SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes an eBay sale is a really interesting and positive experience
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes an eBay sale is a really interesting and positive experience Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
We are selling a Yukon XL and had listed it this Friday on eBay, cars.com and CL all the same time. Priced it reasonably and started getting lots of interest immediately.

Last night I get this message via eBay:

quote:
I saw your Denali, and have re-read the ad and viewed the pics multiple times now. Nice looking truck, and well described in the listing. As it turns out, my son is on spring break the last week of this month. We really didn't know what to do for a vacation this time, so a few weeks ago, we purchased one way tix into Dallas Love Field on 03-28-17.

We had planned to spend the next day or two shopping for a nice, rust free truck to road-trip back to Wisconsin in. Maybe yours is the one for us?? Are you willing to wait until the 29th for us to purchase it?

I would be coming with cash, no checks, no games. We are very normal people, and judging from your listing, it seems that you are as well. I didn't want to make an offer before we discussed the time issue, but I had planned to offer 5k and would be willing to secure the truck with a Paypal deposit, and pay the balance in cash on the 29th. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance,

I sent him a reply with my number, he called immediately, actually caught us laughing again as I answered.

Visited on the phone for 30 minutes, talked about the truck, family, guns, BBQ, etc. In the end he sent me a deposit just as we hung up and I'm holding the truck for him and his family to pick up and pay cash for. I believe his plans are to drive it around a couple weeks and then sell it, probably for the same or close amount and have a free rental car.

Super nice guy, and like here sometimes you really meet folks in the strangest ways that turn out to be really cool. We're already planning what a family needs on a road trip so we can stock them up rather than them starting out in a completely empty truck and a list of BBQ joints!

Very cool.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be a scam.

Some guys are 'good' at it.

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you are buying or selling a vehicle, this seems to be one of the better sites:

https://www.cargurus.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I sold a Suburban online for just such a deal. I picked him up from the airport and he drove it back to Michigan.

This may sound odd to us int he south, but trucks up north rust out quickly. For the cost of a plane ticket and a weekend to come down here to buy used truck with zero rust is mighty attractive. YMMV.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It sounds good, but the cynic in me would also be on guard for a scam. So he wants you to hold it until the 29th? What if he's for real and comes by and decides he doesn't really want it and meanwhile you've turned down multiple offers?

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It sounds good, but the cynic in me would also be on guard for a scam. So he wants you to hold it until the 29th? What if he's for real and comes by and decides he doesn't really want it and meanwhile you've turned down multiple offers?

Agreed. Not only that.

Or he shows up with a sob story - you've had his deposit for a couple weeks - about Aunt Lizzie is in the hospital now and he is short a couple grand... Could you sell it for $3K instead of $5k or whatever...

Oh and by the way - he ain't 'flying in on vacation'... He's a local looking to scam you.

Just be careful.

------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just be prepared to be screwed over in some way. If the transaction goes as planned just think of it as a bonus.

I always think the worst with people and here is how I see this playing out. The guy and kid show up as planned. However they ran into "unexpected problems" and now have $750 bucks less to pay for the truck. You now wasted 2 weeks of your time and have turned away other potential buyers. You are mad but want the vehicle gone so you sell it for less.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
So sad there has to be so many 'scam' warning! I guess I am just too much of a PollyAnna.

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Geez, some of you guys are negative nancies.

I have done so many deals via e-bay, craigslist, etc, all over the country and not a single one of them has been an issue.

I have sold, and I have bought. Many of these deals were for thousands and thousands of dollars. I haven't scammed anybody, and nobody has scammed me.

The last deal I made was a few weeks ago, and I overnighted the guy a cashier's check for the full amount without ever even speaking to him on the phone. Drove up the following weekend, spent the night in a hotel, met him the following day, and picked up what I purchased.

Not saying you don't have to be careful and use your head, but not everybody out there trying to conduct business is out to rip you off.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have over the years bought and sold a few older MBZ on eBay and never had a problem. Always sent deposit via Pay Pal then picked them up with cash. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

The last deal I made was a few weeks ago, and I overnighted the guy a cashier's check for the full amount without ever even speaking to him on the phone. Drove up the following weekend, spent the night in a hotel, met him the following day, and picked up what I purchased.

