SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was your first firearm?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first firearm? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We lived in a rural area of Mass; from about the age of 7 or 8 my father would allow me to shoot a 22 single shot rifle.

In 1959, I bought my first 22 rifle at age 12 from the Montgomery Wards Catalog with money I earned working part time. It was a Western Field tubular fed bolt action. My nephew still has the rifle but all these years later it is showing signs of extreme wear from his use. He used it more than I did,

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
S&W Model 13 .357 purchased in 1977 at Herman's Sporting Goods in Springfield VA. Sold it to my CCW instructor in Jan 2002.

Herman's had a lot of Smith & Wessons that you couldn't find at other places. I was buying a gun a month at one time.
Then when the M629 came out the Fairfax County Police wouldn't approve the purchase so I had it shipped to a shop in Loudoun County and picked it up there. At that time you had to get approval for buying a handgun.

My first gun was a Remington 870, 20 gauge purchased at Worthington Hardware in Staunton. My first rifle was a Winchester Model 88 in 308. My first pistol was a Colt Python 357.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My first was a Winchester Mod 02 .22 short. It's dated "1900" but the "02" suggests it was a post 1919 production. Was allowed to shoot it at age 8.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Stevens bolt action .410..Model 59A ,.which I still have .
The story behind this shotgun, was a dude working for my stepfather when i was a kid, used to "pawn" the shotgun at a local store, finally , my step pop got tired of advancing the fellow the money to get it out of hock, bought it from the storekeeper, and I ended up with it.

I was 12-13 when I received it, and will turn 65 years of age tomorrow. Maybe I ought to get the old shotgun out and shoot it a couple of times to celebrate my birthday.

As a kid, my parents wouldn't allow me to have a 22 rifle (who knows) but okay with a shotgun (who knows), which was terrible for my squirrel hunting evenings.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My first purchase was a p228. Incredible gun, I still own it and love it as much now as I did back in 2000.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
My first is was a Mossberg 46B 30 years ago. Still have it.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Marlin 39A, 22lr.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When I was born in 1965, my grandfather bought me a Ruger MK 22 pistol.

I've had that gun my whole life.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi-Standard model Military 107. 112 bucks at White's in Santa Fe, NM when I was 12. Best gun I ever owned.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
IIRC, my very first personal firearm was a High-Standard "Sentinel" .22LR revolver with a nickel finish. As a new 2LT in USAF I was expected to qualify with a handgun and I'd never fired one before. I bought the little revolver to become somewhat familiar with a handgun. When I decided I needed something with more recoil, I bought first a Hawes Western Marshal in .357 Magnum and somewhat later a war surplus 9mm Luger. Even with all that, I still did not actually qualify until 5 years had passed and I was already a Captain. (Assignments in remote and off-shore locations without small-arms training facilities delayed my training and successful qualification.) Initial attempts using a 1911 in .45ACP didn't help, either--that gun is not the easiest to learn with.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Remington Nylon 66. Wish Dad hadn't sold it when I was off at college... Frown

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Llama .380 purchased in 1987

Posts: 900 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
First was a Remington 721 .30-06, a gift from my Dad when I turned 16. First one I bought on my own was a Ruger Single Six .22 LR/Mag convertible. I still have the 721, 43 years later.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a Remington 870 20ga 28" full choke wing master. Still own it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mark II Competition. I bought it after realizing the second amendment needed to be exercised to be effective and I had until that time not given much thought to the matter.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
First firearm owned: Sig Sauer P229 in .40 S&W.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
First gun was a Marlin bolt action in .22 magnum. Ostensibly purchased by my dad and given to me as a squirrel gun but dad traded it towards a Savage 110 in 30.06 for deer. Neither gun served its intended purpose.

The first gun I ever bought was a Rem 870 in 12 gauge...still have it and have taken a number of dove with it.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. First Sig is a 228 purchased from Steve (220ST).

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A .22 rifle my dad bought for me as a kid, stolen by movers I guess. The first gun I bought for myself was a Smith and Wesson Model 39, middle 70's.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington 572 .22 pump. Parents gave me 5k .22 every year for my birthday. Gun is almost a smoothbore now. Action rebuilt twice and likely can not be rebuilt again. Ahh, the memories.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post