SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Phony bugle at veteran funeral
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phony bugle at veteran funeral Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here is a score for Taps.

Played on a trumpet or cornet, these are all open notes, I believe.

Taps can be played all open on a tuba. If that is so, the first position on a trombone would work, too.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I left out the ability to bend notes out, for simplicity.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I did not intend to come across as "one upping", only adding a little fill. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I had heard about this before...it comes up every so often. I wonder how hard it is to play the bugle? I think about giving it a try every time one of these stories comes up. I used to be a damn fine trombone player back in the day and could really get by on all brass except I never tried the bugle. But yes, as discussed....practicing in the house is different than attempting a solemn song in front of an audience.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's not hard. You've played trombone, so you know what it takes to hold one position and then go up and down the scale in that position.

You are talking four steps, and a total of twenty four notes.

None (Taps notes) are above the register that you could do as a trombone player (mouthpiece) to be able to transition to a bugle to play Taps.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bother anyone else that they are deceptive about this?

No. If it bothers you AND you have prior musical training perhaps you should learn to play itand volunteer.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was also a pretty decent trombone player. I earned my buglers badge in Boy Scouts with no problems at all.

In our basement are 3 trombones, 2 trumpets and a flugelhorn - mostly leftovers from kids who played. Taps sounds damn fine on the flugelhorn.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The electronic bugle thing happened at my dad's funeral at Ft. Custer, 25 years ago. I was disappointed, but, implicitly understood why and didn't bring it up.

(One of the honour guard [must've noticed my brief glance at the "bugler,"] quietly apologized to me, aside from the others, and explained it.)

It was a nice ceremony and I appreciated the Army going to the effort, nonetheless.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a retired Army bandsman. We supported Funerals with a real trumpet player whenever we could. At Fort Bliss for example we had two trumpet players supporting funerals every day. Sometimes they each played 6 funerals a day. The military has been cutting bands a lot lately. The Army just cut 5 more, including the band At Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. You can't have it both ways. Real Taps at funerals is not a priority anymore. It is sad, but that is the way it is.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, those of us who can, must. (if possible).

If a man or woman is willing to give their life in the service of their country, the very least we can do, is everything possible to acknowledge that sacrifice to the families of those who give all.

It is a duty that I once trained for, and am able to carry out, so I must.

And I ask any other who are able to consider as well.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post