SIGforum
Share fried chicken spice recipe?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1370001124

March 16, 2017, 09:28 AM
cne32507
Share fried chicken spice recipe?

This batch has paprika, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, cayenne pepper for a spice mix. Marinate is buttermilk, egg, salt, spice mix. Flour coating has spice mix and salt as seasoning. This is the Food Lab recipe. I want to try other spice mixes.

What do you use as a spice mix?
March 16, 2017, 10:30 AM
ryan81986
I use garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and McCormick Italian seasoning.

March 16, 2017, 10:31 AM
Gustofer
I'll be watching this one. The one thing that I've never had good luck at cooking is fried chicken.

You'd think that it would be about the easiest thing to cook but yet...I fail.

March 16, 2017, 10:57 AM
PASig
1. marinate chicken first in Crystal hot sauce
2. LOTS of Lawry's seasoned salt, plus garlic, onion powders and poultry seasoning in flour

March 16, 2017, 11:12 AM
Seotaji
If you like garlic, try adding a little Johnny's garlic spread in your spice mix. It's rather good.

I brine my chicken in pickle juice before coating.
March 16, 2017, 11:49 AM
smschulz

March 16, 2017, 11:58 AM
Green Highlander
What do you use for a coating? egg, flour breadcrumbs?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
March 16, 2017, 12:13 PM
46and2
Alton Brown has an entire episode of Good Eats on Buttermilk Fried Chicken in a pan (cast iron skillet).

It's excellent, and is the basis of my method. A bit of work, and has to sit overnight, but it's delicious.
March 16, 2017, 04:45 PM
ryan81986
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

Right now I'm on a low carb diet so I use a 50/50 blend of almond flour and grated Parmesan.

But before that, breadcrumbs.

Both with battered egg as an adhesive.

March 16, 2017, 04:46 PM
Gustofer
Grandma used to use cornflakes. It was damn good.

March 16, 2017, 06:03 PM
Nismo
Does the type of oil make a whole lot of difference?

What if I just use corn or veg oil?
March 16, 2017, 06:07 PM
jhe888
Here is another tip. Brine the chicken before frying. There are recipes for brines all over the internet, so pick one that appeals. The simplest are water, salt, and sugar. Brining keeps the chicken moist, tenderizes it a bit (an acid brine, like buttermilk more so), and the tang of some salt or acid in the brine will counter the richness of the fried batter. Brine it at least 12 hours. 24 is better.

As to spices - paprika, cayenne, sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard, and a little salt are a good place to start. Mix and match. Keep it in balance. It would be hard to go wrong.

Stay away from envelopes of spices - they are mostly salt, and the preservatives are nasty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 16, 2017, 09:20 PM
cne32507
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Here is another tip. Brine the chicken before frying. There are recipes for brines all over the internet, so pick one that appeals. The simplest are water, salt, and sugar. Brining keeps the chicken moist, tenderizes it a bit (an acid brine, like buttermilk more so), and the tang of some salt or acid in the brine will counter the richness of the fried batter. Brine it at least 12 hours. 24 is better.

As to spices - paprika, cayenne, sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, dry mustard, and a little salt are a good place to start. Mix and match. Keep it in balance. It would be hard to go wrong.

Stay away from envelopes of spices - they are mostly salt, and the preservatives are nasty.

Thanks. I'll try these. I thought that the spice mix I used and posted should have had sage and thyme.
March 16, 2017, 09:42 PM
46and2
It's also better to put the spices on the chicken and underneath the breading rather than in the flour or whatnot because some spices will burn and have an off taste.
March 20, 2017, 07:05 PM
ryan81986
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Veg or peanut. Depending on your preference.

March 20, 2017, 07:38 PM
SuhlShooter
11 Spices – Mix With 2 Cups White Flour
1) 2/3 tsp Salt
2) 1/2 tsp Thyme
3) 1/2 tsp Basil
4) 1/3 tsp Oregano
5) 1 tsp Celery Salt
6) 1 tsp Black Pepper
7) 1 tsp Dried Mustard
8) 4 tsp Paprika
9) 2 tsp Garlic Salt
10) 1 tsp Ground Ginger
11) 3 tsp White Pepper

I hear it sells a lot.... Wink
March 20, 2017, 08:10 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

Veg or peanut. Depending on your preference.

James Beard recommended lard. It is superior, and probably not as unhealthy as we would have thought a few years ago.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 20, 2017, 08:18 PM
skonie
I make it with AP flour, garlic salt, onion powder, Lawry's seasoning salt, Mrs Dash, and black pepper. No real measurements, just shake it in until it feels right. Dip chicken in whole milk, then coat with the powder mix and repeat. Fry until golden brown.

Oh, and only use legs or thighs. There's no such thing as good white meat chicken. Smile
March 21, 2017, 09:45 AM
jimmy123x
quote:

I think so, I think things taste different/better in peanut oil.
March 21, 2017, 10:10 AM
sean7
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:

Right now I'm on a low carb diet so I use a 50/50 blend of almond flour and grated Parmesan.

But before that, breadcrumbs.

Both with battered egg as an adhesive.

Grind up pork rinds to use with your low carb "breading". They add a good flavor and some crunch.