SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Share fried chicken spice recipe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share fried chicken spice recipe? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
This thread decided where I'm going to have lunch today.

http://stroudsrestaurant.com/

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I use lard, or peanut oil, fwiw.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
11 Spices – Mix With 2 Cups White Flour
1) 2/3 tsp Salt
2) 1/2 tsp Thyme
3) 1/2 tsp Basil
4) 1/3 tsp Oregano
5) 1 tsp Celery Salt
6) 1 tsp Black Pepper
7) 1 tsp Dried Mustard
8) 4 tsp Paprika
9) 2 tsp Garlic Salt
10) 1 tsp Ground Ginger
11) 3 tsp White Pepper

I hear it sells a lot.... Wink

I've tried this recipe and it is very good. Very close flavor to the famous chain.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
1) 2/3 tsp Salt
2) 1/2 tsp Thyme
3) 1/2 tsp Basil
4) 1/3 tsp Oregano
5) 1 tsp Celery Salt
6) 1 tsp Black Pepper
7) 1 tsp Dried Mustard
8) 4 tsp Paprika
9) 2 tsp Garlic Salt
10) 1 tsp Ground Ginger
11) 3 tsp White Pepper

I tried this recipe tonight.

What I did was marinate the chicken in a mixture of about 1 1/2 cups fresh (direct from the tit to the butter maker to the marinade) buttermilk, 1 egg, some salt and 2 Tbsp of the above spice blend. I let it marinate for 24 hours.

Then, I mixed 2 cups of flour with 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1 tsp of baking powder and the remaining spice mix. I coated the chicken pieces very well, pressing it in good, then shaking off the excess. Then, I fried it in fresh lard (rendered just today) until 150F.

The range report is that the overall roundness of flavor is excellent, owing definitely to the buttermilk marinade IMO. It hits every part of your mouth. But...for my palate, to be perfect it needs a little more zip and more salt, so next time I'll add some cayenne, salt, and maybe a little more paprika to the mix.

Also, I wasn't completely impressed with the crust. It was a good, pleases everybody, kind of a crust, but I would give it a "B". I'll need to experiment with that some more, perhaps adding cornflakes like grandma used to do.

I would add, that if you are able to use lard instead of oil for the frying, do so! It makes all the difference in the world.

This is a work in progress, but the finish line is in sight.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
I bet the Mars-Cockatoo brothers can fix you up with a good recipe with video and all! Cool

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
1) 2/3 tsp Salt
2) 1/2 tsp Thyme
3) 1/2 tsp Basil
4) 1/3 tsp Oregano
5) 1 tsp Celery Salt
6) 1 tsp Black Pepper
7) 1 tsp Dried Mustard
8) 4 tsp Paprika
9) 2 tsp Garlic Salt
10) 1 tsp Ground Ginger
11) 3 tsp White Pepper

I tried this recipe tonight.

What I did was marinate the chicken in a mixture of about 1 1/2 cups fresh (direct from the tit to the butter maker to the marinade) buttermilk, 1 egg, some salt and 2 Tbsp of the above spice blend. I let it marinate for 24 hours.

Then, I mixed 2 cups of flour with 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1 tsp of baking powder and the remaining spice mix. I coated the chicken pieces very well, pressing it in good, then shaking off the excess. Then, I fried it in fresh lard (rendered just today) until 150F.

The range report is that the overall roundness of flavor is excellent, owing definitely to the buttermilk marinade IMO. It hits every part of your mouth. But...for my palate, to be perfect it needs a little more zip and more salt, so next time I'll add some cayenne, salt, and maybe a little more paprika to the mix.

Also, I wasn't completely impressed with the crust. It was a good, pleases everybody, kind of a crust, but I would give it a "B". I'll need to experiment with that some more, perhaps adding cornflakes like grandma used to do.

I would add, that if you are able to use lard instead of oil for the frying, do so! It makes all the difference in the world.

This is a work in progress, but the finish line is in sight.

Thanks, Gustofer, for trying this mix. Ginger? Really? That Colonel got around!

As to the crust, the recipe I posted (very close to your method) fried first then baked at 350 for 5-10 minutes to keep the crust from browning too much. Removing the whole pan to cool down before handling is in order, though, as the crust becomes damp and soft as the steam escapes from the chicken in the oven. I will add cayenne but no more paprika, as this just browns it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
This thread decided where I'm going to have lunch today.

http://stroudsrestaurant.com/

Yummy. This place rocks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post