SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk flagpoles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk flagpoles Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I might have posted about this once before but I'm finally ready to do it. I had a little area on the front of my property that would suit a flag pole, but it was being occupied by an evergreen tree. Well that tree took a beating last summer so I cut it down. I want to put up a 30' flag pole in it's place. I found a 30' telescoping flagpole that is 14ga aluminum for around $300 with free shipping.

My question is, is there that much of a benefit to a single piece flag pole or is a telescoping flagpole fine?

A bit of info about the property, there is 130' from the house to where the pole will be and behind the house is an open field. So we get a decent amount of wind at times as there are no real obstructions to slow it down. Other than a few trees.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Prepare to spend $1000 for quality or prepare to replace it very other year.
20" tall $800(outside the ground) Yardarm was $300

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I thought about that after I posted this. Now I'm leaning towards this pole:

http://www.admiralflagpoles.co...minum-Flag-Pole--849

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 20’ telescoping pole for about 10 years. I moved it this year because a tree grew faster than the pole. I have no complaints.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you opt for telescoping, take a look at tele-pole.

Website

I had a 20' classic with no issues in high winds with 2 3x5 flags. Nice warranty too.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
130' from the house? How you going to light it? That's a lot of trenching.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
130' from the house? How you going to light it? That's a lot of trenching.

Baby steps

posted Hide Post
When you get to lighting it
Check out solar

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I worked in a flagpole factory for almost a year. Though I made mostly tent poles and other military contract items.

Dosen't help you though. Big Grin

But I'd think a non telescoping one would be a LOT of money to ship.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Last summer I put in a 30’ telescoping pole. It came from Atlantic Flagpole, but was actually manufactured by Teton in Idaho. Unlike many, I do not fly our flags, American and Wyoming, 24/7, 365. I don’t have a lighted flagpole because I take it down at sunset. This time of year, our flagpole is in the garage, it’s just too windy during the winter months to fly a flag—I’d be going through them like popcorn. I’ve had flags up when high winds came and the pole seems to weather the storm just fine; I believe it’s rated for 80 mph. I’d rather not test that.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Look around for used lighting poles and buy the kit with the pulleys for it.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
for extra points, rig it to be a shortwave antenna in addition to a flagpole.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
But I'd think a non telescoping one would be a LOT of money to ship.

You would think, but the company I linked above has free shipping.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Just don't lick it when its cold...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Just don't lick it when its cold...

What's the fun in that?

Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I have a 20' telescoping in the back yard. The only downside is that lowering it to half staff when required is more of a job than normal line poles.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post