SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As a turbo guy I would say that its twin-scroll but not twin turbo. But what the heck in this discussion, you get what Ford designed and that's that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yes, twin scroll. There was an explanation posted on page 2 of this thread.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
yes, thank you for the description;

'"The 2.3 only has one turbocharger of a twin scroll design. The exhaust is split into two streams and follows two different paths (scrolls) in the turbine housing to reach the turbine. The exhaust is split by cylinder firing order; odd numbers into one stream and evens into the other.?"

For a non-tekki reader, that makes perfect sense. I saw a photo somewhere along about the time I read this description.

Maybe it's the advertising department that's calling it 'twin turbo'?

Spirited little devil in any case.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Ford has announced that the Ranger Raptor will be in the US market in 2023/34!

It will have the 3L twin turbo ecoboost that is in the bronco raptor and will be fulltime 4wd

Videos on utube look pretty good

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

The next gen Ranger is getting the TT 3.0 V6 but probably only in the Raptor trim.

The current 2.3T has been out for a few years.

Edit, just saw that there were multiple pages on this thread...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The next gen Ranger is getting the TT 3.0 V6 but probably only in the Raptor trim.

The current 2.3T has been out for a few years.

My Ranger is now going on almost 20,000 miles at 20 months ownership.

As a retired rural geezer, the 2.3L turbo/10 speed is all the performance I need.

It's still hard to get UNDER 23mpg, and nearly impossible to get UNDER 22mpg. Best Ford I've ever owned.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
23mpg is nice. I guarantee the twin turbo 3.0 V6 doesn’t get that. It certainly doesn’t get that in my wife’s Explorer when she’s driving it.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Direct Injection so the valves look like Don Draper's lungs, Two $1000 turbos to shit the bed around 100k miles, and timing chain guides that turn the color of dog diarrhea and disintegrate around the same time as the turbos.

Lease it my man.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
timing chain guides that turn the color of dog diarrhea and disintegrate around the same time as the turbos.

given the FAIL of my much touted Mercedes 300 TD SEL cam chain at just over 100k despite first rate upkeep and regular service, just the week before FAIL, as I recall, I can appreciate such concern on a mere Ford pick up.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Re: Direct Injection
Ford has a few motors with port and direct injection to provide some fuel wash over the valves.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
given the FAIL of my much touted Mercedes 300 TD SEL cam chain at just over 100k despite first rate upkeep and regular service, just the week before FAIL, as I recall, I can appreciate such concern on a mere Ford pick up.

My wife has a 2021 Benz GLE 350. I told her I'd divorce her if she bought it instead of lease. That fucking thing doesn't even have a dipstick. Oil change recommendations at 10k miles. Roll Eyes It has 30k on it right now. I bet if I took the valve cover off the underside would look like a superfund site.

The best part about new cars is handing the keys back just about the time they are out of warranty.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post