SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was your first firearm?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first firearm? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
My first shotgun was an H&R Topper 88 12ga single shot. I begged and begged my Dad who does not shoot for a Remington 870 using my own money. Didn't happen. Back then you could pick up a used Rem 870 for $200 at a gun show and there were hundreds of them.

First rifle I bought was a Ruger 10/22 for $149...lost count at the number of groundhogs, coons, etc. that fell to that rifle. Still have it and just replaced the scope last year.

My first handgun was a Ruger P90 .45 ACP for $309 at a gun show. Not the best pistol in the world, but it was mine and I could shoot it pretty well even with the crappy trigger. Still have it too.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first gun that I ever bought for myself was a Glock G22. I remember back then that .40 was new and controversial. I actually still have the gun but I'm not really sure why as I haven't shot it in at least 10 years. Maybe an bit or nostalgia I supppose.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the first one I fired but the first one I owned was a single shot 16ga shotgun. Don't remember the brand, this was in the late 50's, believe I was 14 but could have been 15. Did not have it long as I tended to trade for different guns often.

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Remington Nylon 66. Still have it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First firearm: Winchester 370 in .410

First rifle: Ruger 10/22

First handgun: Ruger Single Six

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
First gun I bought with my own money was an SKS shotgun.

First handgun was an S&W Model 28. Nabbed a used High Standard Sport King .22 about the same time. STILL kicking myself in the ass for swapping that one off.

First non-rimfire rifle was a Remington 700 BDL in .308

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marlin bolt action in .22lr with a hardwood stock. I purchased it myself, and still have it.

My first handgun was a Springfield 'Loaded' model 1911 in. 45acp. I wanted a pellet pistol first but upon realizing Michigan treats rifled bore pellet handguns the same as real firearms for registration, I said screw it and bought a real firearm instead.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Springfield M1903, Rock Island Arsenal issue, purchased in 1968.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
SW SW99 9MM. I wanted the Walther P99 but didn't want to pay that much. I should have paid that much.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My very first firearm in my life was a Smith & Wesson 20 gauge shotgun my Dad gave me when I was around 10 years and and I had already been shooting for about two years.

Then when I turned 18 and started doing armed security, my Dad gave me a Smith & Wesson .38 Special Model 14 revolver to use as my carry weapon.

I still own both of those guns today. When I was around 21 is when I bought my first firearm for myself, which was a Glock G36 .45 subcompact.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
First rifle was a Thompson Center TCR in .270 I was looking for a Thompson Center encore all they had was a TCR I was dumb enough to buy it. It was accurate there were just no barrels for it.

When I was 19 a deputy sold me a Rossi 351 and 357 Magnum it was actually a great little revolver.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Springfield M1903, Rock Island Arsenal; purchased in 1968.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 13 .357 purchased in 1977 at Herman's Sporting Goods in Springfield VA. Sold it to my CCW instructor in Jan 2002.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
My dad gave me an off brand single shot .22 rifle when I was 12. A few years later, I picked out a Winchester .30-.30 Antlered Game Model 94 for my birthday. The first gun that I purchased is an HK USP 40 that I got right before the Klinton ban.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Glenfield Model 60

(A budget line Marlin .22 that was sold through department stores like Mongtomery Wards.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 16 gauge with a variable choke. I was 16 at the time and learned about duck hunting.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
RST4 Roooger pre-Mark-anything 22LR pistol
It actually saved my life one night.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
First rifle I bought (my dad bought it, I paid for it) was a Winchester Model 88 in .308. Shot a deer with it the next day! First pistol I bought was a Ruger MK1.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Astra 600, purchased in 1965 at the Harvey Barracks Rod and Gun Club in Kizengen Germany , and carried with me to Vietnam. I got a case of 9mm from an Australian Army Engineer unit.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
First handgun - used Colt Lightweight Commander

First SIG - P229 in .40 with .357 barrel

First rifle - Bushmaster AR

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post