SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experience with UPS Freight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with UPS Freight? Login/Join 
posted
I have a few large items for sale that need to be shipped. I have heard that you can take the items to UPS Freight and they will build and pack the boxes for shipping. Anyone here have any firsthand knowledge of this and if so the details of how it works?

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
How big are the items and what are the weights?
I use UPS freight a fair amount with work but seldom for their "packing service".

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had bad experiences when using them at work. This is when we had service people needing to meet shipments and UPS freight missed their window.

If you're just shipping and don't care about arrival time this shouldn't be an issue.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven’t yet found a freight company that did provide any kind of timely service. But that may be a function of where I live. Off the beaten track.

UPS freight was no worse in that regard than any others.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am mostly interested in whether they will build and pack the boxes necessary for shipping and whether it is prohibitively expensive. I am trying to sell several R/C airplanes. Shipping them to potential buyers makes selling them in the first place much easier.

As an example one of them is about 72 inches long with an 80 inch wingspan. These things are easily damaged if not carefully packed in a substantial box.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an example one of them is about 72 inches long with an 80 inch wingspan. These things are easily damaged if not carefully packed in a substantial box.

I am uncertain if UPS provides this service. I am fortunate enough to have a cousin who is a mid level manager for UPS. He sent two large photographs in their glass frames via UPS. It took me literally an hour to unpack them. Totally undamaged.

I am wondering as I type this how museums and Art galleries send their valuable pieces. You might want to give them a call. Pretty much everything is possible for a price.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am uncertain if UPS provides this service. I am fortunate enough to have a cousin who is a mid level manager for UPS. He sent two large photographs in their glass frames via UPS. It took me literally an hour to unpack them. Totally undamaged.

I am wondering as I type this how museums and Art galleries send their valuable pieces. You might want to give them a call. Pretty much everything is possible for a price.

Crates, lots if inner pack, insurance.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I am mostly interested in whether they will build and pack the boxes necessary for shipping and whether it is prohibitively expensive. I am trying to sell several R/C airplanes. Shipping them to potential buyers makes selling them in the first place much easier.

Suggest you ask people in the RC world. I'm certain someone has done this and can provide advice.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I think you’re referring to services provided by UPS Store, not freight.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post