SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Problem with AC condenser fan.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with AC condenser fan. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
So yesterday it got up into the 80's was really warm in the house. Decided to turn on the AC to cool things down and make sure it worked before the real heat shows up.

It started blowing cold air and then at some point I realized it was warm in the house and checked all I had was house temperature air coming through the vents.

A little investigating and I found the fan for the condenser wasn't moving. Turned it off for awhile. Stuck a small ruler through the grates and it turned freely. Turned the unit on and still no movement. Blower motor inside the house was working and moving air.

Stuck the ruler through the grates and gave it a spin and it started moving on its own. Turned the ac off and it will not start moving without a little push.

Looked for a starter or something on the motor and didn't see anything. Raining on and off here today so I haven't taken and grates off the top to access and get a better look. Would like to get this fixed before I really need it.

What so the experiences HVAC folks here?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are looking for a start capacitor
Usually in a side panel near the motor contactor

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We had the same kind of problem last year.

Check the start capacitor for the condenser fan! You have exactly the same symptoms as we had.

ISTR, the cost of the new capacitor was about 20 bucks. Turns out that in our system (relatively new) they have one capacitor with multiple terminals so they can have all the capacitor circuits in one "can".

Easy enough to replace.

Just make sure to plug any wires from the old one to the same terminals on the new one.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Found it after taking off a side cover.

is this the same one.

https://www.amazon.com/Genteq-...7F9834/dp/B008OJRHJG

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the same part.
However, you'd be better off purchasing a 440v model. It will normally have a longer lifespan.

Titan Pro
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ti...CEAUYAiABEgIgH_D_BwE

Titan Heavy Duty
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ti...n-Capacitor-440-370V

Goodman/Janitrol unit, eh?
You'll want to inspect the contactor points as well, they are probably pretty pitted.
As an extra bonus, inspect the compressor wiring terminals (at the compressor) to insure they're not in dismay.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Yes, that is the same part.
However, you'd be better off purchasing a 440v model. It will normally have a longer lifespan.

Titan Pro
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ti...CEAUYAiABEgIgH_D_BwE

Titan Heavy Duty
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ti...n-Capacitor-440-370V

Goodman/Janitrol unit, eh?
You'll want to inspect the contactor points as well, they are probably pretty pitted.
As an extra bonus, inspect the compressor wiring terminals (at the compressor) to insure they're not in dismay.

Thanks

Yes its a Goodman

I will check everything out.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, you should be able to spin the condenser fan by hand to get it running and keep your house cool until the part arrives.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
In the meantime, you should be able to spin the condenser fan by hand to get it running and keep your house cool until the part arrives.

Not no, but HELL NO!!

That cap is blown apart, its for the compressor and the fan.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I did this for a little while as I was testing stuff yesterday. Not going to do it again after seeing the capacitor.

Temps have cooled back down anyway so I should be good for now. Glad I tried the AC yesterday when it got warm. Figured it would be a good idea and seems it was.

Part is ordered and will be here mid-week.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not no, but HELL NO!!

Didn't realize it was for the compressor too

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not no, but HELL NO!!

I did this on my old A/C which had separate capacitors ran it until the house was cool, then pulled disconnect. I can understand on dual, but for separate ones, can it hurt something?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I did this on my old A/C which had separate capacitors ran it until the house was cool, then pulled disconnect. I can understand on dual, but for separate ones, can it hurt something?

Hurt, not really for short term, but it can shorten the life of the motor.

The run capacitor is there for two reasons:
First, to create a phase shift to get the rotor spinning.
And secondly, to allow for efficient operation.

If the capacitor isn't there and you spin it to get it running, the first is no longer an issue.
However, the motor is no longer running efficiently. So now it'll be pulling more current, which is heat. Most HVAC motors have a very low service factor. So any additional current (heat) will lead to premature failure of the coatings on the windings.

posted Hide Post
Always keep a spare contactor and a set of capacitors . They will save your ass on some Sunday afternoon when one of them fails .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Always keep a spare contactor and a set of capacitors . They will save your ass on some Sunday afternoon when one of them fails .

And a set of fuses, if your condensing unit has them instead of a breaker.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post