SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Step-Daughter in Ski Accident - UPDATE #2 Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Step-Daughter in Ski Accident - UPDATE #2 Page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
We have had one hell of a week.

I work out of state and was home on a home trip last weekend. Got in around midnight last Thursday night. Got up early Friday to have a step-dad - step-daughter outing going skiing. We went to Ski Apache, near Ruidoso NM, and were first in line for the lifts opening. We did a green run to limber up, as is my practice. We then took the gondola to the top.

Blue run down, connecting with a green. Right at the transition, my step-daughter took a spill and hit a tree. Watching her hit and the aftermath, I knew we weren't getting off the mountain under our own power, so I called ski patrol. They came and took her down in a sled (the kind behind a ski patrol guy, not a snowmobile).

After stabilization, we decided transport to a hospital was the correct course of action. In Ruidoso, they did imaging and found a pelvis broken in several places and a broken right arm. They also saw what they thought was a blood clot, and decided to transport to a Level 1 facility, the closest one being El Paso.

On arrival at El Paso, the attending ortho decided surgery wasn't necessary. They kept her they kept her three nights before releasing her.

Fortunately, thank God, she is healing well. She was doing PT on Saturday morning - just assisted shuffle steps, but on her feet nonetheless. We see improvement daily. There is something to be said for being 18.

I had to be a rock on the mountain for her, and a rock in the hospital both for her and her mom (and the rest of the family). But it tears me up inside. I would gladly take her pain if I could.

I'm thankful for for a number of things. Family first. Mom, Dad, Step-Mom, both grandmas and siblings all pulled together to do the right thing. And they have all gone out of the way to make sure I know they don't blame me. I still blame myself, even though I know intellectually it's not my fault.

I'm thankful for the excellent care she received. Ski patrol was fantastic, and the medical providers couldn't have done a better job.

I'm thankful she's healing so well. We thought surgery would have been required, but apparently not. I guess it was fractured and not shattered. I never did see the imaging. No head injury, as she had already fallen and slid into the tree (at a decent speed), hitting about belt high and wrapping around it.

I'm thankful for the New Mexico Sate Cop who pulled me over for speeding in Ruidoso. I got gas, and left the gas station not watching my speed - I was probably 10 or so over. He asked why I was speeding, I told him the short-version story, and seeing how distraught I was he handed my ID back and told me to just go, but drive safely as I wouldn't help anyone if I didn't get there in one piece.

As y'all think about it, send a few prayers and good thoughts to your higher power. He is obviously working miracles.

Thanks you for listening to an old man's ravings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IntrepidTraveler,

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm happy she's on the mend.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Here's to her complete recovery. Way to be there for her through all this.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Prayers up brother.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Marsie, me too. More than you can imagine.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Prayers for her quick and easy recovery, for the distress of everyone associated, and my gratitude to the NM highway patrolman.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad she is on the mend so quickly,
prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for both of you.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm so glad that ended up the way it did. I know that sounds bad but I've seen the aftermath of skier tree collisions many times and they can be really, really bad. Trees are very unforgiving. Sending good thoughts to your entire family, especially your step daughter. I hope she heals quickly. You guys are a stand up family for sure.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Wow, that could have ended so much worse. Trees and skis can be a deadly combination.

Really glad to hear she's doing well and getting better.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a positive outcome considering. It's a good thing she's young. Keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't overdo it. At 18 she thinks she's indestructible.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Really sucks to have an accident like that, but if one has to do it, 18 years old is one of the better times. She's probably not even going to be stiff in 6-8 months. Good thoughts sent her way, hoping that she is 100% even faster!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Wishing your step-daughter a speedy and full recovery.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent. I teared up just reading it. There's times I hate being an adult. Be thankful you were there and made the right decisions promptly.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

So thankful that your child is on the mend.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I am sorry and hope she recovers quickly and fully. I am always thankful for those who go the the hell it takes to become our healers in the medical professions.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
IntrepidTraveler, I have a young daughter and I would not be able to handle seeing her suffer that kind of pain.

I am praying for her continued and complete recovery.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Thank God younger people heal fast. Sorry she has to go through this. Frown

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My very best thoughts and wishes for you and your daughter. I hope she heals quickly and makes a full recovery. I can't fathom what it must be like to see your child going through something like this.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post