SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've sold two guns: A handgun and a rifle. Both funded other firearm acquisitions. Don't regret either. I've two handguns that are prepped for sale. Only reason they're not up, yet, is lack of time. I've one I'd like to acquire.

My "herd" isn't all that big. But it's mine and I'm happy with it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ve sold several over the years and don’t regret it... just things. I made substantial (over double in some cases)money on a Glock 19, 43, and a P320 .45 due to the intricacies of the CA market and have a Gen 5 17 for sale now that, in true Glock form, was utterly disappointing.

I won’t sell my P232 as it was a wedding gift from my wife, though I don’t ever shoot it. I realized the only handguns I use are my 9mm 320’s and my Shield so I started clearing out the rest.

That being said I keep considering selling my Beretta 92 but I just can’t seem to do it. I never shoot it but I just can’t bring myself to part with it.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I've trimmed my collection down to essentials for hunting, essentials for carry and defense, family guns (don't view them as mine to sell), and the nfa stuff (not worth selling, but also happens to be the defense minded carbines and suppressors). So they all get used in one way or another. Some more than others, but use them all. I started a rule that if I hated it, couldn't get used to it, or didn't use it for a year then it went (again not counting family guns). The couldn't get used to it included the p238 and some 1911s at the time. I carry a glock normally and all the sao guns I had were geared towards carry and not competition so they went. Also simplified parts and mags since I pretty much shoot all the 9mm glocks for carry to fun to competition to work anymore.

As rogue said, I'd rather have cash on hand for a new gun your heart desires or extra emergency repair money or vacation money or whatever. Can't take it with you but I'm sure you'll find a way to spend it. And in the grand scheme of things, whats the most you'd loose on a gun or cost to replace one or two you really end up missing? Or since you bave kids (if I remember right), what about having the casb on hand for a gun for them in the future or whatever sport they pick up.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Ever since moving to Texas, we have been Buying guns.

Wife will have a nice nest egg when I go, Maybe....

So far we have on order a bigger gun safe than what we had in Hawaii....

I was lucky(?) to pick up 2 Mossberg Shockwaves. One in 12 ga and the second in 20 ga. at good prices.

Gotta LOVE Texas.

The down side, it's 40 degrees outside.....

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I regret EVERY SINGLE gun I have sold. Some because they are worth more now. Others because I'd love to shoot them one more time. Even the ones that were "common." All of them.

same...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I've sold, or traded a few over the years. I sold a Ruger P94?? that I purchased back in the early 90's. I never could shoot it worth a darn, and always thought I could hit something better if I threw it rather than shoot it.
I also sold a couple others, but they were never anything special--a Phoenix Arms .22 (hated that one, and actually made a few dollars on the sale), Mossberg 12 gauge, and maybe a couple others.

quote:
Originally posted by YogiBear:
Gotta LOVE Texas.

The down side, it's 40 degrees outside.....

Ahhh, quit your whining. It's 34 degrees in Nashville at the moment... Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to thin the herd. But, for some damn reasons, the herd keeps growing. Roll Eyes

But, eventually, they will all be gone.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, I'll buy what ever guns you want to sell for $100/ each with the written agreement that you may at any time buy it back for the same price, or have riggt of first refusal if i were to sell.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have bought, sold, and traded many over the years and only regret a few. I too think about thinning the herd, as I’m up to double digits of guns I haven’t ever fired. Mostly due to lack of time. I really don’t need the money, and it probably isn’t a good time to be selling.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time never regretted one, sigs, browning's, glocks, 1911 colts meh so what. they are just toys don't get to attached. buy sell trade and forget about it. there will be others.

Good friend of mine buys things and never sells he has containers full of things he hasn't touched in years and never will.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold a few here and there. I supremely regret selling a well worn Browning High-Power shortly after I got back home from overseas. THAT is the one I wish I could get back! The Colt .25 Pocket auto I sold back to the guy I bought it from for the same price and a beer, so I did pretty good on that deal. Ruger 10-22... no big deal, when I wanted another, I got one. S&W Mod 66, same thing, no remorse letting that go. When I want another, I'll grab one. S&W Mod 52-2 funded my Seecamp .380. The Mod 52 was a great shooter, without a doubt one of, if not the most accurate pistol I had in my safe, but go great loss for me, I wanted the Seecamp more.

For some reason we have an affinity to some guns more than others. If it was Dad's 1911 from The Big War, I'd have to say "KEEP IT!" it's understandable why. But if it's a stock G-19, Beretta 92, Sig P-220... Meh... no big deal.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I don't sell them but like O P said they just sit in the safe.
This year I have given away another eight,did the same last year and a few the year before that.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only sold two pistols, (but I've given a few as gifts). One was a Kahr I sold to a rookie NYPD officer so he had an off duty and then I purchased a 228 with the money. No regrets there. The other was a .40 S&W P226 I got for a song when I was stationed in GA. That was a great shooting .40, but I din't like .40 at the time. I sold it to buddy who sold it someone else. That one I regret, as it was a great shooting gun.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I have sold about 6 guns.

* Bersa
* Uberti
* Single shot, bolt-action 22LR rifle
* Sig P232
* Sig P238
* Ruger GP100 Blued 6 inch

I don't regret selling any of them. I sold them for more than I paid for them, and most of them I didn't care for. I would have regretted selling the Ruger, but I replaced it with a Ruger Stainless Steel 4 inch and I really love it.

If you have some guns you never shoot anymore and they don't hold any sentimental value, why not cut 'em loose?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the post has gone this far before someone said..

IN FOR THE KARMA!

But seriously I have not sold any but am contemplating it also...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I regret losing every gun I sold, even those I considered to be a POS.

I'm in the group that has bought and sold several times what I currently own, so don't quite understand the sentimental attachment to guns that don't work well for you. Unless it is a family treasure or something irreplaceable, they are nothing but steel and wood/plastic. Obviously, we want to maintain a certain base level for personal protection, but beyond that they are commodities.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've never regretted selling guns, the money went to fund other firearms or custom knives. I sold some hard to replace pieces, that's OK they were just not getting used.

What I have now is a good assortment for me, I doubt I'll add more than one or two.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I have regrets about two that I've sold. A Freedom Arms .454 Casull and a Sig X6. Frown

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I do it all the time never regretted one, sigs, browning's, glocks, 1911 colts meh so what. they are just toys don't get to attached. buy sell trade and forget about it. there will be others.

+1. If I don't shoot it or see a future use for it, I sell it.

Rifles I tend to hang on to, but handguns, nah, I don't get attached at all. I told a buddy of mine, if you never have sold a gun, you aren't buying enough of them. Razz

I actually feel good when I thin the herd. Makes room and money for new stuff and gets rid of the feeling of "why am I keeping all of these when I will never shoot them."

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never sold any weapons, but I have traded several that I either wasn't using or didn't care for enough to keep. If you have multiple weapons that aren't being used, hold no sentimental value, and aren't likely to appreciate dramatically in the future, what's the point?

Thin the herd.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post