SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decided to put my reverse sear skills to work last night....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decided to put my reverse sear skills to work last night.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
- Rubbed Garlic and salt into both sides of meat and put on wire cooling rack.
- Let steak rest on counter for hour and half
- Bake for about 25 minutes on indirect heat of about 225
- Goal is internal temp of about 110 degrees
- Pull from Grill and permit to rest while heat is cranked up to about 500 degrees
- Sear both sides for 60 seconds
- Pull and enjoy

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Going to have to try that soon.
Thanks for the details... and enjoy!

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious! I'm puzzled by the term "reverse sear" though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
Going to have to try that soon.
Thanks for the details... and enjoy!

I highly recommend it.

Here's a good video on it. I use grill vs oven/pan, same concept though.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/GZ4xl7XJM08

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Looks delicious! I'm puzzled by the term "reverse sear" though.

Reverse sear means you sear the meat after cooking to your desired temp rather than the traditional sear first then cook. This is how I usually do it. I smoke at 250 first then sear at the end to get the nice caramelization and char flavor. There is ample evidence to show that searing first does not lock in juices as popularly believed.

That is one nice looking rib eye Ronin. Excellent choice on spices and technique!
I did a couple of flank steaks last night for fajitas. Marinated in Mojo and smoked at 250 for about 45 minutes then sear on a open wood fire to finish.
Turned out perfect.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Reverse seared (as I do for almost all steaks) a couple of Porterhouses on the Big Green Egg last night too.
Came out spectacular as well.
No pics this here but trust me ~ reverse sear works!

A couple of tips > always turn it on the side and sear through some fat and ALWAYS show us a pic of the steak after cutting through it. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I reverse sear all steaks on the Weber. Here is a photo of a couple of them finishing up last week.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
This is how a lot of steak houses get perfectly done steaks for you. They bring it up to temperature in a sous vide generally to rare, and can leave it there all day. Then when ordered, they'll throw it under the salamander for long enough to sear and bring it up to the ordered temperature.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post