SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF??? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Boo. They need to put 3.5TT or Coyote engine in one. A Ranger Raptor would be great, especially if they can fit a Coyote in it.

2021 Ranger Raptor

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

Boo. They need to put 3.5TT or Coyote engine in one. A Ranger Raptor would be great, especially if they can fit a Coyote in it.

Either of those motors in a Ranger would be an absolute MONSTER.
My Expedition EL is lifted 2” on 33” AT tires and it scoots with the 3.5L Ecoboost.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25317 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Having owned an F150 with the 2.7TT, I think that's plenty of motor for an OE option on the Ranger, hopefully a later year option. Though, it would definitely push the prices up even more.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15111 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

2021 Ranger Raptor
Put a footnote on that as Ford has made no formal commitment to market a US Ranger Raptor. Just one more example why Ford is teetering on financial bankruptcy given they don't seem to have a clue how to deliver what their potential customers demand.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

2021 Ranger Raptor
Put a footnote on that as Ford has made no formal commitment to market a US Ranger Raptor. Just one more example why Ford is teetering on financial bankruptcy given they don't seem to have a clue how to deliver what their potential customers demand.

Probably not going to make it, if they do it will be $65k or some nonsense.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Ranger Raptor sounds great. My own pretend go fast bad ass days have been left in the dust somewhere in the last millennium. What I'm after now is a suitable geezermobile that will serve perfectly as daily drivermobile until I personally need to be refueled with some high test Holy Water in the sky.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really not sure how much of a market there is for the Raptor versions. $60-$80K trucks are not exactly something the average person can afford.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10905 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Really not sure how much of a market there is for the Raptor versions. $60-$80K trucks are not exactly something the average person can afford.

Yet somehow they are really popular. 84 month loans, anyone?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
So now I've driven those models of greatest interest currently. My list, after hours of research and demo drives, stand here:
1) Ford Ranger; while suitably impressive performance, the 2.3L twin turbo with 10 speed auto leaves a certain anxiety as well;
2) GMC Canyon. Wouldn't have anticipated this;
3)Toyota Tacoma a distant third.
4) Gladiator has been eliminated as not fitting my needs currently.

Perhaps not vitally interesting to read my personal reasons, the process of choosing is common here.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I recently read that Gladiator sales have taken a big dip, may have some decent discounts coming if they don't pick up.

Of your list, I've only driven the Colorado & Tacoma.
Both have their merits, the Taco seems better built, but the Colorado seemed peppier.

Curious to give the new Ranger a try.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15111 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I saw a new Ranger on the road today for the first time. Nice looking vehicle, but it's tall. Then again, all pickups seem really tall to me these days.

The 2.3 only has one turbocharger of a twin scroll design. The exhaust is split into two streams and follows two different paths (scrolls) in the turbine housing to reach the turbine. The exhaust is split by cylinder firing order; odd numbers into one stream and evens into the other.

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
$60-$80K trucks are not exactly something the average person can afford.
The local firehouse used to hose a monthly union meeting. Those trucks in attendance were the true profit-makers of the industry. Enormous, loaded, and immaculately clean. Cheap credit union loans + job security.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
quote:
$60-$80K trucks are not exactly something the average person can afford.
The local firehouse used to hose a monthly union meeting. Those trucks in attendance were the true profit-makers of the industry. Enormous, loaded, and immaculately clean. Cheap credit union loans + job security.
I think a Ranger Raptor would be little different than the F-150 Raptor. Ford sells every F-150 Raptor they build and in most cases, well in excess of MSRP. Its a showcase model for the brand.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
minor update: have driven/shopped more & pruned list further down;

despite good advise re 1st year models, the Ranger still looks good to me; also the Ram 1500 has stepped up a notch & Ford 150 has entered the consideration list.

There's a huge influx the last couple weeks of all dealer lots I've seen, of fleet-lease rigs with 10-30000 miles....all priced conveniently close enough to make 'new' seem attractive.

I keep hoping the ever-close New Bronco will burst forth, yet not quite yet.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Timely reply. I just traded a 2013 5.3L Silverado in on a 2019 5.0L F150. The new truck has ~25,000 miles on it. My employer pays for my vehicles and they gave me a ~25K budget. The coyote engine with the 10 speed transmission is fantastic!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1437 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
minor update: have driven/shopped more & pruned list further down;

despite good advise re 1st year models, the Ranger still looks good to me; also the Ram 1500 has stepped up a notch & Ford 150 has entered the consideration list.

Ranger isn’t really a “1st Year”... while it just returned to the US, current version has been sold in other countries since model year 2012...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10905 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

If you want something like that, you need to head 'down under'.

Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Ranger Raptor would be great, especially if they can fit a Coyote in it.

I for one have moved away from that kind of need-it--spec....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want something like that, you need to head 'down under'.

I’ve loved the Ranger ever since I saw the Australian model several years back. The idea of a small turbo diesel paired up with a manual transmission gets me all excited. That said, that thing there is just awesome. A Ranger with the 3.5 would be unbelievable.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Update for those anxiously waiting to give me further reasons to buy/NOT buy Ranger;

Taking a 3rd look at a 3rd dealer. If all goes well AND they actually give me a GOOD financial deal.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~