SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    December’s installment of “What is wrong with Thumper’s Nova”... now with video
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December’s installment of “What is wrong with Thumper’s Nova”... now with video Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My 73 Nova has developed an sound that shouldn’t be there. It started gradually and gained in frequency and length over a 2-3 day period. It’s now happening about 75% of the time under the right conditions.

Here is what I KNOW:
- the noise strikes me as rotational in origin
- the noise seems metallic, but also something else
- I’d describe it as a scratching squeak
- the noise ONLY occurs when the vehicle is in gear, moving, and under load
- the noise disappears when I let off the accelerator
- the noise disappears if I shift into neutral
- braking doesn’t seem to have any effect
- the noise is not present if I rev the engine while not moving, regardless if the transmission is in nuetral or Drive

Here is what I think:
- the noise seems to be coming from behind the driving position though I can’t be sure. Hard to pinpoint that when the noise only occurs while actually driving

Here is the Car:
- 1973 Nova 2dr hatchback
- zz4 350 that is about 15 years old, maybe 60k Miles
- turbo 350 trans, rebuilt once that I know off maybe 10-12 years ago
- 2.73 rear end
- drum brakes in rear

So my thought is it’s either the u joint where the driveline meets rear end or the rear end itself. Given the nature of the sound I don’t think it’s in the rear end...it sounds “exposed”, if that makes sense.

But I’m super far from being an expert.

Here is a video.

https://youtu.be/P4iy9W6ex8M

An unrelated question: can ya’ll hear the air hissing sound that ramps up asbthe car comes to a stop and when I revv it at the end? Does that sound like a vac leak?

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Could it be that when you give it gas the engine torques on the mount and the fan is rubbing on something?

other than that, maybe its VVS. Vertical Video Syndrome. Smile

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Does it sound internal or external? One KT my techs has a nova, I'll show him the video

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you inspected the drive line yet?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Could it be that when you give it gas the engine torques on the mount and the fan is rubbing on something?

other than that, maybe its VVS. Vertical Video Syndrome. Smile

It does resemble the sound of a metal blade hitting a plastic shroud but I’m nearly certain the noise is coming from behind the drivers position.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Does it sound internal or external? One KT my techs has a nova, I'll show him the video

External if I had to guess.

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
have you inspected the drive line yet?

No. I’ll try and do that now but I don’t really know what I’m looking for. Unless it’s super obvious. I mean, I know what the driveline is but I’m not sure I’d be able to spot a problem, depending on the problem.

posted Hide Post
i would take a flashlight and look for any bare metal for starters. I agree it sounds like something is spinning around and rubbing. pramblett might be onto something. are your motor mounts warn out?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I hear a couple of tics when you stopped and rev'd the engine.

Check for an exhaust leak.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield rubbing on the driveshaft.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
How are your motor mounts?

Also, check your driveshaft and exhaust for any play or shiny spots that look like they might have started rubbing on something they shouldn't be rubbing on.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Sounds almost exactly like my '85 K5 Blazer did when the exhaust flanges let go before the cats.

I'd look for hanging pipes and/ or soot/ scorch marks along them.

Did you use non-metallic flange gaskets? Welded exhaust? Headers loose at head?

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could also be a weak bendix spring on the starter that is allowing the spur gear to contact the flywheel. when it warps under load.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yea but the driveshaft is still spinning when he takes his foot off the gas.

If it's not in the engine bay and not exhaust, then its gotta be in the transmission when it's under torque.

How old is the clutch? How many miles on it and transmission?

I'd take a look at the clutch/transmission/torque converter.

Interesting problem. I hope it's not too serious.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
listened to vid - ujoints sound likely as many mentioned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It definitely sounds like something that rotates is contacting some thin sheet metal...or vice versa.

Two places where those two elements are in play that immediately come to mind are the fan & shroud or brake drum rubbing a backing plate. You said braking doesn't seem to affect the sound so I'd lean toward the fan. Have you tried tapping the brake pedal while keeping the engine under sufficient load to produce the sound?

Re the sucking sound, yes, I can hear it. If a bad motor mount is involved as suggested above, than you could have ripped a vacuum line or fitting.

For your sake, I hope you get this issue resolved quicker than the electrical problem from a few years ago. Wink And I think it's cool that you're still driving that car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Check the u-joints.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't watch the video now because of my bad network.

If the u-joints have zerks in them, squeeze in some grease. Either way, install new u-joints. Cheap and easy enough to do.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I just jacked up the rear end so both drive wheels were off the ground. There is no play in the pinion/unlit/driveline relationship. The whole assembly, if you will, has maybe 2 degrees rotational play, which I assume is normal

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
i would take a flashlight and look for any bare metal for starters. I agree it sounds like something is spinning around and rubbing. pramblett might be onto something. are your motor mounts warn out?

Didn’t notice anything but I also didn’t really look for that. I’ll have to check. It’s a bit hard to see as the mufflers do a great job of hiding the rear u bolt.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I hear a couple of tics when you stopped and rev'd the engine.

Check for an exhaust leak.

Now that you mention that I hear the ticks too. That’s indicative of an exhaust leak? Where would the most likely place be? The car has headers on it, not an exhaust manifold. Also has the cross pipe behind the headers.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Don’t remember seeing any shielding but I’ll confirm next time I lift it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
How are your motor mounts?

Also, check your driveshaft and exhaust for any play or shiny spots that look like they might have started rubbing on something they shouldn't be rubbing on.

quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Sounds almost exactly like my '85 K5 Blazer did when the exhaust flanges let go before the cats.

I'd look for hanging pipes and/ or soot/ scorch marks along them.

Did you use non-metallic flange gaskets? Welded exhaust? Headers loose at head?

Couldn’t answer you as to the motor mounts. I imagine they are original, so likely showing their age?

I’ll have to inspect the exhaust all the way back.

quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
It could also be a weak bendix spring on the starter that is allowing the spur gear to contact the flywheel. when it warps under load.

Is there a way to confirm this is or isn’t the problem besides installing a new starter?

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Pump in the transmission.

Can you elaborate?

quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
It definitely sounds like something that rotates is contacting some thin sheet metal...or vice versa.

Two places where those two elements are in play that immediately come to mind are the fan & shroud or brake drum rubbing a backing plate. You said braking doesn't seem to affect the sound so I'd lean toward the fan. Have you tried tapping the brake pedal while keeping the engine under sufficient load to produce the sound?

Re the sucking sound, yes, I can hear it. If a bad motor mount is involved as suggested above, than you could have ripped a vacuum line or fitting.

For your sake, I hope you get this issue resolved quicker than the electrical problem from a few years ago. Wink And I think it's cool that you're still driving that car.

I will check the fan and see if there is anything real close that looks like it might be able to move enough under torque.

To look for vac leaks can I spray carb cleaner or wd40 around the engine bay and listen for changes in rpm?

What was the electrical problem a few years back? This car has been causing me issues for 15 years now. Lol. They tend to blend together.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Check the u-joints.

That was my immediate answer.

Mid shaft hanger bearings will also make that same noise when they go bad, but you shouldn't have one I wouldn't think.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:

Yep. It sounds "flywheel-ish". (Flex Plate) Pull the inspection cover off the bottom of the bell-housing and see if there is any metal dusting.

You can have problem with torque converter being pushed forward against the flex plate from overpressure due to filter, passages and other things.

That whistling sound at the end sounds like the torque converter.

But it is hard to diagnose with a video.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post