SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rechargeable Lithium Ion Lawn Mower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechargeable Lithium Ion Lawn Mower Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I have a small yard, never needed a gas mower. A cheap electric mower has always done the job, but I've been mowing lawns with an electric mower since middle school, and I've been itching to cut the cord.

I just didn't want to buy version 1.0 of these, and be a beta tester, now that they've been out and come down in price the time is right.

I picked up the Ryobi, and I'm impressed. It's light and quiet, feels almost like a toy, but it does the job. I have 1/3 acre, lots of nooks and crannies, and not having to whip the cord about is a thing of wonder. It was only slightly more expensive than a small electric mower.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nice! When I lived in a townhouse I had a tiny yard, I bought a reel mower. It was awesome so long as I kept ahead of the button weeds.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I have about the same situation. I bought a Worx 24v about 5 years ago. It's still going strong and gets the job done. Best part is I don't have to deal with gas. One charge more than handles the front and back yard.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have thought about getting one myself as I have a small yard as well, maybe 60 foot by 15 feet, long narrow thing.

Right now I have an old used gas mower I bought for 75 bucks that works, but the idea of being able to fold this up and carry it down the Bilco doors into my basement appeals to me. Right now it gets left on my covered patio as I don't have a shed or other place to store it.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The Ryobi is 40v 5ah, and the handle collapses flat to it, about the size of a large suitcase. I don't bag, it comes with a "mulch plug." My 3 year old could probably mow now, if he could figure out how to turn it on.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We have had our Worx for about a year and can't get both front and back on a single charge which is a pain. We have a small suburban lot, maybe 1/4 of an acre and the back yard is mostly pool and patio.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I got This one from GreenWorks along with the weed eater and leaf blower: All use the same 80v batteries. They're pricey, but there was this special deal from amazon... All have performed flawlessly and I couldn't be more pleased.

"Pay once, cry once."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Does the Worx have a removable battery? The Ryobi does, and it fits a chainsaw that I'll be getting to replace my corded one.

Arc.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Yes, the mover holds 2 batteries and the same battery powers the weed eater.

Eta....each battery is 56v.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have the eGo trimmer and blower 56V system, works great, tons of power, fast charge, well made units. Neighbor has the self propelled eGo mower, said it's perfect for his lawn doesn't run out of charge he mows every week down here so it gets plenty of use, and has a medium size yard. If it rolls through St Augustine grass with ease, KY bluegrass will be nothing...

If you get the mower, trimmer, blower etc all of them use the same 56V battery and come with a charger for quick charge, so you have spare power.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO...d-LM2102SP/206515944

although if your yard is pretty small maybe you could go robotic, get one of the autonomous battery operated mowers, then you just sit on the porch with a beer and watch it cut the lawn..

https://www.intorobotics.com/t...obotics-lawn-mowers/

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Ryobi lithium ion tiller for my raised beds. I was rather surprised at how well it works.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Does the Worx have a removable battery? The Ryobi does, and it fits a chainsaw that I'll be getting to replace my corded one.

Just try to pry my Dewalt battery operated chain saw out of may hands...

I have a nice Stihl I use to take down large trees or cut large logs up. When I am trimming trees or limbing them to put in the chipper the electric just kills the stihl. I reach down and it turns on. No leaving it idling and hoping it is still running or having to start it every 3-4 minutes.. It is bad to the bone.

And of course, it gives me an excuse to buy some new Dewalt tools and pass my Rigid drill and saws off to a young man that is getting his life straight and helping me a ton on our property.

He wins, I win and the wife (who uses more mulch then you would think humanly possible around her garden beds) gets more mulch with less bellyaching... I thought I was pulling one over on her when I justified her need for mulch to buy the chipper but she is the one laughing now...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm itching for an ego 21. I have an electric trimmer and would never, ever go back to gas, especially with the ethanol crap that ruins 2 strokes.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I refused to spend the kind of scratch that Ego wanted for a cordless mower. I already had the string trimmer and the blower, and they were fantastic.

For Christmas, my son bought me the Ego chainsaw. It cuts great! Has the large 5.0 battery. So then I'm sitting on 3 Ego batteries that all interchange. See the mower sans battery for like $179 and am loving it. The smaller 2.5 battery alone has enough juice to cut the lawn, string trim it, and blow the driveway/porch off.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on going cordless.

I did 20 years ago with a Black & Decker CM1000. Still use it and with the original battery pack. I guess I just know how to baby batteries, or am just a lucky bastard when it comes to batteries.

But I've looked at replacement options. Thanks for the info.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I have the eGo trimmer and blower 56V system, works great, tons of power, fast charge, well made units. Neighbor has the self propelled eGo mower, said it's perfect for his lawn doesn't run out of charge he mows every week down here so it gets plenty of use, and has a medium size yard. If it rolls through St Augustine grass with ease, KY bluegrass will be nothing...

If you get the mower, trimmer, blower etc all of them use the same 56V battery and come with a charger for quick charge, so you have spare power.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO...d-LM2102SP/206515944

although if your yard is pretty small maybe you could go robotic, get one of the autonomous battery operated mowers, then you just sit on the porch with a beer and watch it cut the lawn..

https://www.intorobotics.com/t...obotics-lawn-mowers/

Got the mower and chainsaw. They are fantastic.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My FIL has the ego push mower with bag. I didn't want to like it, but it works great, cuts the grass like a razor. Will handle most folks fenced back yards and trim around the house with battery to spare. Nothing negative to say about it after about a year of ownership.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Picked up the companion 40v chainsaw, took down an 18" tree and cut it all into 3' pieces on 2 batteries. Daddy Likes.

Arc.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just came across this as an FYI for anyone with cordless electric lawnmowers:

Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers Recalled Due to Fire Hazard: Kobalt and Greenworks models

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Big fan of my Ryobi 40v mower. Going on 4 years now. Also have the 40v weed eater with a tiller head, and the 40v blower as well.

Perfect for my small yard and light duty work. Been very happy with my Ryobi 18v tools as well.

Based on these experiences, I just replaced my broke down garage door opener with a Ryobi one. It uses one of the 18v batteries as backup to allow it to open/close in case of power outage.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post