SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF??? Login/Join 
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new truck!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Congrats on the new truck!

Thank you. I'm convinced had Henry been of this century, he would recognize the roots of his invention. Servicable 4 cylinder capable of traversing the mud hole of today, in more comfort and grace than the previous generation. Add in generations of automotive bureaucrats.gov and typical market competition, multiply by inflation and various benefit funding plans, add power windows & tunes, might as well add a turbo in there, voila! Henry, in today's holographic reality.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that. My understanding is that Henry was married to the Model T. Speaking of which, there was a 1-ton Model T truck on display at the Edison-Ford Estates in Ft Myers when I was there last fall. The rear axle was worm gear driven. I think he'd fall over dead if he saw my F350 compared to the Model T 1-ton. He'd hate the heated/cooled seats, radio, Bluetooth phone connection, 10" screen, power everything, etc.

Then he'd look at the sticker price and fall over dead a second time. Only 100x the $650 for a 1-ton Model T.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy just bought a 2020 F150 XLT a few days ago and came by and took me for a ride. It’s got the turbo v6 and 10 speed. Man. that engine pulls that big truck around. He’s got the 325 horse version not the 375. Would be fun in a smaller truck.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
. My understanding is that Henry was married to the Model T.

Then he'd look at the sticker price and fall over dead a second time. Only 100x the $650 for a 1-ton Model T.

There's a short article at https://www.autoweek.com/news/...fords-final-triumph/
that discusses some of Henry's views. Along with a brief review of his involvement with the design of the flathead V8. HIS flathead V8.
Agree Henry had simpler tastes....in his era.

And the cost difference? Gasoline itself was a couple pennies a gallon,now 100-fold...and Gold has in fact gone from $17/oz to 100x or more. Given same inflationary time span, why shouldn't a Ford pickup?

The actual point I was trying to make, is the essential ingenuity and inventiveness of Henry can be easily seen in this new version of 'the Ranger'. Developing the bucketful of silicon life forms that supplement functioning of the more advanced features of the Ranger, he may have assigned to Edison or some other budding genius of the era....maybe Tesla Himself.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I don't know what the fully loaded Lariat prices out, but it was pretty nice.

My 2019 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 with pretty much all the option packages stickered at $46,430. With discounts and rebates ended up at $37,500 before T/L.

About the same as I paid for my 2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT with the factory tow package and few other options. The F150 stickered quite a bit a higher as well

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have comments about their Snickers-sized key fob? Mine works to spec but surprised by the size of it. Finished the first-skim thru reading of the 400 page owners manual. Yikes!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Does anyone have comments about their Snickers-sized key fob? Mine works to spec but surprised by the size of it. Finished the first-skim thru reading of the 400 page owners manual. Yikes!

My expedition is the same size and it's a bit much and heavy for what it is. There is a physical key built into it that slides out of the end (in case you don't know.) Also the alarm/horn button gets pressed easily in your pocket and happens to me about every 2 months.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, it’s not small. It’s the same size as my 2019 mustang though; I believe they’re all about the same size now from Ford. I don’t particularly like keys of any size and frequently use the keypad to lock/unlock. Pressing 7/9 at the same time locks the doors and disables the fob so you can just lock it in the truck and go. You can also use the FordPass app to unlock/lock and remote start once set up. It requires cell service though and it’s delayed- open the app, press/hold the unlock, wait 10-30 seconds. Past playing with it I haven’t used it much and just consider a “backup” to the keypad or fob now. I also have the Ford center console vault so when I’m out in the woods I just lock up everything in there. It was very easy to install and would take some serious effort and tools to remove. It’s also the perfect size for a P938 and accessories.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Good info. Now to locate a vault.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I never have to touch the FOB for my 2017 Focus ST. It just stays in my pocket. When I place my hands in the door handle, the doors unlock. When I get out and close the door, there's a spot on the handle I touch that locks the doors. I also have have the numbers in the pillar, but have never used them.

