SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you buy stocks on your own?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you buy stocks on your own? Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
If you've never done it before?

I have a few grand I could stand to risk at the moment and it seems like now, or soon, is going to be a good time to jump in.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Seems like here is popular
https://robinhood.com/us/en/

So popular they have had a number of outages have occurred with the app

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25458 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have an account with TD Ameritrade. I've had this for probably 15 years and they have always been fair. I get my advice from the Motley Fool. I believe trades are free now with TDA and they will link to your bank account to transfer money back and forth.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Schwab and Fidelity are good choices. No fees, no minimum balance and no trading commissions. Both can be linked to your bank account. Fidelity lets you lock your account against withdrawals. Schwab has several rating services for each stock, although the Schwab rating itself doesn't have a clear and concise explanation.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also am with TD Ameritrade, since they bought out Scottrade. I have no complaints. I believe that they just got bought out by someone else, but I can't remember who.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Both Schwab and Fidelity are good choices. No fees, no minimum balance and no trading commissions. Both can be linked to your bank account. Fidelity lets you lock your account against withdrawals. Schwab has several rating services for each stock, although the Schwab rating itself doesn't have a clear and concise explanation.

Vanguard also.

Open an account and begin long term methodical investing for the future.

I would skip Robinhood.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with a financial planner my family has used for several years.

My mother and father used him and when I started managing their finances, I started working with him.

Over the years, I moved all my accounts over, then my sister and then brother did.

My parents are gone now but Hank is still doing a great job with our assets.

Posts: 1079 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open an account at a broker. Pick one you like. add money and trade. I like fidelity, but it matters not. Just don't pick one with ongoing fees or advise.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11021 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've been with TD Ameritrade since they were TD Waterhouse and they tore up the full service brokerage $$$ playhouse with their $39 telephone trades back in mid 1990s.

TDA is a fine brokerage with a wealth of info on their site. Also commission free basic buy/sell trading.

Posts: 4707 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i do not believe you can buy individual stocks using Vanguard.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I would have said the same thing, but apparently you can now buy individual stocks at Vanguard (originally a mutual fund company).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16402 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Seems like here is popular
https://robinhood.com/us/en/

So popular they have had a number of outages have occurred with the app

Yea, if you want to trade on heavy volume days, need not apply.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

yes you can -- they have brokerage account services available

https://investor.vanguard.com/...ting/online-trading/

but you need to set the account up as a brokerage account not a simple mutual fund account

plus they recently went to $0 commission on stock transactions

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Firstrade.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers, but some of you guys might as well be speaking a foreign language.

I'll need to do some more research I think.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
P, check this out:

https://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/stocks.aspx

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38734 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Youinvest by JPMorgan Chase is what I use. Basic trades are free, the platform is simple to use and if you have other accounts with them you can move money between accounts seamlessly. Like you, I'm not a day trader or anything but I like to dabble in it when I see opportunities. This is a simple way to do it.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been buying and selling stocks and bonds for 30 years now for my 401K all thru Fidelity. I'm just an average guy with an interest in the market. You don't need a broker.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5059 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Yes you can, as I have a brokerage account with Vanguard.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can walk into a Schwab office with your checkbook and start an account. Then sign up for one line trading on your computer at home. They have a bunch of educational videos to answer any specific questions.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post