SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The annual thought of thinning the heard is upon me Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Seems that each year fall always seems to bring the idea of cutting the firearms collection substantially.
I have acquired a nice collection over the years but with life as busy as it is that is about all it is a collection. Most just sit in the safe and many have not been touched in years.
I don't get to shoot much so when I do I focus on those that I carry on a daily basis. Everything else gets the back burner.
I don't need the money but there are certainly things I could use the money on.
I will never get back what I have in it but there are a few I will get close and maybe 1 or 2 actually make a little bit on.

I know it is just the colder weather clouding my judgement. So this too will pass.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Don't do it! You'll be sorry you did.

Like Bogie says to Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, "You're going to regret that, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life."

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same thoughts.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I understand the need for space (and spare cash). But I also get a kick out of being able to shoot whatever I feel like shooting, whenever I feel like shooting.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold a gun once. I'm still trying to recover from it years later. Can't think of any reason to sell another.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regret losing every gun I sold, even those I considered to be a POS. Several went during bad financial times, but the sum total I got for the entire lot wasn't enough to support me for a month, so I lost an HK-91 with attachments and plenty of spare mags, a really pristine S&W 36 from the mid-1970's, a Colt Detective Special from the early 1970's, and more.

I'll never sell another gun, no matter what happens.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I regret EVERY SINGLE gun I have sold. Some because they are worth more now. Others because I'd love to shoot them one more time. Even the ones that were "common." All of them.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have sold some that were from the mid 70's new in the box. You end up losing money due to the dollar losing its value.

Rugers are the worst on losing money while some Smith Wesson's may break even.

Some were bought during my work travels around the country.

Hermans Sporting Goods always had a good selection of Smith Wesson's which you could hand select for lock up, bluing, etc. I got one of the first M629's there when they were introduced. At one time I had six M66's. Big Grin I never had time to take a vacation so I just bought a few guns to offset the occasion.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I’ve been thinking about selling a couple of Mosins. Then I remember a few guns I sold back in the 90s and still regret it.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
You'll have time someday, and may regret selling them then.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I've sold several and only regret one. The others I was meh about when I owned them.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
most of the ones I did sell was to fund others that were more enjoyable; a few others were such a POS/PIA it was a pleasure selling them too.

There's only a few that I would go to the effort to recover were it possible.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell ya what. IIRC, you live in my town. I am similarly considering thinning the herd, and have a ton I don't shoot either. Hit me with a PM on my email address, we can meet for coffee, and talk about swapping, if that interests you.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the same thought, but it’s my herd of cattle....cull the ones I don’t want to feed through the winter...

My guns? Rarely have I sold or traded one that I didn’t regret later.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My wife shit a brick when I told her I had 5.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've sold maybe 2 or 3 that I later regretted selling, but a bunch more that I didn't regret. I'm in kind of the same place as the OP now, I've got a bunch of guns in the safe that I never use, so why keep them? One exception to that is the first one I owned, a deer rifle given to me by my Dad when I was 16. I doubt I'll ever sell that one, even though I haven't hunted in years and likely never will again.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have sold some over the years, honestly I can say I don't regret any of them.

Think hard before you do, however - make sure it's actually worth it to sell.

And then again, it's likely a horrible time to sell, depending on what you are thinking of letting go.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Over the past couple years, I've been slowly paring down my milsurp accumulation... er... collection.

I found that I enjoy the stack of extra cash in the safe more than the stack of old rifles in the safe. Having some extra liquidity is nice when it comes to unexpected expenses, last minute good deals, spur of the moment vacations, etc.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regret every gun I've sold, even when I sold one to buy another. I even miss the ones that I didn't really care for. I want them all back again.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I regret selling most of the ones I've sold. Some were necessary so that hurts less.

However, they are just things, and nothing without a pulse is ever truly sacred.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post