SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take a look at this headline on FoxNews.com this morning. Proofread much?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a look at this headline on FoxNews.com this morning. Proofread much? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Seriously. Who does Fox News have working over there? Educated recently in one of today's Universities no doubt. What a joke... Roll Eyes

American Airlines flight forced to land after electrical order is detected

Published May 19, 2017 Associated Press
Facebook

MORRISVILLE, N.C. – An American Airlines flight has made an unscheduled landing at a North Carolina airport after a strong electrical odor was detected on board.

Spokeswoman Katie Cody said Flight 1889 from Charlotte to Hartford, Connecticut, was diverted to Raleigh-Durham International Airport, where it landed safely at 5:01 p.m. Friday.

Cody said three crewmembers were taken to the hospital as a precaution. She said a maintenance crew is evaluating the Airbus 320.

A statement from Raleigh-Durham said six others on the flight were checked out by medical responders, but declined to go to the hospital.

Another American flight diverted on its way to Charlotte. Flight 1866 from Providence, Rhode Island, to Charlotte, reported an engine-related issue en route and diverted to Hartford. No one was hurt.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...der-is-detected.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Our local media is just a bad in Baton Rouge.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Umm, it's AP, not Fox News, who did the article, if you had paid close attention. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Umm, it's AP, not Fox News, who did the article, if you had paid close attention. Wink

It's a fair point. But do a Google search and FoxNews is the only website with that illiterate headline.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm just messing with you.

But I agree, who are these people who are supposed to be well educated? I mean, the damn title doesn't even make sense, as written. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I understand mistakes happen, even ones like this where you're writing and thinking fast and you write out the word the way it sounds in your mind.

What I don't get is how something like that gets past the proofreaders and makes it to "print." It confounds me.

Anyway, I was just browsing the day's news as I was having my morning baguette and coffee with the in-laws, and that headline just made me shake my head.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Headline typist made a typo and the spell checker put in the word it "thought" was intended. No one caught it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's not as if this is a unique occurrence, though. I see spelling mistakes in published material all the time.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It's not as if this is a unique occurrence, though. I see spelling mistakes in published material all the time.

Hardly a spelling mistake.

And it's the headline of the story.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years ago when first established, MSNBC was based in my town. I ran into many of them. the typical "snowflake" long before that term was in general use, they could barely find their way to work. They whined if they were forced to divert from their normal route due to some incident and thought the world revolved around them.

For a group that claims to support rights, they were the biggest offenders of handicap parking violations. When tagged (which I enjoyed doing) they cried like babies.

So I have no doubt those sending out these articles are any better. Most are probably per diem low paid students like all the rest.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
No one in the media proofreads anything today.

They depend entirely on "Spell Check."

"Spell check" only checks the spelling of a word, it has no way of knowing if it's the correct word.

The newspapers are just as bad as the broadcast media.

Sadly, not that long ago the newspapers were extremely diligent about spelling and grammar.

I blame it on the dumbing down of our education system.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The proofreader was fired for textual harassment.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The media in Austin makes dirt look intelligent.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Front page of my local weekly fish wrap this week was an article about an officer being assaulted during a traffic stop. It was the top story in big bold font and they spelled "assaulted" as "assulted".
Roll Eyes

Kind of makes you wonder if anyone proofreads.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
what does electricity smell like anyway?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
what does electricity smell like anyway?

If you have smelled it you know. Ozone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Edgumacated? Who needs that!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Hardly a spelling mistake.

And it's the headline of the story.

Is the word misspelled? Then it's a spelling mistake. Doesn't matter where in the article it occurs. A typo is a typo.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever met an employed Newspaper Editor? It is sad. Of course there are some left in print journalism field. I have not found these sorts of errors in the Wall Street Journal or Time magazine as yet.

My nephew edits for nuclear science publications, so I know there is still a need. The average American is pretty ignorant so they probably never notice this sort of thing.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Look, the story was filed with Fox with a smartphone. Autocorrect struck again.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post