SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help ID’ing spider that bit the wife **picture warning”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help ID’ing spider that bit the wife **picture warning” Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
Hi guys! I hate to drop in when I’ve been absent so long, but life just been giving me 25 hours worth of shit to do in a 24 hour day. hopefully now that the baby is a little older I can start shooting and having hobbies again.

With that said, you guys were my first thought with helping me ID this spider. I was at work today and my wife calls me, her finger had puffed up and turned a blackish color (apparently).

She caught the little bastard and id like to ID him. I told my wife “I’ll have an answer within the hour” and she goes “let me guess, your gun forum friends” Big Grin

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any red markings (hour glass) underneath?

Do a Google search for black widow spider pictures.

Don't search only for Black Widow - you'll have to go through many Avenger listings.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Looks like some form of funnel spider but I'm no expert.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of looks like a black widow or maybe a brown widow.

Is there a red hourglass on the abdomen?

No matter what, I would seek medical help if the bite is turning colors.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Seek professional medical help.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the spider and your wife both to seek professional medical advice.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Seek professional medical help.

What he said.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Don’t mess around. Go to the ER.

Posts: 26851 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse-- which this spider definitely is not. The point I want to make from what I learned from his experience is that time is of the essence: get medical help immediately.

Time is of the essence.

Get medical attention right away.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Hopefully she is already at the emergency room, but it "looks" like a black house spider. The venom is toxic, but not lethal. Look for other symptoms such as sweating, muscular pain, vomiting, headache.

Probably too late for first aid, but you're supposed to wrap above the bite area (in this case the arm) to prevent venom spread. Then proceed to the e-room for the anti-venom.

USA Spider Identification Chart

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! This happened this morning, I’m just getting home. Her finger is still swollen, but the color (discolor?) is back to normal. I’ve seen black widows when we had a house in the outer banks, I didn’t think we got them up here though

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I had a spider bite on my hip several years ago. Was worried it was cancer, until the doctor told me it was a spider bite. The skin around the bite decayed about an 1-1/2" circle.

Since then, no spiders remain alive near me.

I think perhaps the area where bitten could make a difference, thicker skin on palm of hands, etc.

Do hope Mrs is okay.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
It may be harmless but sounds like maybe she is having an allergic reaction to the bite and/or venom.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If your location is still SE PA you absolutely get black widows

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Thanks guys! This happened this morning, I’m just getting home. Her finger is still swollen, but the color (discolor?) is back to normal. I’ve seen black widows when we had a house in the outer banks, I didn’t think we got them up here though

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Looking closely at it, I can tell you its an ugly black one. Double your life insurance on you wife.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As an aside, from one parent to another, maybe a break from nursing unless/until the docs give the clear. Just in case.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy,
If my Wife got bit, it would be a smear on the floor.
The big brown hairy spider that caused me to scream got sprayed by the better part of spider/wasp spray can by the wife.
We have spider/wasp/scorpion spray several places in the house/garage and my man cave.
We have our house/garage and man cave professionally sprayed every quarter.
Nothing pleases us more than seeing or finding dead spiders and scorpions.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I had a spider on top of my washcloth this morning when I took a shower. This is the 2nd floor of our house and it was hanging over the glass shower wall, only way that assassin got on there was crawling along the wall and across the top of the metal frame. When I reached for the washcloth it sprang its trap. I saw a blur of black go past and a couple seconds later I realized what happened. It was crawling around in the shower floor. I gave it a nice shampoo via the bottom of the bottle and watched all 10 or so pieces of it wash down the drain. Then I thoroughly rinsed off that washcloth, wrung it out, soaked it in gasoline, lit it on fire, got the family out of the house, it it on fire, told the neighbors, they lit their houses on fire, the city called Space Force, and they nuked from orbit. I am sending this message from Antarctica now.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Does not look like a black widow (have personal experience in living with/identifying those) nor a brown recluse (only third-hand experience - Google photos, etc.)

That said, if the symptoms warrant, seek medical attention.

Posts: 15000 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That does not look like a black widow to me. It looks like some sort of black house spider.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post