SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was your first firearm?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first firearm? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
First gun was a new West German Sig 226.

I did my research and settled on the decocker instead of a safety. I followed that up with a Sig 225 for my wife.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
First: Winchester model 12 in 20 ga.
Second: Colt Official Police in .38
Third: S&W model 29 .44 magnum
Fourth: S&W K22

Kids brought on a break in the action for a number of years,but when I started back again I bought my first semi a Sig P226 in 9mm.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
My father bought my brother and I matching Ruger 10/22s when we were 10/11 or thereabouts.

The first firearm I ever bought myself was a blued Taurus 445 2" .44 Special revolver. Knew almost nothing about guns or I'd never have bought it: Taurus reputation in the 1990s, ammo was expensive, bulky and heavy... Eventually sold it but it was a cool gun that I wish I still had just for nostalgia.

My first GOOD gun buy was a used S&W M25 in .45 Colt that I _REALLY_ wish I still had but that I sold when I found out I was PCSing overseas.

ETA: Just remembered, somewhere between those two was a Winchester 120 Ranger 12g shotgun that I still have.

So, first gun... first GOOD gun, and first gun that I still own.

quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
HiPoint C9 9mm Big Grin

Oh, I feel better about the Taurus now. Thanks.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First firearm was a Stevens Crack Shot -- 26. Dad gave it me when i was nine.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92FS

First Sig was a P225, still have that one, it's a safe queen now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
First gun I bought was a P220. Second was a 92FS INOX. Third was a wedding gift from my bride, a232SL. After that it gets fuzzy, but maybe my 870.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
First firearm was a Sig P226 in 9mm. Second firearm was a Mossberg 590A1 Shotgun. Since then they have been multiplying like rabbits Smile

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A single shot bolt action Remington .22. I've still got it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
First rifle-- Remington Modell 77
First shotgun-- Mossberg 500 poly choke
First handgun --Savage 1905
All gone.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Remington 40X 22lr. Around 1965 when I was shooting in a DCM club back in NJ.

Shot with the son of a gunsmith who became somewhat famous as the years went by..Austin Behlert.

Wish i still had it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Almost 50 years for my 16th birthday a Colt Woodsman Match Target which I still cherish.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad bought me a 410 no name bolt action shotgun...

we sanded...

buffed...

polished that action and barrel to mirror reflection and blued it

I then finished the stock

I'd never sell that gun

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First gun was a 22 rifle that my dad handed down to me. First gun that I bought with my own money was a 410 bolt action shotgun. First handgun was a Ruger standard that I bought second hand when I was 8 for 30 dollars with a holster and extra magazine, my son has it now, still have the 22 rifle, shotgun went to a cousin when I moved up to a 12 ga.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Stevens 20 gauge single-shot.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington 581 back in '67.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
My 'first' gun was a NEF .410 single shot. That I learned to hunt with. At the age of nine the adult shot was a HUGE challenge. I quote it as my dad claims it's his. Currently it's in my brother's gun room, as his daughter has been shooting and hunting with it. Still with the adult stock. (One of these days we're going to need to buy a youth stock for that gun...)

The first gun that was unequivocally mine was my Mossberg 500 combo that my dad gave me for Christmas when I was 16.

First gun I bought with my own money was a Ruger 22/45. I was going to enter law enforcement and it was reccomended to me to get a .22 handgun to learn the basics while keeping the ammo cost to a minimum. Worked great. I figure that gun has 30k+ rounds through it with no parts replaced. I still have it.

First gun that I did a 4473 for? Hmmmmm.... Was likely the S&W 642 that I carried off duty/CCW. Traded it for a Kahr P45.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Beyond a long line of BB guns when I was a kid, I came to firearms and shooting kind of late in life...a P226 in '03, which was what brought me here to SigForum. I don't have that gun anymore, unfortunately, but I'm still here @ SF.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
First I bought: Ruger GP100, .357 Magnum. Stainless, 6". Heavy, solid, and reliable. I love shooting it!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Just after I graduated college, I bought a SIG P226 9mm, stamped "Made in W Germany" and an M-1 Garand

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first firearm was a Savage 42 .410/.22LR combo gun. I was 11 years old and I saved up my grass cutting money and my dad got it for me.

I remember going to the gun store and getting it and 4 boxes of .410 shotshells and 500 rounds of .22LR. Man, did I think that I had something!

We took it out and sighted it in and the next weekend was the early squirrel season. I went with my neighbor, a friend of my dad's and killed 6 squirrel! 3 headshot with the .22LR. 1 body shot with the .22LR 2 with the .410 bore, because I couldn't get a good enough sight for the .22LR.

There were a few misses, but I was extremely happy. I remember that day well.

It was the day I came home from hunting and my dad gave me his old Winchester model 97, that was my grandfather's.

I wasn't 12 yet and I had an Arsenal! With the Winchester model 97 and a box of 12ga. Shotshells and my Savage 42.

They proudly hung on the wall in a simple gunrack that my dad helped me build.

Still have the old Winchester model 97, but the Savage 42 is long gone. I miss that combo gun. It was very handy.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post