SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heading to Seattle. Qs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Seattle. Qs Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
I'm going to Seattle for a few days. First question, what must I see? Much of my time is accounted for but I'm going to try to get out a little. I'll be downtown, limited to feet and uber. Second, can I carry an assisted folding knife?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Others may have a better or up to date opinion regarding a knife in downtown Seattle. IMHO, assisted, no. Length, blade length no longer than 3”.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Delica meets the LEO once over IMHO.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to keep posting, I think this is some good advice: Be under 3.5” and no fixed blade, switchblade or spring assist. Must be a folder. I’ll let someone else set the record straight..

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you like sports, baseball in particular go see a Mariner game if they are in town. It is a great venue.

Because of boeing I believe there is an inpressive areospace museum.

Waterfront.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Museum of Flight...huge & awesome, B-17 out in front when we saw it a few years ago, a ton of planes, cruise missiles, historical, recently in March we visited Paul Allen's WWII museum...small & nice! Tanks, vintage WWII planes...love the corsair! Boeing factory tour was good..no picture taking allowed though...small Korean BBQ place across form Boeing was very good!! Univ. of Washington is cool if you like to do a lot of walking, Microsoft visitor center (buses pick you up from hotel..included in the $fee). Downtown we saw a Amazon shop...looked interesting, but we didn't get the chance to visit that one.

It you're there on the weekend book your dinner reservation early...they fill up fast. Shuckers restaurant-Downtown was very busy but the food & service were excellent. I carried a kershaw folder all around this time. but you better check the local laws regarding spring assisted.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
What kind of food do you enjoy?

Pike Place Market is nice to walk through.

Ditto for the Boeing museum of flight. Really good.

West Coast Armory is a good range in Bellevue and Outdoor Emporium is a great LGS and outdoor gear store, just south of downtown. Filson flagship store is great, and is near Outdoor Emporium.

PM me if you want restaurant recs. I live 10 mins from downtown and work downtown.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Seattle so I have the jaded disinterest of a native. What would I do?

The Museum of Flight is a must do.

If you want to walk around, go to 1st and Pike to where you are facing the Pike Place Market. Turn right and walk a three or four blocks to the North. Then cross the street and walk South. You can go ten or 15 blocks South and cover the Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square. This is particularly good if you like shops, bars and dining.

Don't go any further than Safeco Field and don't do this at night. These areas can be rough at certain times of day.

Personally, I like Tacoma more than Seattle. Tacoma has the Lemay Car Museum and the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. I had a really good time at these two places.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lots of stoned young’ins and tweakers.

Learn to say no to each and every one of the begging for money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, be careful where you go on foot. LOTS of doped up freaks on the streets.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
https://www.palacekitchen.com/
If you like great food, this is one of the best in Seattle.
Owl&Thistle for great Irish food (near First and Thistle)
And The New Orleans for great Cajun food in Pioneer Square.

And Museum of Flight is a great tour. Lots of planes to see including the SR-71, WWI and WWII planes. Very cool atmosphere.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Space Needle offers tremendous views of a once promising city...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
Personally, I like Tacoma more than Seattle. Tacoma has the Lemay Car Museum and the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. I had a really good time at these two places.

V.

I worked around the corner from the Le May Museum until last fall. It’s junkie central now and only getting worse. I didn’t feel safe there, even carrying daily. Ymmv.

Museum of Flight is a must.

The Experience Music Project/ Sci Fi Museum near the Space Needle is a must see if you like anything sci-fi. They’ve also got a permanent Jimi Hendrix exhibit there with pieces that rotate in and out of display. I’ve been about a foot away from the white Strat he played at Woodstock, for example. That was pretty neat. They also have a permanent Nirvana exhibit if you’re a fan, and even if you aren’t, there’s some neat stuff there. Guitars and amps from Clapton (The Strat “Layla” was recorded with), Eddie Van Halen, Kurt Cobain and Bo Diddly also featured with many more that come and go. In the basement, I’ve been next to the Xenomorph suit from Alien, an endoskeloton from Terminator 2, seen props from Star Wars, Star Trek, and Stargate. Christopher Reeve’s Superman suit, and Arnold’s appropriated biker outfit from T2 we’re in the same room for a while. Reeves was a much bigger dude than Arnold back in the day, if the difference in size between the costumes is anything to go by.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. So how for is the Museum of flight from downtown?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.museumofflight.org

http://www.museumofflight.org/...rking-and-Directions

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The comments about drugs and homelessness in the Puget Sound area are valid. Be careful where you go and when. The places I mentioned in my previous post are good to visit but bums and druggies seem to be everywhere these days.

I do believe that the Space Needle is being remodeled. A superior alternative is the Columbia Tower. It's a 76 story skyscraper with a viewing deck on one of the higher floors. If you want a view of the area it can't be beat, especially in terms of price when compared with the Space Needle.

The "walkabout" I mentioned in my previous post covers a lot of stuff but don't do it after 4:00 PM.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Thanks all. So how for is the Museum of flight from downtown?

It's an Uber type of deal. It's about five or six miles but it's not bad for a person visiting. Very workable.

V.

posted Hide Post
This will be another longer Uber drive but it’s worth a visit to see Paul Allen’s flight and tank collection. https://flyingheritage.org

Depending on when you are here, the flight events are going on during the weekends. nothing like seeing a Focke Wolf or Spitfire in the air, followed up by a Hurricane or Mosquito.

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Museum of Flight
Take a ferry ride round trip across Puget Sound to Widby or Bainbridge
Mariners Baseball
Pike Place Market
El Goucho for lobster mashed potatoes and a steak

Pack a jacket for all activities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TXJIM,

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Underground Tour and the Chihuly Glass Museum.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post