery.

Confused

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Baffling.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A bona-fide conundrum.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

quote:
The Iranian military has halted the routine harassment by its armed “fast boats” of U.S. naval vessels in the Persian Gulf, the U.S. military said, a turnabout that officials welcomed but were at a loss to explain.

The boats for at least two years would dart toward the U.S. vessels as they passed through the Persian Gulf, risking miscalculation, but haven’t done so for five months, U.S. military officials said.

The officials said they hoped the respite would continue. “I hope it’s because we have messaged our readiness…and that it isn’t tolerable or how professional militaries operate,” Army Gen. Joseph Votel, who heads U.S. Central Command, told reporters traveling with him in the Middle East this week. Iranian officials didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The fast boats, typically armed with .50 caliber machine guns and rocket launchers, have come within shooting distance of American naval vessels, encounters that grew routine even though each one presents potential dangers to American vessels transiting through international waters.

In some of the more serious incidents, Iranian crews have directed spotlights at ship and aircraft crews, potentially blinding pilots as they conduct operations, according to U.S. military officials. In one case, an Iranian boat pointed a weapon at an American helicopter flying off a Navy vessel, officials said. In the most serious incidents, U.S. vessels have fired warning shots in return.

They're afraid that a US military boat will run into them!!!!!!!!!!!

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
In April the US took out a Syrian Air Force base used for chemical attacks. You don't suppose the Iranians thought the Prisdent might got irks at them?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like CNN's story better where they specify 36 unsafe encounters in 2016, 14 in 2017, and zero year to date.

Link

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm.
Yes, I too wonder what could be the cause of their change of action ?!?!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Nothing like a Marine in charge of a Navy, to make everyone pucker.

I mean, all the "payback" that runs around in his head at night...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's coincidence, I'm sure. Razz

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Gee, it sounds if someone wants a Five Million Dollar study funded.

I'll tell them for free. It's my patriotic duty to do so.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
There is a new sheriff in town.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Someone threw the Trump card?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

quote:

Swing and a miss. Points deducted for spray and pray exclamation points.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Hmmmm.
Yes, I too wonder what could be the cause of their change of action ?!?!

Big Grin

"If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all."

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Well the other reason could be that they have seen the navy's record of running into other ships.
But I am sure it is the obvious reason

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Seems I remember them freeing some embassy hostages, that had been held for more than a year, shortly after a new president took office.

Hmm, it is a mystery what has changed recently in our government?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
In which branch of our armed forces did you serve, jimmy?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Actually, The reason is because they’ve ramped up the use of drones and now use them to harass ships in the gulf. The drones are proving much more of a threat & annoyance than the speedboats.

The Iranian QOM-1, also known as the Shaheed 129, are weapons capable and have been conducting
“1 to 2” maritime flights per day over the strait of Hormuz and southern Arabian gulf in recent months. These flights quite often approach U.S. Navy ships operating in the region. For perspective, these drones are roughly the same size of the MQ-1 Predator and often fly without navigation lights or transponders turned on....

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post