SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Halogen Strip Lighting Experts / Electricians - A little help if you have a minute?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halogen Strip Lighting Experts / Electricians - A little help if you have a minute? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Mrs.BurtonRW and I bought an antique glass display counter/cabinet for her craft room. I wasn't expecting the bonus of pre-installed lighting (nor would I have installed any if it wasn't already present), but since it's there, I want it to work.

Looks like a strip of half a dozen halogen bulbs. A pair of wires (10 AWG, stranded) run through a simple conduit and out the bottom.

I'm pretty sure I need a transformer for this, right? Assuming so, any idea what specs? Or is it possible that there's already a small transformer tucked into the end of the light strip?

Please let me know if there's any other information or details I should be looking for or can provide.

I'm certainly competent in basic household wiring, but I have less practical experience with the low voltage stuff and want to make sure I don't blow anything up or burn the house down.

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe that halogens use a transformer. Im pretty sure they run off 120.

Personally, I would pull the halogen strip and replace with an LED strip. A lot less power consumption, and the LEDs don’t get hot. Plus it’s all new wiring and you don’t have to worry about who wired it before you.

I have the same furniture moving discs at home. They work pretty awesome on carpet.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I don’t believe that halogens use a transformer. Im pretty sure they run off 120.

Personally, I would pull the halogen strip and replace with an LED strip. A lot less power consumption, and the LEDs don’t get hot. Plus it’s all new wiring and you don’t have to worry about who wired it before you.

I have the same furniture moving discs at home. They work pretty awesome on carpet.

I'm glad you suggested the LED upgrade. I was really, really thinking about it, but this thing is pretty big, I'm also pretty big, and if anything happens to the glass (or the frame), I'm sunk.

I might just try it anyway and be really careful.

As for the furniture discs - you're not kidding! This thing is so heavy, I hired a couple of guys to move it from the trailer I brought it home in down to the basement. On those discs, I can easily push it across the carpet with one hand. Best "as seen on TV" purchase I've made in a long time.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have used the Philips LED strips on a few different projects. Never had any issues. I can’t seem to find the ones I used. They were made by Philips. I had bought them from Batteries Plus.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

That depends on the Bulb, and possibly the fixture as well. I have low voltage recessed lighting in my kitchen (over the countertops) that use an 'MR-16' Halogen Bulb. There are LV Transformers that are built into each recessed 'can' / fixture.

You definitely need to verify the specs for those Bulbs... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8862 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hard to see from the pic, but the bulbs look like 120V appliance bulbs. Verify, like I said, hard to see. There are various 12V DC & 120V AC bulbs - I'm sure there are some in between as well.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Okay, so upgrade to LED it is. I'd prefer LED anyway, and I won't have to guess at what I'm working with.

Thanks, guys.

-Rob

A=A

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Okay, so upgrade to LED it is. I'd prefer LED anyway, and I won't have to guess at what I'm working with.

Thanks, guys.

-Rob

Yeah, good call! 10 gauge wire is suitable for a LOT of current. If that wasn’t ridiculous overkill for the installed bulbs, you don’t want that draw on your electricity bill, not that much heat in your cabinet.

LED strip, LED rope lighting, there are lots of available choices out there.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Halogen's make a tremendous amount of heat too which is why they need those large wires.
One more reason to go LED.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can most likely find a LED bulb to avoid tearing out what is in there. Kind of hard to see but I think those are wedge type bulbs.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
You can most likely find a LED bulb to avoid tearing out what is in there. Kind of hard to see but I think those are wedge type bulbs.

Good point, I replaced several 194 LED bulbs on my last HD for the gauges, basically wanted a different color than stock, easy peasy plug in replacements.

All you need to know is the model of your bulbs. I'm doubting a transformer was in that original setup, probably a 110 v plug was on the cabinet or it was direct wired to 110.

Super Bright LED bulbs

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should be 120 volt bulbs and no transformer needed, you may want to add a dimmer though. That being said they should make LED plug in replacements for the Halogen, which is wise, because the Halogens throw a lot of heat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post