SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body found in lake about 3 hundred yards off my beach.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Body found in lake about 3 hundred yards off my beach. Login/Join 
Picture of sig sailor
posted
News said it looked like he killed himself. This got me thinking. He had been missing for two days, so his family had to be going crazy. Not very nice for the boater who found him. Local Police had two officers one boat and County had three boats and several officers on seen for hours, sending down divers and so on. No fun for LEO, and they could have been doing something more productive. And of course his family and friends will get to play the "what if" game for the rest of their lives. If you want to off yourself, I guess that's your call, but I wonder if these people ever think of how it is going to effect others.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just be quick about it. Write a note, as simple as "suicide" then blow your brains out. Sucks, but at least (1) they know and (2) people spend minimal time looking for your ass.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Killing yourself has to be the most irrational act a human can do. So trying to rationalize the decision and the decisions surrounding the final act is a game you can’t win.

I understand the curiosity but I think I’d be happy not understanding the mind of someone seriously suicidal.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
You make a good point, Pale Horse.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Killing yourself has to be the most irrational act a human can do. So trying to rationalize the decision and the decisions surrounding the final act is a game you can’t win.

I understand the curiosity but I think I’d be happy not understanding the mind of someone seriously suicidal.

Life is a game you can't win, nobody gets out alive. Some people just choose to punch their own ticket.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

For people who have clinical depression it is a different equation. Their pain is so great that ending their lives is often seen as the only escape. I have compassion for these people.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Killing yourself has to be the most irrational act a human can do.

Not necessarily, what if said human knows he has a terminal disease and he wants to punch his own ticket on his terms?

I would say this though, if you are going to check out, please be mindful of the responding people to your discovery. It might be your loved ones, or the EMS or Police who find you. Do it cleanly and efficiently..don't leave a big mess, leave a note so there are no questions and then gulp down a handful of pills or something non-gory.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
probably had never dealt with suicidal thoughts before.

a pile dropped on him and all he knew is he wanted out.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Hey, I used to live on the Novi side of that lake!

News reports are coming out that the victim was found with cement blocks tied to his legs. Also reported that he had made previous suicide attempts.

It was also reported that he was found near Mercer Beach, a City of Walled Lake public access site by a passing boater.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would disagree

I've been touched by suicide at least 5 times - including an ex-girlfriend

suicide means that the pain and anguish will never get worse

its their decision to determine the quality of their life versus the quantity of their life

its no different than someone who is terminally ill and suffering

different reason, same solution and same outcome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It’s clear that some of you think I’m condemning suicide or that for some reason I don’t think it’s a persons right to kill themselves or maybe that I don’t sympathize with them. You misunderstood my post if that’s what you think. It is my fault. I am not the best communicator in this world so sometimes I don't do a good job of putting my thoughts into words.

I understand having suicidal thoughts more than I hope anyone in this thread ever does. I don’t mean a loved one or some guy I knew either. I mean me. I came as close as I think anyone can come short of an actual attempt. Thankfully I got help and that’s in the past. I support the right to kill yourself and I do not think it’s selfish nor do I think that it’s as simple as being a “permanent solution to a temporary problem” as people like to suggest.

I’m not against suicide. I mean I’m not an advocate I just think it’s up to the individual. But anyone seriously contemplating it isn’t in a normal state of mind. Maybe it’s because of an illness or a quality of life issue but then I’d guess that most cases of suicide deal with quality of life, whether physical or emotional. Because of that it’s sometimes difficult to understand their decisions surrounding the event.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sig Sailor... We're not too far apart.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post