SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car window tint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car window tint Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
My car windows have a film (V-Kool). I want to apply a 3M film -- it's more effective in my wife's car.

Question: do I need to have the V-Kool film removed first? Or can I have the 3M film applied over the V-Kool film?

Thinking about cost savings as well as perhaps additive properties of both.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm sure somebody who knows more than I do will come along, but I'm pretty sure they would remove the old and install the new.

I just had a work truck done where they tinted the front windshield and ran a strip across the top. This was one layer over another. Every other time I have had windows tinted they do a single layer directly upon the glass.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
A tip the tint guy gave me when I had my car done; don't use any cleaners on the tint, it can contribute to the purple/hazing and degradation of the tint.

Use an oz or two of baby shampoo in a spray bottle with distilled water.

It's all I use now after trying several products, like Invisible Glass. It works better than anything I've tried and is friendly to tints and coatings.

I go back with a rain repellent on the windshield exterior, everything else gets "secret formula".

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
if you were to double up does that put you below the legal tint limit?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Remove existing....Reapply new. And you can safely use any of the spray cleaners that are free of ammonia. I've used this on my tinted windows for years with zero ill effects.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I don't think there is a limit for rear windows so doubling should be okay. I would apply film gradients such that the net transmission is 30%+.

But sounds like I should remove the prior film -- it was expensive and had some metallic / reflective properties to it. Seems wasteful but I want to do it right.

I like the idea of a dark strip across the top of the windshield.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many states outlaw window tint on the windshield, but federal law allows it for commercial trucks. It has to be very light. I used Llumar Air 80. 3M makes Crystalline. It's an almost clear film that still eliminates UV and reflects heat.

I don't think the average person would even know it's there if they weren't told.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
if you were to double up does that put you below the legal tint limit?

VKOOL is a clear tint with silver particles impregnated in it. It doesn't darken and it's UBER expensive. I had 3 large windows done on a yacht (flat windows) 3'x4' and it was $3200. Another one was $2600. It's supposed to stop 98% of the UV and help with heat immensely, it helps a little but not nearly what it claims. I hear the new 3M Crystalline tint is way cheaper and much more effective than VKOOL.

I don't know if you can put tint over it. I would call Vkool and find out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They didn't have the 3m when I did my car with v-kool.

But the 3m is on my wife's car and it is measurably more effective. And half what I paid for the vkool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
They didn't have the 3m when I did my car with v-kool.

But the 3m is on my wife's car and it is measurably more effective. And half what I paid for the vkool.

This is exactly what I've heard from other people in the marine business. VKOOL IS very popular in the yachting industry where price is little consideration. But have heard from friends that the 3M is much cheaper and more effective. I haven't had to tint anything on yachts lately, so I haven't checked prices.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Vkool is metallic, Llumar's Air and 3m's Crystalline are ceramic.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
Here is a link for the tinting rules by state.

http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/...chart%2005.22.17.pdf

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Remove existing....Reapply new. And you can safely use any of the spray cleaners that are free of ammonia. I've used this on my tinted windows for years with zero ill effects.

^^^^^^this

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Many states outlaw window tint on the windshield, but federal law allows it for commercial trucks. It has to be very light. I used Llumar Air 80. 3M makes Crystalline. It's an almost clear film that still eliminates UV and reflects heat.

I don't think the average person would even know it's there if they weren't told.

Most states allow a strip down to the AS1 line.

Yes, I would highly suggest removing the old.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
My car windows have a film (V-Kool). I want to apply a 3M film -- it's more effective in my wife's car.

Question: do I need to have the V-Kool film removed first? Or can I have the 3M film applied over the V-Kool film?

Thinking about cost savings as well as perhaps additive properties of both.

Use steam to remove the existing tint. Good lord remove the existing tint first and do it right. 3m Crystaline if you are looking for the most heat rejection.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2267 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post