SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Family of Michael Brown Settles Lawsuit Against City of Ferguson
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family of Michael Brown Settles Lawsuit Against City of Ferguson Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think the family should have paid the city, not the other way around.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It's taxpayer money. The public has a right to know how much they are paying these dregs. Mad

That's what I'm thinking. Private parties can keep their settlements quiet but I never heard of a government agency doing this.

If you read the posts, you'll see the insurance is paying (its how they determined its under the $3 million insurance limit). The city and the police officers named didn't pay a cent, the private insurance company picked up the tab. The increase in premiums are too remote to make a direct connection. But good luck arguing your point of view.

I read the posts and I'm not arguing a point of view. I'm asking how can a government agency not reveal the details of a settlement. How would the town or city avoid a FOIA request?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Give assholes money, they just become bigger assholes. They could make a Jerry Springer like reality show with shit show this "family" will create with this money. They truly will carry on their son's legacy.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not a fucking penny.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if one or both end up dead.

If you combine that amount of money with that amount of stupid, you are likely correct.

Both of these need a repeat for emphasis.

And unless and until they admit the cultural roots of the problem, it will only get worse.

That is a truth too painful to consider. Better to displace culpability to those who will not object.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29681 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If I'm the city of Ferguson and their carrier I'd hold my nose and pay the $3m and be done with the case.

For the city it beats the cost of police OT if a civil case goes in their favor and since this is in a predominately black part of town (likely a muni court so the case would be transferred) the jury will find for the family and award a bazillion dollars to get back at whitey and The Man. It would be like the OJ jury where facts didn't matter.

For Ins. Co., they're going to pay $3m no matter what a jury says so cut the shit show and just pay the money.

For the PI attorney he knows he's getting a favorable verdict that will not be rational and is subject to being overturned on appeal. Rather to take his $1m fee and scoot.

For the family of Brown, their son was a loser who was destined for nothingness in life and this is far better than anything they could have dreamed up. It got them the "Hands up, Don't shoot!" phrase so they made some money off the T-shirts and got a little fame too. Money will be gone within 2 years. It's just the way it will be.

Posts: 4074 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Flashlightboy,

What you say is correct, but that doesn't make it less aggravating.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
If only this thug knew what a wonderful thing he'd do for his family, just by getting killed.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Ok, first some points, most of these were raised by Chet Pleblan (St. Louis attorney who represented cops and did a lot of civil suits):

1. The City of Ferguson, Police Department, Jackson, and Wilson had no say in the settlement. That was decided and handled by the Insurance Company (so no FOIA requests honored, not a government agency).
2. The suit was in Federal Court in the City of St. Louis which would draw jurors from the City of St. Louis. Hmmm, what are the demographics of the City of St. Louis? Also Federal Civil trials in St. Louis have a history of huge payoffs for the plaintiffs.
3. Remember the credible witnesses from the Grand Jury, the ones who actually saw what happened that backed Wilson's story? You know the ones that weren't named. Guess what, in the civil trial they would be named, depositions would be taken, etc. How long do you think it would take for the BLM Terrorists and Leftist Media to convince those witnesses to change their story? Witnesses change their story, would probably force the State or Federal Prosecutor to seek an indictment on Wilson. Remember there was no trial, so double jeopardy did not attach.

The pay out has to be below 3 million because that is as high as the insurance company would pay out. Anything over would come from Ferguson and then they would have a say on settle or trial.

I don't like that they settled but I can see why.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

3. Remember the credible witnesses from the Grand Jury, the ones who actually saw what happened that backed Wilson's story? You know the ones that weren't named. Guess what, in the civil trial they would be named, depositions would be taken, etc. How long do you think it would take for the BLM Terrorists and Leftist Media to convince those witnesses to change their story? Witnesses change their story, would probably force the State or Federal Prosecutor to seek an indictment on Wilson. Remember there was no trial, so double jeopardy did not attach.

~snort~ Not a freakin' chance. Give me a break.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bet a mediocre breakfast that the castile family gets over $3. mill, if they don't get at the very least 3 mil , they lawyer they chose is a crook

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

~snort~ Not a freakin' chance. Give me a break.

Really? We have seen several trials now for cops that should have never been indicted, let alone gone to trial (Baltimore, Milwaukee, Tulsa). The only reason these cases went forward is because a DA wanted to make points with a certain section of the community. All it would take in St. Louis County is the current Prosecutor voted out and one like Baltimore or Chicago voted in.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
They'll all piss through it in 90 days and be back on the dole.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFJBd40Awo

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Settlement in Michael Brown suit $1.5 million, Ferguson attorney says

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...fc-56db5b3bbe05.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

As long as this,"it's cheaper to settle" attitude prevails, we will continue to see settlements like this which are an affront to a reasonable person's sensibilities. Sadly, my respect for the law also diminishes each time I read of such settlements.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can the city of Ferguson sue them for all the overtime and riots they caused ?

run up their legal fees to right around 2 million

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"Mike Brown: Chosen For Change"

Yeah, chosen for $1.5 Million and some change... Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

As long as this,"it's cheaper to settle" attitude prevails, we will continue to see settlements like this which are an affront to a reasonable person's sensibilities. Sadly, my respect for the law also diminishes each time I read of such settlements.

It's the reality of civil jurisprudence today.

quote:
According to the most recently-available statistics, about 95 percent of pending lawsuits end in a pre-trial settlement. This means that just one in 20 personal injury cases is resolved in a court of law by a judge or jury.

http://thelawdictionary.org/ar...-injury-settlements/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
$1.5 million isn't a bad settlement IMO. You'll spend seven figures defending that suit and you might lose a hell of a lot more than $1.5 at trial.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

It's the reality of civil jurisprudence today.

quote:
According to the most recently-available statistics, about 95 percent of pending lawsuits end in a pre-trial settlement. This means that just one in 20 personal injury cases is resolved in a court of law by a judge or jury.

http://thelawdictionary.org/ar...-injury-settlements/

It's the reality of civil jurisprudence today because it works 95% of the time. That doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't represent justice in any meaningful way.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post