SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun store robbery thieves use concrete truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun store robbery thieves use concrete truck Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Somebody has been watching Heat.

https://kdvr.com/2018/12/04/ce...t-lakewood-gun-shop/

[video embedded in linked article]

Suspects use concrete truck in smash-and-grab at Lakewood gun store

POSTED 5:53 AM, DECEMBER 4, 2018, BY CHUCK HICKEY AND EVAN KRUEGEL, UPDATED AT 07:38PM, DECEMBER 4, 2018

LAKEWOOD, Colo. -- A stolen concrete truck was used by two suspects in a smash-and-grab burglary at a gun shop early Tuesday morning, the Lakewood Police Department said.

The burglary happened about 4:20 a.m. at Green Mountain Guns at 3355 S. Yarrow St., not far from West Hampden Avenue and South Wadsworth Boulevard.

Police said the concrete truck was stolen out of Arvada by two suspects wearing jackets, hoodies, gloves and masks.

They then drove to Lakewood and tied a cable to the front of the truck, then attached the other end to the front doors, backing up and ripping them off.

"We're concerned because now we have a few guns on the street in the hands of criminals," police spokesman Mark Reeves said.

Police did not release any suspect descriptions but believe a getaway vehicle was used. Police have not heard from any witnesses and did not have a description of the vehicle.

In June 2017, Green Mountain Guns was hit in an attempted smash-and-grab burglary. Suspects tried to ram a stolen Jeep into the store but were stopped by metal posts in front.

After that attempt, the store owners put two concrete barriers in front to deter burglary attempts.

The owner of the gun store said he's already looking into how he could add even more security.

"We have some ideas because we're not the only ones this has happened to," Mike Cook said. "In our case, it did take a cement truck to breach the perimeter."

Attempts were made over the summer by suspects to get into the store but they failed. This is the first successful burglary at the store.

Police are asking if anyone who might have seen the truck driving around in the middle of the night to call them.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
In this day and age, any shop that doesn’t have a way to secure its inventory out of sight is asking for trouble. Even a locked room would be better than having firearms in plain sight after hours. Yes, it’s a pain in the ass to move the guns every day, but the prospect of an easy score like this goes down markedly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
In this day and age, any shop that doesn’t have a way to secure its inventory out of sight is asking for trouble. Even a locked room would be better than having firearms in plain sight after hours. Yes, it’s a pain in the ass to move the guns every day, but the prospect of an easy score like this goes down markedly.

I’ve talked to a few owners of some shops around me about this, (the same few stores around here get robbed all the time) and all 3 of them said they just claim insurance on it. Isn’t worth the Trouble/expense to them.. what kills me is they are the ones who get robbed all of the time for a reason.. there are other shops in the area with proper security that have never been hit. Hell one of these shops has been robbed almost yearly since it opened and there is another 2 large shops 5 min away that’s never had an issue.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The proposed 2019 Legislative Concepts for the “Cease Fire” movement in Colorado includes (among many other things) the requirement for dealers to lock up merchandise after hours. If passed, the time and labor involved will be a major burden for most dealers, not to mention the expense of having that many safes or a large vault room. It will, I suspect, result in the closing of many businesses, and of course that would be a bonus benefit for the antigun crowd.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I frequent that shop and knew the previous owner very well, you would of needed something big to bust thru the cement pillars they installed after the earlier attempt. Unfortunately it’s happened to many shops in the area including Cabelas and Bass Pro

Posts: 2302 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The proposed 2019 Legislative Concepts for the “Cease Fire” movement in Colorado includes (among many other things) the requirement for dealers to lock up merchandise after hours. If passed, the time and labor involved will be a major burden for most dealers, not to mention the expense of having that many safes or a large vault room. It will, I suspect, result in the closing of many businesses, and of course that would be a bonus benefit for the antigun crowd.

If I owned a gun shop, a few thousand dollars would be well worth the piece of mind knowing that both my stock was protected, and that guns stolen wouldn’t end up used in crimes. Something like 3 of these could handle most of the gun stores I’ve been in.

https://www.google.com/shoppin...uq1kKHSrrDvMQgjYI1gQ

They could easily be modded internally to accommodate a huge number of long guns or pistols. Hell, a welded wall length steel cabinet would do the trick as long as a quality alarm system with multiple audible horns were incorporated.

That or a cinderblock saferoom with a safe door like this installed. I actually have a buddy that did this in his home, and all it took was a cement filled block wall and secure installation of the vault style door. He owns about 200 or so firearms, about half of which are long guns, and has tons of room to spare in a space no larger than an epaverage sized bathroom.

https://www.google.com/shoppin...uq1kKHSrrDvMQgTYIzQQ

The storage option wouldn’t have to be bombproof, only be enough of a hindrance that that the time to make entry would be too risky for thieves to attempt.

