SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've sold over 50 gins in my lifetime...to finance another buy, or when I got divorced to fund my bills (or the ones she stuck me with).

I regret only selling one, an M1 Garand, several years ago to another officer...I heard his marriage is in dire straits and I hope he remembers that I have the right of first refusal

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The fewer guns you have, the better you know each of them. My set:
CF target – SIG X5 Comp
RF target – Beretta 87 Target
HD – the same X5 Comp
CCW – SIG P238

So three pistols, total, all SAO. The X5 Comp has a Robert Burke action job.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Sometimes less is more. Turning something you don't use or have an emotional attachment to into usable cash is a good thing in most cases.

I'm also thinking about selling a few that have no sentimental value, aren't considered in anyway collectibles and I don't shoot often if ever. I've got a core of group that I plan on hanging onto as they either have usable utility or are something that means something to me like the ones I got from my Dad when he passed. When I consider the ones that might go, it's hard for me to think I'll have any real regret if they're gone.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am contemplating on selling off all my .45 (P220s and 1911s) as I rarely shoot them anymore. It seems like a waste letting them sit in the safe and they are not collector's items.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Never have had a recurring thought over selling a gun, since most of mine are newer, they are easily replaced.

Now a family heirloom, that would be different or something rare.

Been having the same thoughts, since I can't get to the range enough to shoot them all the time, someone might as well get some use out of them.

Probably won't though...

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I decided in 2010 to thin the heard. I now have about ten more guns than when I started downsizing.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thin is in Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts on this. I HAD an M1A and sold it. Now in my state they are banned... I had two nice AKs and sold one. Now they are banned in my state... I usually end up regretting selling a firearm. Also, this is the most critical. The market is really down/flat on firearms so this doubly a bad time to sell.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Seems that each year fall always seems to bring the idea of cutting the firearms collection substantially.
I have acquired a nice collection over the years but with life as busy as it is that is about all it is a collection. Most just sit in the safe and many have not been touched in years.
I don't get to shoot much so when I do I focus on those that I carry on a daily basis. Everything else gets the back burner.
I don't need the money but there are certainly things I could use the money on.
I will never get back what I have in it but there are a few I will get close and maybe 1 or 2 actually make a little bit on.

I know it is just the colder weather clouding my judgement. So this too will pass.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've sold a few over the years that I regret selling, but for the most part they're just things.
I'm actually trying to build my collection at the moment, mainly in black guns. I'm looking at the future and thinking of my grandsons and nephews.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't do it- of the many I have sold I regret all but 1 or 2

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I sold a stainless 6 inch Python I purchased back in 1983 when times were lean. I've since replaced it. Since I had an FFL for many years I've sold too many to keep even 10% of them.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
While I have sold a few and regretted it, as the years go by the time is coming for me to let some go. I cannot leave them all to the sons because they live in commie states. For me not to convert some of them into different memories would restrict myself in retirement. For me to leave it to them to do when I can not, would be an unfair burden.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it is just the colder weather clouding my judgement. So this too will pass.

ah yes.....the "pre-winter solstice spring-cleaning up the gun room syndrome....

when I get to certain parts of the year, I go thru a little cleaning ritual and anything that hasn't been out for exercise in the past year gets to go for a little ride to the range....

it generally cures me of such notions of 'thinning anything'....but there is a rather expanding pile of used brass/unused holsters/various bits & pieces fitting the 'what-was-I-THINKING' too-good-to-throw-out stuff.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Use it or lose it.

Things that sit around for several months to years, unused, can't be that important.

Money and space are finite, as is time to play with or otherwise use any of it.

Dump the things you're least attached to / have used the least, and move on.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I've been downsizing for a couple of years now. As a matter of fact, I think I currently own about half of the number of guns I owned at the high point. In general, I think it feels great to declutter. The hardest part is getting started. Sell those guns you don't use and don't look back.

My wife and I have started going to local estate sales for items that we need. We have gotten some amazing deals, plus it is kind of fun. One thing that has struck both of us by going to these things is just how much stuff people can accumulate. All that stuff that people collected and it ends with a bunch of strangers going through all of it, buying it for peanuts. I think it is kind of sad.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, this is a complex thing. My family guns, the ones both my father and hers had are too much of a burden for me. I just kept them moving along, putting a proper guilt trip on my sons as I handed them over. Some had terrific sentimental value. My sons can suffer with them.

I do have guns that just sit, kind of retired. And my widow can deal with it. I'll be happy to own them until I croak. Who knows how soon that will be.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post