SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do I COMPLETELY remove NIC from XP?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I COMPLETELY remove NIC from XP? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Must absolutely, utterly completely remove all network card references from a Windows XP box. Need to go deep in the registry and Win folder to remove all traces on my card.

It will not connect higher than 10Mbps on a Gigabit network. Tried different cables and wiring to different switches, still stuck.
Have tried updating, removing, uninstalling and praying. No go.

Next step is registry surgery and going into the device folders to find the NIC and send it to driver hell.

Been a loooong time since I`ve done such work and can`t recall whereabouts of the NIC drives and the reg entries that must be nuked.

Hints appreciated.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I have done that as well, I found this while looking.

See if this will do the trick,

Solution: Manually delete the entry from:-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
Interfaces\[Adapter ID]]

Or this one,

· Run command prompt with administrator privilege.
· perform “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1”.
· perform “start devmgmt.msc” to start device manager MMC snap-in.
· Click “Show hidden devices” on the View menu in Device Managers ,so that you should see the old devices that are not connected to the computer.
· remove the old NIC form network adapters category.

Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If you're running XP I'm guessing you're running a pretty old machine. Are you sure your bus can handle more than 10mbps?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
First > XP seriously? Confused > Razz

Second, why do all of that> just disable it.
Third, then install another adaptor.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Must absolutely, utterly completely remove all network card references from a Windows XP box. Need to go deep in the registry and Win folder to remove all traces on my card.

It will not connect higher than 10Mbps on a Gigabit network. Tried different cables and wiring to different switches, still stuck.
Have tried updating, removing, uninstalling and praying. No go.

Next step is registry surgery and going into the device folders to find the NIC and send it to driver hell.

Been a loooong time since I`ve done such work and can`t recall whereabouts of the NIC drives and the reg entries that must be nuked.

Hints appreciated.

0-0

If you can't get off of XP as fast as you can, then try:

run these commands or put them in a .bat file
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

once device manager opens, go to VIEW and choose SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

Then expand your Network Adapters and delete anything greyed out, plus any others you don't want.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Did you specify the negotiation speed in the configuration portion of the network adaptor?

This example is for a fast Ethernet adaptor but a GB speed adaptor will have the GB option.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
A few observations.

PC has built in Gigabit card, just stopped running that fast.
Autonegotiation enabled is what put it in 10 mode, sometimes I force it to 100 full duplex mode.
Wil look into hidden devices.

Someone can point me in the right direction for the .inf and drivers repository

Running XP because the W2000 machine broke down... Still in the 4th sorld down here

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
PC has built in Gigabit card, just stopped running that fast.Autonegotiation enabled is what put it in 10 mode, sometimes I force it to 100 full duplex mode.

You need to force it into the GB full duplex mode not 100 full duplex.

Additionally, have you checked the connection with another device.
Also it may be that the card is failing or cannot sense and run GB faithfully (now) regardless of what happened in the past.
It just doesn't change out of the blue for a reason ~ I would look to the physical issues or try a new card (those can't be that expensive even the third or fourth world).
If your are going to force a new driver then uninstall from the device manager the download and install the new driver > which I assume you already have done with no results hence looking at the physical properties > ports, cables, connectors or try another adaptor.
Good Luck

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that many times and many moons ago.

Forcing to giga speds brings no noy, only pushing up to 100 sill work.
Today I brought a patchcord i trust to try another switch, still no joy.

Mobo has all slots in use. No can do on additional NIC. Will try removing LPT card that has one of those ancient lpt port security devices and see what happens. Last ditch on the physical side of things. Have reset sockets infinite number of times as well.

0-0

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
while reading about this issue I saw someone suggest shutting down the machine and unplugging the power for 5 minutes or so. I know, sounds stupid but if you've tried everything else... who knows. If you're sure you're using a Cat 5e or better cable, connected to a 100mb or higher switch I'm not sure why a driver suddenly would keep the nic from going above 10mb.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
format c:/

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
With a screw driver! Big Grin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I miss being an OS/2 geek.

0-0

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
How about disabling the onboard nic in CMOS and putting in a functioning PCI network adapter? There should be plenty on Ebay and such.

You also may want to look for updated drivers from the motherboard manufacturer or the network adapter manufacturer.

It's a long shot but may also wan to try a new network cable and different port on the switch.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Have already tried most of what has been suggested. I have 30 years experience maintaing computers and networks and unfortunately have forgotten a lot over the years in terms of practice but keep the memory of having soñved thse issues many times.
Short of removing hidd en/past devices from the hardware administrator I believe the ticket is removing the .inf and network adapters from the sindows subfolders and cleaning the registry manually.

Have tried different cables with different ports and switches. Updated from different sources etc. No go.
The machine has software I can"t replace otherwise I would have numed it from orbit a long time ago. It still has an lpt hardlock key.
Hate no being able to fix it.

0-0

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
At some point you have to ask "is getting GB network speeds worth it?".
It is an ancient computer with an extinct OS after all.
I know lots of people who run just fast Ethernet (100) just fine and FWIW virtually most all wifi connections never even get close to GB speeds.
Maybe face the fact it's just a bad card (or internal NIC in this case).
A USB GB NIC would need to be USB 3.0 to achieve the full speed and a USB 2.0 GB NIC would max out at 400mbs.
Good Luck.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Company machine, HHRR single one. Takes forever to do the banking stuff.

0-0

posted Hide Post
Disable it in the BIOS

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Here is a free download book on Windows XP registry if you have not seen this yet.

Years ago I was Microsoft certified on Windows XP but have long ago forgotten most of it.

XP keeps a backup of the registry in the Windows system32 folder somewhere but not sure if that will be of any use. System Restore points, if they exist, also keep backup copies of the registry keys for each restore point. Of course that folder is a hidden system folder and NTFS permissions to it may need to be changed to access even for an administrator.

http://www.spumonte.com/files/...Registry%20Guide.pdf

There are still active forums for Windows XP.

https://www.xpforums.com/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.c...me-and-professional/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/

https://social.technet.microso...home?forum=itproxpsp

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post