There is simply no excuse for leaving easily carried off firearms on racks or under glass. If a four or five grand investment can’t be made, how well could the business actually be doing in the first place?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a rash of 3AM smash & grabs at gunshops here in Western WA last winter. One shop had some custom display cabinets that were secured at night. At the link is a video of the shop & cabinets. The shop has since added the steel posts at the doors. The perps were caught last spring. IIRC they were implicated in about 5 such thefts.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/nor...ting-range/695351203

BURLINGTON, Wash. - Police in Burlington are looking for suspects who intentionally rammed a car into a gun range in a failed burglary.

Burlington officers were called to the Skagit Shooting Range on Bouslog Road at about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. Officers said the suspects drove what they described as a smaller, four-door car through the glass doors to get into the building.

KIRO 7 obtained surveillance video from the gun shop.

In it, you can see a white car back in and ram into the glass door, taking off the door and the frame. As the car lurches forward, a man in a mask runs into the shop, followed by a second man and then a third. They're in the store for only a few seconds before they turn around and run, almost getting hit by the white car on their way out.

“They were equipped with buckets, baskets, bolt cutters and hammers,” said owner Brent Straight. “So, it was going to be a smash-and-grab.”

Straight is thankful that the only thing he has to replace break-in is his front door.

“They got nothing. Not a thing,” he said.

Straight thinks the criminals were spooked by the alarm and the armored rolltop cases he locks the guns up in every night.

A different camera angle shows the first suspect run to the display and immediately turn around. The car even backs into the cabinet.

“The gun cabinets did their job,” Straight said. “We spent a lot of money for those cabinets. They did their job.”

A camera on the outside of the building shows there were two cars involved in the break-in: the white car used to crash into the front door and a darker-colored car from which you can see the men getting out, holding on to their buckets and baskets.

Straight has this message for the crooks.

“No guns for bad guys,” Straight said.

The white car used in the break-in was found abandoned not too far away from the gun shop, and the white car used in the break-in was found abandoned not too far away from the gun shop.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This just in from the Department of Redundancy Department:

quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
The white car used in the break-in was found abandoned not too far away from the gun shop, and the white car used in the break-in was found abandoned not too far away from the gun shop.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
My favorite LGS, now closed due to retirement, was housed in a former bank building, complete with vault.
All the handguns were in rolling display cases, and wheeled into the vault at night.
I don't recall how the long guns were secured.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
The proposed 2019 Legislative Concepts for the “Cease Fire” movement in Colorado includes (among many other things) the requirement for dealers to [b[]lock up merchandise after hours.[/b]

The jerk in me says, "I lock the doors when I leave the shop. Thus, the merchandise is locked up." Don't put the blame on me for someone else breaking in to my shop and taking my goods. I'm not the crook here.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had heard of the group but, until you mentioned this, I had never taken the time to check them out. In addition to the gun store burdens you mentioned, I see that they are looking at ways to remove guns from the eldery, supposedly with dementia.

We have our work cut out for us next year.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My favorite LGS has steel bollards which I doubt would stop a concrete truck, but at least they would only get accessories. This is because the owner puts all of the handguns in bins separated by cloths every night into the safes and puts them back out every morning.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
My favorite LGS, now closed due to retirement, was housed in a former bank building, complete with vault.
All the handguns were in rolling display cases, and wheeled into the vault at night.
I don't recall how the long guns were secured.

We have a local gun store located in a building that was originally built as a bank, that still has the vault. Obviously access to the bank vault is limited to employees and so I can't be certain, but given the hundreds, if not thousands, of guns and NFA gear in the store, I don't see how it would be possible to place it all in the vault based on size alone...to say nothing of the time, labor, and cost that it would take to do this twice a day.

The drive-through has been bricked up.

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd like to know how they expect places like 5280 to lock up all their guns. They reportedly have an inventory of over 4000 guns. Even if they had a large enough vault, it would be a logistic impossibility. Assuming they had 10 employees at closing, that would mean each one would have to transfer 400 guns each into the vault.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

I'd like to know how they expect places like 5280 to lock up all their guns. They reportedly have an inventory of over 4000 guns. Even if they had a large enough vault, it would be a logistic impossibility. Assuming they had 10 employees at closing, that would mean each one would have to transfer 400 guns each into the vault.

Then the answer is to either hire an armed security guard, bunkerize the structure to that it meets the needs of a “safe”, or both.

I agree that shithole states are actively trying to run gun shops out of business, but if they wish to remain viable, they’ll have to comply or relocate. Leaving guns on easily accessed racks is no longer a viable option- it makes them targets and will fuel the anti’s drive to remove our rights when stolen guns hit the streets.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, not really practical for some shops. One of my local shops has an inventory in the hundreds, another likely over a thousand. The buildings are hardened, but "vaulting" or putting the stuff in safes would increase the retail price of the guns my a hefty percentage. But, everyone is an expert. And they bitch when the prices rise.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post