Does the Ranger not work the same way?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
#1:
quote:
When I get out and close the door, there's a spot on the handle I touch that locks the doors.

Yes, same;

#2: I also have have the numbers in the pillar,

no outside number pad; that's in the 501A package one step up from my 500A options;

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1:
quote:
When I get out and close the door, there's a spot on the handle I touch that locks the doors.

Yes, same;

#2: I also have have the numbers in the pillar,

no outside number pad; that's in the 501A package one step up from my 500A options;

Man, after 15 years of a number pad on my truck, I don't know how I'd be without one ever again. When the time comes guess I'll have to pony up the $ for the right package.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how I'd be without one ever again.

so far I think I ~like~ the 'no key needed' operation....what I have to work out, is the uneasy sensation of 'not being locked up securely' just because of the scrambled door latch operation and the various other disconnects, such as the fuel pump, with the fob lock armed (or whatever they call it).

Haven't learned the nuances of the 'adaptive cruise control' yet. The autoOFF/ON engine feature is so well tuned it is almost unnoticeable. Very pleased with the ride & handling, got about 100 miles largely at highway speed today.

Parked next to new F150, surprised how close the wheel base is.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My cousin stopped by last week. I didn't have my glasses on and thought he must have bought a new Ranger because his truck seemed smaller. Nope. Same F150 crew cab with a 5 1/2' bed he's had for at least 8 years.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donothing:
I purchased a 2020 Ranger with Lariat trim about a month ago... Got it to pull a 14 ft Jon Boat.

Thats an expensive tow rig !! A $1000 Ford E150 van would have towed that thing just great.

But I understand wanting something new. My truck is 14 years old at this point but I cant really justify replacing it as its a second vehicle and it runs perfect and is well maintained.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't know how I'd be without one ever again.

so far I think I ~like~ the 'no key needed' operation....what I have to work out, is the uneasy sensation of 'not being locked up securely' just because of the scrambled door latch operation and the various other disconnects, such as the fuel pump, with the fob lock armed (or whatever they call it).

Haven't learned the nuances of the 'adaptive cruise control' yet. The autoOFF/ON engine feature is so well tuned it is almost unnoticeable. Very pleased with the ride & handling, got about 100 miles largely at highway speed today.

Parked next to new F150, surprised how close the wheel base is.

if by adaptive it means radar, sonar or whateverdar controlled, so you don't run up on the folks in front, you may think it sucks,

my wife had a loaner Lexus that had that type of cruise, I drove it one day and just stopped using cruise for that trip,
drove me nuts, (set at 75, and if the car 1/4 mile up the road was running 65, it slowed down to match)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
The adaptive cc in the Ranger isn’t bad, and the lane keeping system is quite good. I used it a lot at first, but it worked so well I could fly down the highway and found myself frequently not paying as close attention as I normally do. You also get used to it automatically slowing down for the car ahead of you, which caused an issue when I nearly put the grill of our older Seqouia (regular cruise control) up the tailpipe of the car in front of me. At that point I turned it off in the Ranger, but still use it at night or on longer trips when I’m tired. The only criticism I give the cruise control is that at its closest following setting leaves exactly enough space for someone to cut you off.

"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
2.3L twin turbo

Are you sure it's twin turbo? Usually there is one turbo per bank of cylinders, and an inline four obviously has only one. Unless it has one each for cylinders 1&4 and 2&3 (paired or companion cylinders)? There are some twin-turbo inline sixes.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you sure it's twin turbo

saw interesting techie (non Ford mechanic) guy show photos of 'the turbo' impeller gizmo. If I followed his explanation, the center of the rotating 'impeller' (whatever it's called, essentially a longish/smaller diameter 'bore' rotating cylinder had a raised area that arguably divided the air flow into two air flow streams, heading in opposite directions from the middle of the device.

Whatever the proper nomenclature may be, the performance is quite surprising for a 2.7L pick up engine.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~