SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ladder safety refresher
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ladder safety refresher Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wasp spray followed by a pressure washer to blast the nest apart from a distance after sunset.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

If it was in a bush, a 12ga with birdshot works great. That'd be hard on your fence.

The first summer I moved into my place, I had about a million paper wasps flying around. They weren't aggressive at all, just...everywhere. For several months I tried to figure out where they were all coming from and one day I happened to look up into one of the Ponderosas next to my shed and there was a nest no less than 24" around literally crawling with thousands of those bastards. Problem was, it was around 30' up in the tree and beyond the reach of the spray cans.

So, I called up a pest removal fella. He showed up the next morning and looked up into the tree. "Got a ladder?", he says. I brought him the ladder and he put it against the tree and climbed up to around 5' from the nest...in shorts and a T-shirt! Eek

He then climbed back down and scratched his beard for a minute while deep in thought, staring up at the nest. He then turned to me and asked, "Got a shotgun?". "Yep", I said, and went and retrieved it and filled it up with 6-shot. I handed it to him and said, "I'll watch from inside". Big Grin

I'll be damned if it didn't work great. Two shells and there was nothing left of that hive.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I'd do like others have indicated. Go out at 0300 hrs and spray with some form of insecticide. Repeat if necessary over a few days and eliminate the problem.

Due to the location, I would likely purchase a few fogger devices and engage them aimed at the nest and walk away.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Those are Bald Faced Hornets.. the only thing that is meaner than a grizzly bear. I hate them.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I hear this guy is looking for a challenge.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
A closeup of the problematic area: .

Any advice?

I had one about that size in an SPF tree (*) between our property and a next-door-neighbour's, about 4-5 feet off the ground. The immediate areas on each side of the tree were fairly heavily trafficked, so it had to go.

Waited until it got as dark and cool as it was going to get (middle of summer, so not very cool at night), propped a flashlight aimed at it from about 15 feet back on a swing set, then thoroughly nailed the entire thing with an entire can of that long-distance-shooting asshole killer spray from about 10 feet back.

None of 'em ever got off the hive, near as I could tell. I didn't wait around. When the can started running out I split. Went back and retrieved the flashlight about 15-20 minutes later.

Next day there was no activity.

(*) "SPF tree": I can never remember the difference between spruces, pines and firs. Lumber yards call the lumber harvested from them all "SPF," so that's what I call 'em Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
A new ladder is certainly justified, and I can assure you (speaking from experience) that the cost of the new ladder will be much, much less than the medical cost (and recovery time) from trying to reclaim your existing ladder... Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Dare you to kick that bitch count to 30 and run!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Hitting it with a truckload of liquid nitrogen usually works in the movies. That won't burn down your town and it's somewhat safer than dealing with Chavaknikovian terrorists on the black market to get the nuke. It also has the added bonus of not coming with that nasty long-term half life problem.

Seriously, new ladder now and then retrieve that one in the depths of winter.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend calling a professional. Ladders are very dangerous... Smile

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+! on the professional. Point it out, go away, and come back much, much later.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
What ever you do decide to do, make sure to video tape it.

We'll either be laughing with your, or at you, either way a good laugh is to be had.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
I hear this guy is looking for a challenge.

[VIDEO]

I have to watch more videos of this guy, he's freaking awesome!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's simple

1. Grab ladder firmly
2. Give it a few solid shakes to loosen nest
3. Set ladder up normally
4. Climb and kick nest loose

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post