Only a matter of time. Just sayin'.

--------------------------

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Agreed. Not only that.

Or he shows up with a sob story - you've had his deposit for a couple weeks - about Aunt Lizzie is in the hospital now and he is short a couple grand... Could you sell it for $3K instead of $5k or whatever...

Oh and by the way - he ain't 'flying in on vacation'... He's a local looking to scam you.

Just be careful.

------------------------

You guys are so negative.

Well, if it's a scam he's pretty thorough what with that:

WI phone number and an address where his name shows up, all match.

He hacked an eBay account that has been in place and active since 2000 with 3200 positive feedback. Selling mostly car items, some as recently as yesterday.

He's not asking me to give up anything other than time. Even if he flakes, the deposit was done as a "gift". Even if THAT went sideways and I had to give it back I can still sell the truck for the same in a week.

If he showed up with some story instead of $4700, I can just walk away. Hell, if he shows up with a fake family he gets the deposit back just for his commitment.

I own a fancy marker pen too..... Razz

I appreciate the skepticism and advice, but sometimes you do have to accept that everyone isn't out to get you or your tin foil will start to chafe.

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy not to get scammed.
He said he is paying with cash. That Simple no cash, no truck.
Ohh you are far from home with no ride, too bad so sad. Poster is out nothing but a couple of weeks in a worst case scenerio. If the OP is willing to hold it I doubt he is cash strapped and has to sell it now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I agree about northern vehicles rusting out quickly.

I know several guys who own body shops/mechanic shops that buy/repair/sell vehicles. They frequently make trips to TX and other southern states with 1 ton diesels and car hauler trailers to pick up a couple vehicles cheap to bring them back, fix up, and make a tidy profit at.

As to the scam alert - OP - what area code did the call come from? There are only a handful in WI - 715, 414, 262, 608, and 920. If it wasn't one of those, he may not be from WI...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
what area code did the call come from?

414. Matched his Hartford address. Of course he could have a Google Voice number with any area code, but that's just one piece of the puzzle.

Normally I'm Mr. skeptical, and still don't consider it sold until I'm holding a wad of cash in the airport parking lot. As Black92LX said, if it doesn't sell I'm not brokenhearted and will sell it anyway.

Also he reluctantly said he'd prefer to keep the transaction through eBay just for his protection. Costs me $125 that way which I'm fine with paying, but nobody with a 17 year perfect record and actively selling is going to risk that on a scam that nets him a maximum of zero.

I'm not convinced he's not actually a member here from our conversation, BTW. We sling money, guns and jewelry around every day like it's a sure thing, and it usually is.

Nice time for a shoutout to David Truong and Jeff Yarchin, personally. Big Grin

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only a matter of time. Just sayin'.

That's true. I have been scammed several times by people that I have actually known. There are risks with everything.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
On the "crazy buyer" front, there is today.

We are also selling an Infiniti G35, listed for a week. Got an email this morning at 11:58 from someone; "Very interested in the G35, can you please call me immediately!"

Sounded a little "I have a rich African uncle - ish" but sure, I call at 12:28.

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring {thinking I'm getting VM}

Answer in a whisper - Hello?

Is this Ronald? I'm returning your call about the g35?

garbled answer with voices in background

Excuse me, I couldn't hear you?

{whispered} I'm in church right now.

Seriously people. Don't be idiots. Oh, and no return call after he got out of church, so he must have been struck down, saved or just decided to walk.....

Good times.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm always open to friendly people. No harm in that as long as you protect yourself at all times.

It's not too far-fetch to believe there are still decent people out there that you haven't met yet.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
We are selling a Yukon XL . . . on eBay. . .

I'd just like to know how this turns out.

Please post again after you wrap up this deal and let us know.

I hope you're right; I tend to think people are good until they prove otherwise.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I appreciate the skepticism and advice, but sometimes you do have to accept that everyone isn't out to get you or your tin foil will start to chafe.

It's cool man, just be sure to have a sniper in overwatch when you go to meet him...Oh, and be sure to dress appropriately:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post