SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Western-Style Rigs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western-Style Rigs? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I may be getting my hands on a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in 45LC/45ACP, 5½ bbl. God willin' and the creek don't rise Smile

My thinking is a six-gun like that needs proper leather. Thing is: I want something that's "traditional," but, also both practical and comfortable to wear.

First question: Some have significant holster drop and others where the holster rides higher.

Examples (both from Cochise Leather):

This is one of their Buscadero style offerings:

This is a Halfbreed style popularized by John Wayne (it's called "The Duke"):

Now, considering these rigs are worn thusly (image again from Cochise):

I'm thinking a dropped holster rig would leave the holster riding pretty darn low on the leg. Maybe great for that quick draw in a gun fight at high noon on main street, but, maybe not so comfortable to generally wear about?

Just looking for some experiences from any who've actually carried a six gun that way for practical purposes.

Just for the holster pr0n of it: I love this rig (by Purdy Gear), but, I'm guessin' it'd set me back somewhere in the range of $500-$700, and that ain't happenin'

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A cross draw holster will generally be more comfortable when you are seated in a vehicle, FWIW. If you'd like an actual traditional holster pattern instead of a TV and movie rig, consider the holsters made by El Paso Saddlery:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-9-holsters.aspx

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
My thinking is a six-gun like that needs proper leather.

agree!!!

Despite my own initial desires on the low slung style, I found in about 15 years of SASS matches I much preferred the hip level/belt slide style with minimal drop.

Also favored the shoulder holster for 3-4" cowboy SAA pistols. Preferred strong side 4" rig for wood hikes. Grew to not use the multiple-bullets, maybe "6", but came to prefer pouch for such. YMMV.

You will find what you like with a little more hands on.

Thanks for the handsome examples.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A cross draw holster will generally be more comfortable when you are seated in a vehicle, FWIW.

I'm not generally fond of cross draw. I don't even like it in a shoulder rig, but, that's the only way for that.

quote:
If you'd like an actual traditional holster pattern instead of a TV and movie rig, consider the holsters made by El Paso Saddlery:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-9-holsters.aspx

I'll check them out. Thanks!

I realize much of what I'm looking at are "Hollywood" patterns, but, aren't those, most of them, anyway, at least roughly based on the Real Deal?

The most important thing, in the end, is how it wears/carries/works. I cannot describe just what I'm looking for, but, I think I'll know it when I see it. Maybe Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Most of the holsters made and used in the old west carried the gun deeper in the holster (triggerguard enclosed in the holster) than the movie type "buscadero" rigs. Cowboys didn't want to risk losing their sidearm from a holster that held the gun so precariously.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the holsters made and used in the old west carried the gun deeper in the holster (triggerguard enclosed in the holster) than the movie type "buscadero" rigs. Cowboys didn't want to risk losing their sidearm from a holster that held the gun so precariously.

I wondered about that.

Something more like EPS' #44 I imagine.

That's also a half-breed style (which is what I've generally been gravitating toward), but, carries the gun more deeply than most I've seen.

Still: "The half-breed style holster and rough out moneybelt we made for John Wayne for use in the 1976 movie, The Shootist." Smile

In fact they have one called "The Shootist," that is nearly identical, except the gun sits more shallowly in the holster.

I think I like that a bit more, but, I'm not so sure about a suede belt. Doesn't matter. They don't make it for the Blackhawk, anyway.

I enquired of that Purdy holster I really like. They already answered. I was right: Too rich for my blood: $585 to $660 for that rig. Yikes It's probably worth every penny, but, I don't have that kind of money.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I don't have any connection to this maker. Pretty dang good deal.

Two of our new shooters found this great guy for SASS Rigs. I don’t know the guy, but I looked at the work and it is pretty good. Especially for a starter rig.

The link below takes to to photos of their holster sets made by Johnny Cross Draw in Spokane, Washington. Each set contains 1). the gun belt with three holsters (right, left and cross draw) with ammo slots, 2). an ammo belt for the shotgun shells and some rounds, 3). 2 drawstring brass bags, and 4). 2 leather ammo loading strips.

The brown set is the basic set and comes with all the above for $160 plus about $13-$14 for shipping. Everything is shipped in a box from the Post Office and while the packing is not terrific, it all arrives in great shape. The black set is an upgraded version since Peggysue wanted some conchos on her set. Johnny made the black set with all the same items in the set for $190 plus the same $13-$14 shipping. The first photo shows the entire set but only 1 of the ammo blocks since Peggysue put her two together, but you do get two of them. The rest of the photos are individual views of the various pieces. He makes these sets in 3 colors - Black, Brown and Natural.

