SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Pulling out of anti-Israel UNESCO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Pulling out of anti-Israel UNESCO Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
It's a start. Go ahead and pull out of the UN altogether!

http://www.politico.com/story/...hdraws-unesco-243708

Citing anti-Israel bias, U.S. to withdraw from UNESCO

The United States will withdraw from UNESCO, the United Nations agency focused on education, science and culture, at the end of next year, State Department Spokeswoman Heather Nauert announced in a statement Thursday morning.

“This decision was not taken lightly, and reflects U.S. concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO,” Nauert said in her statement.

Although the U.S. played a role in UNESCO’s founding following World War II, it has not always been a member. Former President Ronald Reagan pulled the U.S. from the Paris-based organization in 1984 over complaints that UNESCO had a pro-Soviet Union, anti-Western bias. Former President George W. Bush brought the U.S. back into the organization in 2002.

Under the administration of former President Barack Obama, the U.S. cut its funding for UNESCO dramatically in 2011, reducing U.S. contributions by 22 percent in response to the organization’s move to admit Palestine as a member. Those funding cuts have put the U.S. in arrears on its dues to the organization by more than $500 million, according to a Foreign Policy report published Wednesday.

More problematic, though, have been actions by UNESCO perceived as anti-Israel. Last year, Reuters reported that a UNESCO resolution characterizing to Jerusalem’s Dome of the Rock – a site referred to by Jews as the Temple Mount – as only a “Muslim holy site” prompted Israel to recall its ambassador to the organization.

Israel further suspended ties with UNESCO last summer, The Atlantic reported, following the organizations declaration that of a portion of the West Bank city of Hebron as a Palestinian World Heritage Site, a step Israel complained did not acknowledge Jewish connections to holy sites there.

Nauert said Thursday that the U.S. will remain part of UNESCO until its withdrawal is official on Dec. 31, 2018, after which it will intend to remain involved with the organization as an observer state.

“The United States indicated to the Director General its desire to remain engaged with UNESCO as a non-member observer state in order to contribute U.S. views, perspectives and expertise on some of the important issues undertaken by the organization,” Nauert said. “Including the protection of world heritage, advocating for press freedoms, and promoting scientific collaboration and education.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
It's a start. First, UNESCO, then the UN.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good

Canadians are going to have a shit-fit over this - just watch Smile

they're functionally clueless, yet they think they have brilliant insight into our country...

UNESCO has been a money pit for years

another win for the Trump team

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the surface I can appreciate what UNESCO does, however, like many other UN programs, get below the surface and they're infested with career do-gooders, protected by layers of bureaucracy, while pushing nefarious agendas or, playing social engineering games.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
It's a start. First, UNESCO, then the UN.

If I read correctly, the US is going to pull out at the end of NEXT YEAR.

What the hell is the hold up?

Pull out effective NOW!

We do not need to continue to support that anti-US bunch!

Spend the money in a more useful manner, like pouring it down the drain.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While we are at it why is the PA still paying terrorists locked up in Israeli jails for killing Israelis and tourists with OUR tax money? Thought the Senate passed a measure to stop that. I seam to recall one Who killed a visiting American, former grad of the USMA. Abbas said he would keep paying them as long as the Americans would keep giving money to the PA.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Anything that has anything to do with the UN is anti-US. Good.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I celebrate this

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Trump administration just keeps chipping away......one win at a time!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good news indeed. There are many reasons to leave UNESCO. I'm guessing that Ivanka isn't all that happy about it though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Anything that has anything to do with the UN is anti-US. Good.

I would like to see the UN accounting records to see just how much money goes to overhead and how much goes to provide a meaningful benefit.

Seems the claim is that the UN Charter was patterned after the US Constitution. However a Constitutional Scholar pointed out that the Constitution divides and separates power, keeps power close to the people. The UN Charter concentrates power in the hands of a few, and keeps that power away from the people.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canadians are going to have a shit-fit over this - just watch

Good.

I love seeing them get upset. I couldn't care less what the idiots in canada riding our coat tails think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Good news! It's certainly a start.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Great idea, we don't need them. Why stick around when all they do is criticize and then want a handout.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Israel is pulling out of UNESCO, December 31, 2017.

Happy New Year! (goyishe style)

https://www.israelnationalnews...ews/News.aspx/240014

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Good. Now pull out of the UN and kick their butts out of the US. Rent the building out to business. Use the money to build the wall.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29609 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
. . .Canadians are going to have a shit-fit over this - just watch Smile. . .

Nhtagmember, please explain why? Seriously, no sarcasm or snark intended. I don't understand.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Good. Now pull out of the UN and kick their butts out of the US. Rent the building out to business. Use the money to build the wall.

I like your thinking!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I like your thinking!

Me too!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post