SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Share fried chicken spice recipe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share fried chicken spice recipe? Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted

This batch has paprika, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, cayenne pepper for a spice mix. Marinate is buttermilk, egg, salt, spice mix. Flour coating has spice mix and salt as seasoning. This is the Food Lab recipe. I want to try other spice mixes.

What do you use as a spice mix?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I use garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and McCormick Italian seasoning.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this one. The one thing that I've never had good luck at cooking is fried chicken.

You'd think that it would be about the easiest thing to cook but yet...I fail.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1. marinate chicken first in Crystal hot sauce
2. LOTS of Lawry's seasoned salt, plus garlic, onion powders and poultry seasoning in flour

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
If you like garlic, try adding a little Johnny's garlic spread in your spice mix. It's rather good.

I brine my chicken in pickle juice before coating.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
What do you use for a coating? egg, flour breadcrumbs?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown has an entire episode of Good Eats on Buttermilk Fried Chicken in a pan (cast iron skillet).

It's excellent, and is the basis of my method. A bit of work, and has to sit overnight, but it's delicious.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

Right now I'm on a low carb diet so I use a 50/50 blend of almond flour and grated Parmesan.

But before that, breadcrumbs.

Both with battered egg as an adhesive.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Grandma used to use cornflakes. It was damn good.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Does the type of oil make a whole lot of difference?

What if I just use corn or veg oil?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is another tip. Brine the chicken before frying. There are recipes for brines all over the internet, so pick one that appeals. The simplest are water, salt, and sugar. Brining keeps the chicken moist, tenderizes it a bit (an acid brine, like buttermilk more so), and the tang of some salt or acid in the brine will counter the richness of the fried batter. Brine it at least 12 hours. 24 is better.

As to spices - paprika, cayenne, sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard, and a little salt are a good place to start. Mix and match. Keep it in balance. It would be hard to go wrong.

Stay away from envelopes of spices - they are mostly salt, and the preservatives are nasty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Here is another tip. Brine the chicken before frying. There are recipes for brines all over the internet, so pick one that appeals. The simplest are water, salt, and sugar. Brining keeps the chicken moist, tenderizes it a bit (an acid brine, like buttermilk more so), and the tang of some salt or acid in the brine will counter the richness of the fried batter. Brine it at least 12 hours. 24 is better.

As to spices - paprika, cayenne, sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard, and a little salt are a good place to start. Mix and match. Keep it in balance. It would be hard to go wrong.

Stay away from envelopes of spices - they are mostly salt, and the preservatives are nasty.

Thanks. I'll try these. I thought that the spice mix I used and posted should have had sage and thyme.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's also better to put the spices on the chicken and underneath the breading rather than in the flour or whatnot because some spices will burn and have an off taste.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Veg or peanut. Depending on your preference.

Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
11 Spices – Mix With 2 Cups White Flour
1) 2/3 tsp Salt
2) 1/2 tsp Thyme
3) 1/2 tsp Basil
4) 1/3 tsp Oregano
5) 1 tsp Celery Salt
6) 1 tsp Black Pepper
7) 1 tsp Dried Mustard
8) 4 tsp Paprika
9) 2 tsp Garlic Salt
10) 1 tsp Ground Ginger
11) 3 tsp White Pepper

I hear it sells a lot.... Wink

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

Veg or peanut. Depending on your preference.

James Beard recommended lard. It is superior, and probably not as unhealthy as we would have thought a few years ago.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I make it with AP flour, garlic salt, onion powder, Lawry's seasoning salt, Mrs Dash, and black pepper. No real measurements, just shake it in until it feels right. Dip chicken in whole milk, then coat with the powder mix and repeat. Fry until golden brown.

Oh, and only use legs or thighs. There's no such thing as good white meat chicken. Smile

Posts: 1510 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think so, I think things taste different/better in peanut oil.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

Right now I'm on a low carb diet so I use a 50/50 blend of almond flour and grated Parmesan.

But before that, breadcrumbs.

Both with battered egg as an adhesive.

Grind up pork rinds to use with your low carb "breading". They add a good flavor and some crunch.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post