SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump's Cuba Policy: 10 Things You Need To Know
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump's Cuba Policy: 10 Things You Need To Know Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Katie Pavlich
June 16, 2017

President Donald Trump officially rescinded major parts of President Obama's "normalization of relations" with the Cuban regime Friday afternoon from Miami while keeping the door open for the government to submit a better deal for the Cuban people.

Here are ten things you need to know about the new policy.

1) The U.S. Embassy in Havana will remain open

2) The Wet-Foot, Dry-Foot policy will not be reinstated after being ended under the Obama administration

3) The U.S. is open to the Cuban government submitting another deal, which will be scrutinized on a number of conditions

4) Cuba must take concrete steps toward open and Democratic elections for a deal to be made

5) Lifting of sanctions on the regime will only happen when political prisoners and dissidents are permanently released

6) Cuban workers must receive direct paychecks from businesses instead of being forced to route payments through the government

7) Travel for non-academic educational purposes by U.S. persons will be limited to group travel. Individual travel by U.S. persons to the country is no longer allowed.

8) Cuban-Americans are allowed to visit family in Cuba and can legally send monetary resources

9) Allows Americans to do business with private small businesses in the country, not the government. From the White House:

The new policy channels economic activities away from the Cuban military monopoly, Grupo de Administración Empresarial (GAESA), including most travel-related transactions, while allowing American individuals and entities to develop economic ties to the private, small business sector in Cuba. The new policy makes clear that the primary obstacle to the Cuban people’s prosperity and economic freedom is the Cuban military’s practice of controlling virtually every profitable sector of the economy. President Trump’s policy changes will encourage American commerce with free Cuban businesses and pressure the Cuban government to allow the Cuban people to expand the private sector.

10) The economic embargo has been reinstated (you can still legally buy Cuban rum and cigars)

The new policy will be implemented in 30-days after the Treasury Department sets up and reviews the new regulations.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Darn, and I was so looking forward to deciding on not going to Cuba.

Though there was a Cuban restaurant in LA called Versailles, that served a great lemon/garlic chicken. Hmmm

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed on general principles or broad strokes to eventually normalizing relations with Cuba, but to do it while any Castros are still breathing is pointless.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
So according to # 7 I can't visit ??? My Government is restricting my Travel decisions???? What do they do if I go thru Canada or Mexico??

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
6) Cuban workers must receive direct paychecks from businesses instead of being forced to route payments through the government

Versus how we do it here where the name on the check is from the business but the government has been there first to take their fistful?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
So according to # 7 I can't visit ??? My Government is restricting my Travel decisions???? What do they do if I go thru Canada or Mexico??

Impose harsh fines for violating the embargo/travel restriction, if they find out/care. Same thing they've had in the quiver o' arrows for over 50 years.

Posts: 2458 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Still pretty weak. They can sell us rum and cigars, individuals can still send money to individuals in Cuba and U.S. businesses can do business with Cuban 'small' businesses. Meanwhile the Castros still control the banks in Cuba. Americans still get Cuban rum and cigars. U.S. funds still flow into the Cuban economy. I'm sure the Castros will be forced to straighten up their act real soon.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Regarding #6 paychecks, why? Our payments must go through our government?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Regarding #6 paychecks, why? Our payments must go through our government?

The only paycheck I ever received that 'went thru the government' was when I was in the military. None of my private employers pay the government for my labor.

In Cuba:
quote:
Because the Cuban state has owned almost every enterprise on the island, it has been nearly the sole employer. Even foreign companies that operate in Cuba are required to pay Cuban workers' salaries in dollars to a state organization called CUBALSE (Cubans at the Service of Foreigners). The Cuban state then pays its workers in pesos, at a rate that shortchanges the employee.

http://www.nationsencyclopedia...S.html#ixzz4kGfXUt8i

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ I think he's talking about withholding.

quote:
10) The economic embargo has been reinstated (you can still legally buy Cuban rum and cigars)

So, cane sugar is out (unless it's mollassasized, distilled and bottled)? The oil reserves haven't been developed yet, we don't need their doctors and engineers, and there are only so many neato cars (and parts) from the 1950s. What exactly are they supposed to sell us? Short stories and the occasional ballad?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people are idiots,(rich actors,singers,etc.), and don't understand the Castro's are the ones who make out with tourist dollars. I have many Cuban friends who wouldn't even go to Cuba themselves,even though they are American citizens. Some have family there still and you hear many sad stories of how they are manipulated by the government. I don't advocate violence against anyone but the Castro family need to be dealt with like Kim in North Korea. Evil leaders controlling the people.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^^ I think he's talking about withholding.

Yes. Our government has their cut taken out first then we get our pay.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I and my family came to the US from Cuba in 1968. The reason .... FREEDOM!

The reason we left Cuba, is still there.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank You President Trump!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post