SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the Top of the Line Broadcast Spreader
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Top of the Line Broadcast Spreader Login/Join 
posted
I want a good push broadcast spreader. This will be used for fertilizing and seeding food plots.

It needs to open large enough for soybeans. I'd like it to have pneumatic tires and a cover, though I can always fashion one of those if needed.

I know we have some landscapers here, what's the go to brand for the pros?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What size are your food plots?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What size are your food plots?

About an acre which is why I'm finding it hard to justify a 3 pt mount, or a tow behind. In the time it would take to drop the tiller and hook up the spreader I can be done with a push spreader.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Scotts Broadcast Spreader. It does fine on a half acre, but requires some skill in terms of calibration. The more expensive ones seem to be tow behind.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I use a Scotts Broadcast Spreader. It does fine on a half acre, but requires some skill in terms of calibration. The more expensive ones seem to be tow behind.

I've been using a Scotts too, but the little plastic wheels don't work well so I'm looking to upgrade. I may use it for fertilizer on some new plots too which will be pretty rough until I get them worked in so I want some good tires on it.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
https://www.kellytractor.com/e...aGatorBrochureLR.pdf

You’ll never look at yard work the same way.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
With just 1 acre greenfields, seriously consider ditching wheels altogether. My brother turned me on to the Earthway bag spreader. Holds 25lbs, sling it over your shoulder, turn the crank and go.

https://www.amazon.com/Earthwa...Seeder/dp/B000XS3EHA

Between the two of us we have access to the bag spreaders, a wheeled one, and a big beat up 3pt spreader my brother got for $100. Only thing the 3pt gets used for is heavy loads of lime. He does ALL his food plot seeding with the bag spreader.

The lot my home sits on is 1/3 acre with about 10,000 sq feet of lawn. It took me maybe 8 minutes to put down Balan pre-emergent. Putting down 50 lbs of 13-13-13 took me maybe 15 minutes and that includes stopping to fill the bag.

I really questioned whether I'd like the bag spreader, but using his for the Balan sold me in 5 minutes. I thought carrying the weight in the bag would bother me, but its way easier on my back than hunching over to push the crappy scotts spreader i have. On uneven ground, you'll like the bag spreader even more as opposed to bouncing a wheeled unit over tilled ground.

If you must have wheels Earthway makes really good ones that are highly regarded.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's top of the line, but I have a Lesco rotary spreader that makes anything labeled Scotts look like a child's toy. The only downside is when buying fertilizer from big box stores, the bags list Scotts spreader settings so I have to convert the Scotts number to a Lesco number. There are charts online for this.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty spendy!!! Looks indestructible. Ten times the cost of Scotts. What do you like about it??

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I didn't buy the stainless steel one, so I paid around $200. I had several Scotts spreaders, both drop and broadcast, and pushing them over St Augustine was a real chore. The pneumatic rubber tires on the Lesco have no trouble with it. My 82 year old father uses it on his lawn even. The hopper holds 50lbs so I can just dump the whole bag in which was great when I had 3/4 of an acre of grass.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK thank you.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I bought an Agri-Fab after getting fed up with the cheap plastic Scott’s that resulted in spilled fertilizer with every bump and dip. The tires on this unit eat up uneven terrain and make quick work. And at 130 lbs. capacity there is no stopping to refill.

It’s ridiculously oversized for the small lot we’re on, but we’ll hopefully be able to use it to its full potential once we move to Wichita.

Honda push mower for scale.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Scott’s spreaders are absolute junk.

I got a small echo and it well made for a decent price.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Produ...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
With just 1 acre greenfields, seriously consider ditching wheels altogether. My brother turned me on to the Earthway bag spreader. Holds 25lbs, sling it over your shoulder, turn the crank and go.

https://www.amazon.com/Earthwa...Seeder/dp/B000XS3EHA

Between the two of us we have access to the bag spreaders, a wheeled one, and a big beat up 3pt spreader my brother got for $100. Only thing the 3pt gets used for is heavy loads of lime. He does ALL his food plot seeding with the bag spreader.

The lot my home sits on is 1/3 acre with about 10,000 sq feet of lawn. It took me maybe 8 minutes to put down Balan pre-emergent. Putting down 50 lbs of 13-13-13 took me maybe 15 minutes and that includes stopping to fill the bag.

I really questioned whether I'd like the bag spreader, but using his for the Balan sold me in 5 minutes. I thought carrying the weight in the bag would bother me, but its way easier on my back than hunching over to push the crappy scotts spreader i have. On uneven ground, you'll like the bag spreader even more as opposed to bouncing a wheeled unit over tilled ground.

If you must have wheels Earthway makes really good ones that are highly regarded.

I've actually had one of these on my list for a while for putting in small clover plots. Do you know if it will handle big seeds like soybeans?

If so then similar to what you're doing is like pto one for lime and fertilizer, but could use the bag one for seeding.

Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
I've actually had one of these on my list for a while for putting in small clover plots. Do you know if it will handle big seeds like soybeans?

If so then similar to what you're doing is like pto one for lime and fertilizer, but could use the bag one for seeding.

I asked my brother and although he hasn't planted beans with it, he said it should be fine. Looking at mine, the gate on it opens just as wide as any other wheeled spreader I've used.

Like you suggest, even if he has the tractor or 4-wheeler with him with the spreaders on them, he seeds with the bag spreader. I really had no appreciation for how useful the bag spreader is until I used it on my own property. I bought my own within a week.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lesco

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Real deal, top of the line, number one broadcast push spreader The Andersons 2000SR. It's what I use. The secret is in the helical cone. I have no idea about spreading soybean seed though.

https://www.lawnandpestcontrol...nless-steel-spreader

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
YES SIR. Be the boss of your neighborhood with this baby!! Tires look HUGE.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Real deal, top of the line, number one broadcast push spreader The Andersons 2000SR. It's what I use. The secret is in the helical cone. I have no idea about spreading soybean seed though.

Whooo!! makes my stainless Lesco look cheap. The Lesco does work well though.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Wow, I had no idea. I was thinking $200 would be top of the line maybe I was thinking more middle of the line Big Grin