SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF??? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Rangers I saw in Australia were AWESOME. The ones here are ok I guess but those Aussie Rangers are better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The Rangers I saw in Australia were AWESOME. The ones here are ok I guess but those Aussie Rangers are better.

"I'm listening"...please elaborate...

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
4 cylinder twin turbo diesels with manuals. Factory snorkels.... Yeah they offer proper trucks in Australia. The steering wheel is on the wrong side though so it feels weird as hell when you ride around Australia at first. They even have (had) a modern el Camino (Holden Maloo) in Australia. I was shocked to see the Toyota dealership in Melbourne had a few Hilux trucks on the lot with snorkels, roll/light bars and what appeared to be a slight lift.

I saw Rangers and Hilux trucks all over Sydney and Melbourne that looked like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

"I'm listening"...please elaborate...

Much like what GM did with the GTO and SS they brought over the Australian form but had nowhere near the soul that the Holden counterparts had down under.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 4wd Ranger Lariat as a rental car for a week. Over 3200 miles in 7 days, including 200-300 miles on dirt roads in the Permian basin.

Worked flawlessly. On the pavement, set the cruise 80-85 mph and did just fine.

I don't know what the fully loaded Lariat prices out, but it was pretty nice.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I had a 4wd Ranger Lariat as a rental car for a week. Over 3200 miles in 7 days, including 200-300 miles on dirt roads in the Permian basin.

I was thinking the same thing. So I looked at my current 2013 f150 sticker. That was 54.9ksticker when i bought it. I had a family z plan pin, so, 12.5 % of that off was my actual price. 48k ish.

I then took all the same packages, or as close I could and built out the same truck. f150 was 69.9k 70 fucking grand. SMH

So I priced out a Ranger, picking packages as close to my f150 as I could. 50,531k.

That is complete and utter bullshit. No wonder ford is off 1.8 billion for the NA market.

Oh, and if you are thinking I am nuts. Here is a link to the builds

ranger

F150

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing. So I looked at my current 2013 f150 sticker. That was 54.9ksticker when i bought it. I had a family z plan pin, so, 12.5 % of that off was my actual price. 48k ish.

I then took all the same packages, or as close I could and built out the same truck. f150 was 69.9k 70 fucking grand. SMH

So I priced out a Ranger, picking packages as close to my f150 as I could. 50,531k.

That is complete and utter bullshit. No wonder ford is off 1.8 billion for the NA market.

ranger

F150

That is the price of ALL of the new trucks. Prices have skyrocketed since you bought your truck on all new trucks. It doesn't matter if it's Ford, Toyota, GM, etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

ranger

F150

That is the price of ALL of the new trucks. Prices have skyrocketed since you bought your truck on all new trucks. It doesn't matter if it's Ford, Toyota, GM, etc. etc.

I get what you are saying. My point is that ford is after the premium market. They stated that they wanted to brand their trucks as Luxury trucks. They shit canned all car production in favor of SuV style vehicles (ones that look like ass) They lost 1.8billion in North American revenue as of Feb. IIRC it was something like 4 billion worldwide over that stupid business model. I am sure the covid, lockdown, and riots have helped those numbers a lot.

Look I expect some increases, but 16k in 7 years? I don't see it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

Boo. They need to put 3.5TT or Coyote engine in one. A Ranger Raptor would be great, especially if they can fit a Coyote in it.

The 7.3 ltr Godzilla engine would fit easier than a Coyote.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
They need to put 3.5TT or Coyote engine in one. A Ranger Raptor would be great,

as one who isn't in that portion of the demographic, nor the 'stick & diesel' crew, other qualities draw me to the features currently marketed.

I've watched some of the Aussie Outback rigs & driving styles. I don't expect to forge many rivers nor drag my expedition trailer thru 6 feet of mud on a regular basis. I'm content with navigating our own 'Oregon Geezer Outback' and with a bum knee & other issues, stick shift is not what my own needs are. My driving style has changed considerably over the past 60+ years on the road, and there is less drama in what I've got left to slide sideways into the ditch while proclaiming 'what a ride!!' etc. Just getting to my destinations will not be requiring a Coyote engine anytime soon.

Appreciate further comments from those with driving time behind the Ranger wheel.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2020 Ranger with Lariat trim about a month ago. Only have about 800 miles on it. It is loaded. I really like it. Quiet, drives and rides great. An F-150 with a similar configuration was every bit of 15000+ more than the ranger. It wouldn't fit in my garage either. Got it to pull a 14 ft Jon Boat. Don't even know it is back there.

It suits my needs. It might not suite yours. I'm impressed with the engine and tranny at this point. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm impressed with the engine and tranny at this point. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

so far only a short demo ride....but included a wide stretch of train tracks crossing. Wondering about feel of suspension in various zones, and handling/ride satisfaction.

The 20 minutes I was in it the motor/automatic seemed to work well together.

How's the creature comforts and the passenger satisfaction? MPG at this point? Seat adjustment travel for both driver & passenger? Thanks for your data.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't expect to forge many rivers

For the record, ford is a verb, a noun, and a proper noun.

As such, one can ford a river at a ford in a Ford.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
As such, one can ford a river at a ford in a Ford.

yes, understood;

I suppose the argument that were one using a Coyote high output engine, that one might be capable of 'forging ahead' against the elements, if a typo were not involved Wink

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
Creature comforts are great at the Lariat level. Both seats are comfortable and have numerous adjustments. Wife says she is very comfortable. Only issue she mentioned is the hight to get in. She is short and it is a bit of a hike to climb in (4X4 version). I've looked at the mpg once. Getting around 22 mixed. Obviously, mine is new and I have not had any problems so far. I've owned Fords the last 10 years and all have been very good. No serious issues--just minor recall stuff.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who participated in this inquiry.

Have made my move at long last.

His tentative name is "Henry". A rather loaded Lariat trim version.

We'll see whether the 2.3L turbo/10 speed auto serves my purposes well enough. After all, in the 120 years building 4 cylinder gas engines, Ford SHOULD have the essentials down pretty good.

Certainly is a pleasure driving.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Pics man!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems like the F150 is over priced, why should one cost 20% more than a Ranger? Same R&D cost, about the same labor to build, what's 700# more plastic and steel cost.... $2,000?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Henry? You are going to name your Ford, Henry? I guess Edsel was ready taken, so there's that. Razz

Enjoy your new truck.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post