SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes an eBay sale is a really interesting and positive experience
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes an eBay sale is a really interesting and positive experience Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Cavity search them in the driveway

Yep. Start with his wife, just look at him in the eye the whole time and tell him it's "standard protocol..." Should go fine.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, you guys are tough. To the Op, glad you had a good experience so far. Not all people suck.

Ya, sounds like a good transaction.
You are doing the guy a favor and being very accommodating. I've bought many cars in Texas because they last a lot longer than they do up north where they throw tons of salt all over the place.
He will get more than a free rental. It will sell for a premium up north.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey BOY, reach way on in there and check that transmission fluid too!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Just remind him I expect my kidneys cold this time. Last time I couldn't use them.

(In reality, I hope all goes as well as you hope and that the buyer is an honest American like so many of us here seem to be. We all could use a little more Mayberry in our lives.)

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Dangit - I knew we were in trouble when he showed up with fakewife and fakeson in tow, and everyone looked like their FB photos.

Then while we stood around and visited with them for an hour, figured the rest of the crew was clearing out the parts of my house I couldn't see.

In the end they left after a little over an hour, and I got to keep my kidneys. Maybe it was because I packed a case of water, some brownies and a copy of Tombstone in the truck for their journey home.

We did offer to have them over if they were ever back in town for a game or another car, so I guess the long-con is still in play, and they are way better than me at it.

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out. Sounds like everyone's happy.
A copy of Tombstone? The western with Kurt Russell? I would have paid extra!
Also, just curious, what year and how many miles were on the SUV?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. I always enjoy meeting good people, and now you have friends in another place that you can count on!

Yay Americans!!!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Dangit - I knew we were in trouble when he showed up with fakewife and fakeson in tow, and everyone looked like their FB photos.

Then while we stood around and visited with them for an hour, figured the rest of the crew was clearing out the parts of my house I couldn't see.

In the end they left after a little over an hour, and I got to keep my kidneys. Maybe it was because I packed a case of water, some brownies and a copy of Tombstone in the truck for their journey home.

We did offer to have them over if they were ever back in town for a game or another car, so I guess the long-con is still in play, and they are way better than me at it.

Glad it worked out. No need to mock the folks on this board who were concerned for your safety / security.

May you always be so fortunate.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The cash they gave you was probably fake.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad everyone got a happy ending.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, just curious, what year and how many miles were on the SUV?

2003 Yukon XL Denali, 153K.

quote:
No need to mock the folks on this board who were concerned for your safety / security.

I assure you that's not my intent, and this thread had become more humor than serious over the past week. Or so I thought. If anybody felt they were being mocked then I apologize for that.

The initial cautions were all good and a good reminder for us all. It just so happened in this instance I had done as much homework as possible and had a pretty good feel. Hell, the buyer should always be at least as concerned as the seller since they're showing up with cash.

quote:
The cash they gave you was probably fake.
See, that's the spirit! Razz
Not the 10-15 bills I tested at random while they were here.

quote:
It's not too far-fetch to believe there are still decent people out there that you haven't met yet.

In addition to caution and care, I think Rey HRH's comment above is the best takeaway from this or any similar experience.

Also, I'm appreciative once again of the CUT that Para so graciously granted me recently.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Glad it worked out. No need to mock the folks on this board who were concerned for your safety / security.

May you always be so fortunate.

-------------------------------------

Amen.

Some of us are just a little cautious, having been burned in the past. The snark was getting a little bit thick about it from the OP.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the sarcasm.

I do.

But I've been targeted more than a couple times with scams. I see them, but trust me that plenty of people will try.

There's the...I'll send you $500 over what you're asking for and you cut a check to the shipping company. That's a favorite.

Glad it worked out for you, but if you think there are not a metric shit ton of scammers out there you're mistaken.

And yes, I've sold plenty on CL. But, usually I have at least one idiot try to scam.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
How do we know this is really Georgeair posting now?

Wink

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you'll miss a nice truck! GMC used to build the standard cab pickup as a Denali; now it is only for the stretch version.

I've also had some decent 'bay experiences. When I was selling a minivan-sized stack of leather swatches from a furniture store closing, one Medium Flat Rate Box at a time, I interacted with artisans from all over the country as they swarmed in for the choicest, largest pieces. And what were they making? Leather binding for books. Bibles and journals, mostly.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post