SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ladder safety refresher
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ladder safety refresher Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted
Needed to use my taller step-ladder, the one I keep outside, and realized I may not be completely up to speed on all the safety rules. It looks like this: .

A closeup of the problematic area: .

Any advice?

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nest with a about a million asshole wasps inside?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
As they say on SigForum: "Kill it with Fire!"

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has ladders. That one looks unsafe to me.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wait a few months and free up the ladder when it's 30 degrees outside. I'd buy a new ladder before I tackled that nest.

If it was in a bush, a 12ga with birdshot works great. That'd be hard on your fence.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aluminum is fireproof. Flame On!!!

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Just start hitting it with wasp spray, let it soak in startdismantleing a little at a time, more spray-repeat.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I definitely considered the KIWF option.

The Aluminium ladder might resist the flame, but that is T-111 siding behind it. Might as well move to Santa Rosa!

I have about a month before the next hard freeze, the can lights in the ceiling are going to have to wait for their new bulbs.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Wait till after dark and hose it down with a couple cans of that 21 foot wasp spray. Jeez, that's a dangerous nest

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ladders are the most dangerous item in the shop...that one more so.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nuclear-capable orbiting spacecraft.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, no, no... Flamethrowers are justified, but nukes will only result in a breed of Godzilla-sized wasps. And nobody wants that.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I recently hit a nest if yellow jackets with 30% premerathin. They just wriggled to the ground and died painfully.

Go get some of that stuff!!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You might try this...just make sure your surviver knows how to post on the forum to let us know how it went Wink...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Looks like a nest with a about a million asshole wasps inside?

Lol

I've mentioned this before, but spray the nest with mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, starting fluid, gasoline, brake cleaner etc. These chemicals will kill them so fast theyare frozen in place.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that were mine, the nest would be doused inside and out with a high concentration of malathion or something equally as effective. At night, when they're all at home enjoying a relaxing night so you have a better shot at taking out the community of them.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they read the multiple warning labels before they put the ladder into use?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Speaking of ladder safety, this one always cracks me up.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post