He takes about 7-10 days to make the set once the payment is received and his communication is generally pretty good. I initially found him on Ebay, but since he donates the proceeds to charity, I bought the second set directly from him via email at johnnycrossdraw@msn.com. If someone contacts him via email, he will respond and get details such as waist size, color preference, ammo size, and type of pistols so him can custom fit the holsters. We treated each of our sets with saddle soap when we got them to ease the leather and make it easier to draw.

http://s280.photobucket.com/us...ohnny%20Cross%20Draw

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
For Cowboy competition, I prefer a rig where the holsters can move on the belt. That way I can slide the holsters where I need them, and can slide them out of the way when I don't want/need them. I find a forward "cant" to the holster quickens draw. YMMV. I also prefer a "lined" holster. A lined holster is 2 layers of leather. The rough side is sewn to the rough side. So you have smoother leather inside and out. Makes the draw much smoother.

I also don't bother with belt loops. Just a couple of rounds on my shotgun belt are plenty.

I also have a large "dump pouch" for my empties and shotgun hulls.

This rig has a custom "Screw knife" and the lip has "rawhide" that is sewn to the leather wet. When it dries, it is like steel!3

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of El Paso Saddlery rigs. FWIW, mounting the holster on the belt (rather than with a drop-down arrangement) does seat the gun high on your hip but not terribly high. I've always found the draw to be perfectly comfortable.

If you'd like something that puts the pistol deeper into the holster, take a look at El Paso's "John Wesley Hardin" setup. You can get them without the cartridge loops if you call them up and ask them.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Something more like EPS' #44 I imagine.

That's also a half-breed style (which is what I've generally been gravitating toward), but, carries the gun more deeply than most I've seen.

Still: "The half-breed style holster and rough out moneybelt we made for John Wayne for use in the 1976 movie, The Shootist." Smile

In fact they have one called "The Shootist," that is nearly identical, except the gun sits more shallowly in the holster.

I think I like that a bit more, but, I'm not so sure about a suede belt. Doesn't matter. They don't make it for the Blackhawk, anyway.

I enquired of that Purdy holster I really like. They already answered. I was right: Too rich for my blood: $585 to $660 for that rig. Yikes It's probably worth every penny, but, I don't have that kind of money.

I hsve the El Paso Saddlery Duke rig for my Colts. Those are really fine quality holsters and the Duke rig is comfortable to wear.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
another consideration is 'floppy' vs 'harder shell' style holster....

My own first big $ double holster rig was historically accurate copy by a famous long-resident Montana leather co....and it was gorgeous.....however the 'floppy leather' style holster was inconvenient to re=holster the pistol rapidly or precisely. Sometimes it was too flat without wrasslin' with it.

A thinner-harder shell leather holster can be custom built in any style you want. Local SASS clubs usually have good connections with such skilled vendors.

There is a host of high grade old time shops out there and choosing what you want is a delightful way to spend a few $.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's my outlaw rig.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
FWIW, El Paso's "Wes Hardin" is a lined holster, available made for the Blackhawk and it isn't floppy. At least those I've seen aren't. The holster mounted cartridge loops are handy, too.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wow that is some gorgeous stuff!

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I don't have any connection to this maker. Pretty dang good deal.

Thanks, Rolan. Not to my taste, but, thanks nonetheless.

(When did Photobucket become so annoying?)

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I hsve the El Paso Saddlery Duke rig for my Colts. Those are really fine quality holsters and the Duke rig is comfortable to wear.

By "Duke rig" do you mean "The Shootist," that I'd pictured?

Unfortunately they don't make that for Blackhawks, otherwise I might be inclined to call 'em up and ask 'em if they could make me a single "The Shootist" holster and put it on the #44 belt.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Mernickle or Kirkpatrick Leather makes some nice looking stuff, I've not used either though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Paso Saddlery #44
Thats what I packed a Vaquero in for years.
Who can argue with the Duke?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the holsters that were used in West World, but haven't been able to identify them.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Mernickle or Kirkpatrick Leather makes some nice looking stuff, I've not used either though.

Thanks for the references, Riley. Looked them both over. I think I'm liking this one, from Mernickle:

Excerpt from description:

quote:

The rig was designed to look like it was made in the 1800's but designed to address today's shooters needs...

Looks functional. And it's a good looking rig, but, not so good looking you'd be afraid to actually, you know, use it--for fear of damaging its pretty looks.

Price is right, too. I think this may be the winner, so far.