SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger 2.3L twin turbo 10 speed auto? WTF??? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Did a short demo drive the other day. Way more amazing than I was anticipating.

Can't find much on long term drive train on this set up. 2019 Rangers have been out for "a while" yet all the stuff I can find are from a thrilled-newby view point.

Anyone with longer use time frame willing to comment?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
2.7L twin turbo

That ought to scoot! I didn't know they were putting those in the Rangers, just the 2.3 turbo four.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
We have a work truck with that engine, don’t think it has the 10 speed transmission in it. I believe it’s a 2015.

Only issue so far was the “auxiliary transmission pump” went out at around 20-25k. Before that malfunction I never knew there was such a part, the 10 speed transmission might not even have it.

I drove it back from the shop. Decent power in a full size 2wd even with what I believe to be the old trans. That work truck is now well over 100k with no other issues, to add I’m not exactly a Ford fan.

That combination in a mid sized truck would probably be outstanding.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have the 2018 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost and the 10 speed. Pretty flawless after a year. It was an adjustment to the 10 speed, but you get used to it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
2.7L? As in V6 2.7L or I4 2.3L?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 17 f150 with the 3.5 turbo and 10 speed. Both of those options are must haves on my next truck. I'd imagine those are well worth their cost in the ranger.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ford Ranger 2.7L twin turbo

The Ranger is a 2.3L Inline 4 Engine. It's actually a Mazda L-series motor. International versions of the Ranger have some interesting diesel choices with up to 370 ft. lbs. of torque.

The 2.7L V6 Ecoboost would be a stark improvement to the performance of the Ranger. Rumor has it that it'll be an option next year.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

My mistake gents. The web site says
"2.3L EcoBoost® Engine with Auto Start Stop Technology Open image overlay for 2.3L EcoBoost® Engine with Auto Start Stop Technology"

I've been looking at enough options/models I must have grown confused.

Given the rather ample carry/tow capacity rating, and I've not had much to do with single turbo let alone 'twin turbo' such matters as thermal issues & etc concern me.

I had a MB 300 turbo diesel years ago that was pretty flawless, but even a new tech 2.3L twin turbo raises my anxiety about 50-100000 mile service life.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

My mistake gents. The web site says
"2.3L EcoBoost® Engine with Auto Start Stop Technology Open image overlay for 2.3L EcoBoost® Engine with Auto Start Stop Technology"

I've been looking at enough options/models I must have grown confused.

Given the rather ample carry/tow capacity rating, and I've not had much to do with single turbo let alone 'twin turbo' such matters as thermal issues & etc concern me.

I had a MB 300 turbo diesel years ago that was pretty flawless, but even a new tech 2.3L twin turbo raises my anxiety about 50-100000 mile service life.

Spot on. The T6 Ranger has been around forever internationally. I've seen them crawling all over the Asian Pacific region and they're great trucks. However...
- They're not worth $40k.
- They aren't sold there with gas turbo engines.
- They don't have fancy 10 speed transmissions.

Like anything I'd give this truck a few years for Ford to get all the bugs worked out.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you buy one, just make sure you buy it at a dealership close to your home given its a proven recall machine. Aside from that, the 2.7L motor seems to be a very competent motor.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 Ranger and I love mine. I've got 15k on it so far, only recall is for a brake light issue.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
2019 Ranger and I love mine. I've got 15k on it so far

I'd love to hear more details of use/mileage/perceived weak point/etc. Address in the hidden vault here if you'd rather do it offline.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Just about 6500 miles on mine, bought in Sept.

No problems, plenty of power.

I got the SuperCrew FX4 Lariat with damn near every option, stickered at $46,430 after rebates, discounts, and haggling, $37,500+ tax/license.

Daily driver to work, every bit as much gusto as my 2015 F150 with the 2.7L V6 eco boost

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10905 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
2019 Ranger and I love mine. I've got 15k on it so far

I'd love to hear more details of use/mileage/perceived weak point/etc. Address in the hidden vault here if you'd rather do it offline.

I drive about 65-70 miles daily to work. Mostly interstate. Mileage is around 22 mpg. I traded in a 2010 F150 with the 4.6 V8, and the Ranger feels as powerful as that truck did. No real downsides or weak points that I've found so far.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The 2.3 EcoBoost has been around in the Mustang and the Explorer for 5 years and is now the base motor in both replacing a normally aspirated V6. The 2.0 version has been around for 10 years.

The 10sp was developed by Ford and GM. It's used in full size pickups from both companies as well as the Mustang and Camaro with much more powerful engines.

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I have the 2018 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost and the 10 speed. Pretty flawless after a year. It was an adjustment to the 10 speed, but you get used to it.

I have a 2018 Expedition with 3.5L twin turbo and 10 speed automatic. I don't find the 10 speed takes anything to get used to, you never really feel it shift as the shifts are seemless and when it does rpm's only drop about 500 rpms and you're still in the powerband. Sometimes it skips a gear at light throttle. I find it to be a great improvement.

That being said, my truck is the first year of the new body style and I have 13k miles on it and have had no issues to speak of. Need to warranty out a passanger door speaker, that's been it so far. Ford generally has their stuff together on new models and the rangers been out a few years now.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I have a 2.7TT in my Fusion Sport, I love it, but only have 2,400 miles on it so far.

I'm surprised that the ranger only had the 2.3. Is that the 'big' engine for it or do they have one with the 3.0 or 3.5?

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10905 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I rented a work van with the 10 speed transmission.

Great on the highway, good option that I could set a max gear for the backwoods route (kept my speed in check) but it did "hunt" in certain sections of the hills.

I got used to it, but mildly annoying at first.

No long term data, just giving you my experience

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3351 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It is the only engine they put in the Ranger, no other option.

Boo. They need to put 3.5TT or Coyote engine in one. A Ranger Raptor would be great, especially if they can fit a Coyote in it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post