New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exotic fruit Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I saw this in a local store a few days ago. I think the pod people have landed.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had about half. IMO, if they really wanted to be exotic they should be selling durian.

I haven't had durian, but I hear bad things.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've had all of those, and durian as well.

I'm glad those exotic fruits are getting easier to find--jackfruit and dragon fruit was particularly hard for my mom to find growing up.

We have a lot of Asian supermarkets around here, so that stuff is readily available and a regular part of my diet still.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

It's actually very good. Sweet and creamy, with hints of savory.

The smell is strong, and off putting to a lot of people, but it's not a particularly "bad" smell. It's just very distinct and very strong.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10485 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I've had most of those... not the jack fruit. I like star fruit and the kiwano, but I've yet to have a good dragon fruit. Maybe I've always had bad samples but they have always been gross.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You will find most of that in Lottes Plaza.
http://www.lotteplaza.com/locations/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ah, thought this was gonna be about Elton John...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've had all of those except jackfruit. I like all of them.

I have had breadfruit, a close relative of jackfruit. I was vacationing in Hawaii and pulled one off a tree and took it back to the hotel and cooked it. It's interesting stuff, I liked it. Preparing it is kind of a mess because when you cut the fruit it bleeds a lot of latex sap that is incredibly tenacious if you let it dry on anything.

quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I've yet to have a good dragon fruit. Maybe I've always had bad samples but they have always been gross.

I've only had dragonfruit/pitaya a couple of times, but I liked it. It's reminds me of a milder kiwi. Not a ton of flavor but it's a little sweet and has an interesting texture. Maybe keep trying?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lucky. I wish I could get decent fruit around here, let alone exotics.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
None of them fruits are exotic. Smile
You know what's exotic, where I came from? Apples, peaches, pears, grapes. Eek

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
None of them fruits are exotic. Smile
You know what's exotic, where I came from? Apples, peaches, pears, grapes. Eek

It always comes back to perspective! Excellent point!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

Once we get settled in Texas,

the Wife will be growing the Garden she always wanted.

I will be growing various different kinds of Dragon Fruit,

Pink lemons, avocados, persimmons, watermelons and a few others.

Also hoping we have a few Axis deer and a Few hogs to harvest.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I just got a Meyer Lemon for the patio. There are a lot of things you can grow in pots and move into the garage during the winter if you do not live in a climate for them to survive outdoors.

Charles Malki, a biologist and plant expert living in LA, has a lot of good videos on different varieties, how to grow them, etc.

Here is one of his videos on lemons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AbC02ij2gY

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Heck, some days I'd be happy to find a decent apple that wasn't a damn Red Delicious or one of its derivatives.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Heck, some days I'd be happy to find a decent apple that wasn't a damn Red Delicious or one of its derivatives.

As far as the health benefits of specific types of apples are concerned, a 2005 Canadian study ranked Red Delicious, Northern Spy and Ida Red as highest in antioxidants and reported that polyphenols, the major antioxidants in apples, are five times more prevalent in apple skin than in the flesh. Note, however, that while Northern Spy apples have fewer polyphenols in the skin than Red Delicious, they have twice as many in their flesh. The study was published in the June 29, 2005, issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry.

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nu...he-healthiest-apple/

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not fruit, but cool looking and yummy. Plus you get a math lesson as a bonus.

Romanesco broccoli

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
My favorite is the honeycrisp (Macoun and a Honeygold) and the braeburn (Lady Hamilton and Granny Smith) is very good too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Eat more 'ulu" was the sticker on our van in Hawaii. 'Ulu is breadfruit, that's the big monster in the middle of the photo. However has to be cooked.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

It's actually very good. Sweet and creamy, with hints of savory.

The smell is strong, and off putting to a lot of people, but it's not a particularly "bad" smell. It's just very distinct and very strong.

"Strong" is an interesting interpretation of the smell of ripe durian. I salute your olfactory analgesia....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post